Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #81
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

UML and BU in the HE finals just seems weird.
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #82
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

#DeKeyserWatch: If Notre Dame beats Ohio State in today's CCHA semifinal, I believe that will mathematically end WMU's season. Then it's on.

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters

Pretty sure the Red Wings already have a jersey with his name. I would be shocked if he didn't sign with them.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #83
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so that ends Providence's season, but BC will still play the national tournament, correct?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #84
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes BC will still move on and PC will be done.
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #85
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they'll sign Tim Schaller now, he looked good at the prospect camp last year and he was named HE's best defensive forward this year. Maybe an AHL deal for the rest of the year, just like Seigo?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #86
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I wonder if they'll sign Tim Schaller now, he looked good at the prospect camp last year and he was named HE's best defensive forward this year. Maybe an AHL deal for the rest of the year, just like Seigo?
I'd like to see it. Found a way to watch a few of the Providence games online, and besides Gillies, he was always the guy I found most impressed by. Solid player without many holes in his game. He won't ever be an impact player in the NHL by any stretch but if he keeps developing he could end up being a bottom 6 player if everything goes his way.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #87
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark me down for wanting to see Schaller in a Heat uniform. While the Heat are overrun with centres right now, it wouldn't hurt to see what he can do.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #88
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the deal with Schaller anyways?

I see he's listed as forward and D-man on eliteprospects.

He plays center mostly right?

He has good size.

Why did his point totals drop so much this season?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #89
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What's the deal with Schaller anyways?

I see he's listed as forward and D-man on eliteprospects.

He plays center mostly right?

He has good size.

Why did his point totals drop so much this season?
I believe he was Providence's top centre and captain this season. AFAIK, he never played D.

I suspect he was invited to the Flames camp to get into Janko's ear about going to PC this year, so he deserves at least a look in Abbotsford for that.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #90
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I believe he was Providence's top centre and captain this season. AFAIK, he never played D.

I suspect he was invited to the Flames camp to get into Janko's ear about going to PC this year, so he deserves at least a look in Abbotsford for that.
Yeah, it's weird to see that on EP, because it's the first I've heard of it at all.

Anyways, big body, good defensively, skates well from what I've heard, a center.....wouldn't hurt at all to give him a look.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #91
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

According to Jankowski's twitter, Schaller was also his roommate on the road this year.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #92
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
According to Jankowski's twitter, Schaller was also his roommate on the road this year.
He also roomed with Schaller at Flames development camp. Schaller's a pretty good egg.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #93
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
He also roomed with Schaller at Flames development camp. Schaller's a pretty good egg.
If he is indeed a "good egg", is a natural leader and combine that with being 6'2, 210, I would give him a chance at a AHL deal at the very least.

Is he the kind of guy you risk a 3 year ELC on as he is only 22?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #94
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Updated for the NCAA tournament, and road to the Frozen Four.

Last night (March 24th) The NCAA released the brackets for the road the the Frozen 4.

East Regional
1. Quinnipac v. 4. Canisius - Mar 30th 3:30pm
2. Boston College v. 3. Union - Mar 30th 7:00pm
Regional Championship - Mar 31st 4:30pm

Midwest Regional
1. Notre Dame v. 4. St. Cloud State - Mar 30th 11:30am
2. Miami (Ohio) v. 3. Minnesota State (Mankato) - Mar 30th 3:00pm
Regional Championship - Mar 31st 2:00pm

Northeast Regional
1. UMass-Lowell v. 4. Wisconsin - Mar 29th 2:30pm
2. New Hampshire v. 3. Denver - Mar 29th 6:00pm
Regional Championship - Mar 30th 4:30pm

West Regional
1. Minnesota v. 4. Yale - Mar 29 12:00pm
2. North Dakota v. 3 Niagra - 3:30pm
Regional Championship - Mar 30th 2:00pm

Frozen Four:

Winner of East Regional vs. Midwest Regional - April 11th
Winner of Northeast Regional vs. West Regional - April 11th
Updated the topic and OP for the NCAA tournament

Looks like Notre Dame has the best chance to advance to the Frozen Four of all teams with Flames prospects, Wisconsin has their hands full in round 1 and BC will have to beat the top rated Quinnipac in the Regional Championship to advance to the Frozen Four. That said Go Eagles! Go Badgers! and Go Irish!

I also have to say it really burns me that UNH is a #2 seed in the regionals and Providence didn't even get an at large berth, the NCAA needs to find a better way to prevent garbage like this. Providence proved they could beat a top 2 seed in a best of 3, they deserve a chance.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #95
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Updated the topic and OP for the NCAA tournament

Looks like Notre Dame has the best chance to advance to the Frozen Four of all teams with Flames prospects, Wisconsin has their hands full in round 1 and BC will have to beat the top rated Quinnipac in the Regional Championship to advance to the Frozen Four. That said Go Eagles! Go Badgers! and Go Irish!

I also have to say it really burns me that UNH is a #2 seed in the regionals and Providence didn't even get an at large berth, the NCAA needs to find a better way to prevent garbage like this. Providence proved they could beat a top 2 seed in a best of 3, they deserve a chance.
UNH was a top 10 team pretty much all year and has the resume to deserve a 2 seed in the tournament. Providence simply did not have the resume to get in. The pairwise rankings, which takes into account most of the selection criteria and tries to fairly compare teams, has Providence tied for 22nd. Providence went 7-11-4 against "Teams Under Consideration" (basically potential tournament teams) while Yale, who was the lowest at large, went 10-10-3. There's nothing garbage about it, this is a tournament that has to select teams from a number of different leagues, you can't put in teams based off of a single playoff series.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #96
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
UNH was a top 10 team pretty much all year and has the resume to deserve a 2 seed in the tournament. Providence simply did not have the resume to get in. The pairwise rankings, which takes into account most of the selection criteria and tries to fairly compare teams, has Providence tied for 22nd. Providence went 7-11-4 against "Teams Under Consideration" (basically potential tournament teams) while Yale, who was the lowest at large, went 10-10-3. There's nothing garbage about it, this is a tournament that has to select teams from a number of different leagues, you can't put in teams based off of a single playoff series.
Providence was 17th in the pairwise rankings and dropped 6 spots after beating UNH in the best of 3. I'm sorry but that is shady as ####.

Also what is the point of a playoff if you can lose and still advance? It's stupid.

They need to get their crap together and have 4 conferences rather than 5 and keep it simple and have the 4 conference champions meet in the frozen 4
Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #97
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Providence was 17th in the pairwise rankings and dropped 6 spots after beating UNH in the best of 3. I'm sorry but that is shady as ####.

Also what is the point of a playoff if you can lose and still advance? It's stupid.

They need to get their crap together and have 4 conferences rather than 5 and keep it simple and have the 4 conference champions meet in the frozen 4
Huh? The Hockey East Playoffs and the Frozen Four are not related. The only tie between the conference tournaments and the Frozen Four is that conference winners get auto-bids.

And yeah, I'm sure that the pair wise computer generated results were manipulated to drop Providence Couldn't possibly be the result of other games or anything. Also, Providence was 22nd in the final pairwise rankings, not 17th.

I hate complaints like this. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how college hockey even works. The NCAA doesn't dictate conference alignments, it sets up and selects a post season tournament. Providence did not have the resume to bump anyone out of the field, plain and simple. Winning one series doesn't change that.

Btw: If you go by the KRACH ranking which some people prefer Providence is still 4 spots back of Yale, who took the last at large seed.

Last edited by valo403; 03-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #98
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh? The Hockey East Playoffs and the Frozen Four are not related. The only tie between the conference tournaments and the Frozen Four is that conference winners get auto-bids.

And yeah, I'm sure that the pair wise computer generated results were manipulated to drop Providence Couldn't possibly be the result of other games or anything. Also, Providence was 22nd in the final pairwise rankings, not 17th.

I hate complaints like this. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how college hockey even works. The NCAA doesn't dictate conference alignments, it sets up and selects a post season tournament. Providence did not have the resume to bump anyone out of the field, plain and simple. Winning one series doesn't change that.

Btw: If you go by the KRACH ranking which some people prefer Providence is still 4 spots back of Yale, who took the last at large seed.
I understand how college hockey works. I am saying it's ####ing stupid how its set up. It is flawed, yes saying it was "shady" was the wrong choice of words because I know its not some kind of conspiracy. But NCAA rankings and tournament/bowl game selections have always been deeply flawed in every sport.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #99
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand how college hockey works. I am saying it's ####ing stupid how its set up. It is flawed, yes saying it was "shady" was the wrong choice of words because I know its not some kind of conspiracy. But NCAA rankings and tournament/bowl game selections have always been deeply flawed in every sport.
I don't think there's any non-biased person out there who would argue that Providence deserved a spot more than Yale, and that's who they were competing with, not UNH.

The fact of the matter is that the Frozen Four is about your entire body of work, the selection is not a seeded playoff nor should it be, it's simply impossible to do that with the nature of the various leagues. Sure it would be great to have 4 conferences of equal strength that played down to the title, but that's not reality and it never will be reality so there's really no point discussing it as anything more than a what if scenario.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #100
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ya but UNH doesn't have two Flames draft picks on it so your logic is meaningless.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote