Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #341
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to hear Northendzone!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #342
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are Boston bound tomorrow morning for tryout for the 08 Boston Jr Bruins. Should be a great experience for Will. approx 75 kids trying out.

He has a big sign up on his wall that he made with 2018 Brick tournament #16 Will Clark. Getting to that tournament is his goal and this is his first step.

I'm really excited for him the best part for me though is the fact that he is even more excited about just seeing all the kids that he played with down there in tournaments this spring and summer. they facetime and text on their ipods all the time so it is great that they can hang out for a day and play some hockey together.

Should be a great ride.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #343
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wow, sounds like the big time. good luck to your son!!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #344
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
We are Boston bound tomorrow morning for tryout for the 08 Boston Jr Bruins. Should be a great experience for Will. approx 75 kids trying out.

He has a big sign up on his wall that he made with 2018 Brick tournament #16 Will Clark. Getting to that tournament is his goal and this is his first step.

I'm really excited for him the best part for me though is the fact that he is even more excited about just seeing all the kids that he played with down there in tournaments this spring and summer. they facetime and text on their ipods all the time so it is great that they can hang out for a day and play some hockey together.

Should be a great ride.
Good for you and your kid. I hope it works out for him. It really sounds like he has the right attitude. Go out there, try your best and have fun.

Looking back now at my own teenage years, I really had the wrong attitude. I put so much pressure on myself to perform at tryouts and such that I played bad. My parents are definitely not to blame though. But I always had in the back of my mind "Dont be a failure, you have to make the team, etc etc" or "so much money was dumped into your hockey, it's not just for fun, it has to pay off, etc etc". I ruined my own confidence.

I'm sure you had a big part in your kids attitude development so good job to you too
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #345
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

out of curiousity, was your son scouted? what happens if he makes the team - how often do they practice, or do they just go play tournements?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #346
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Thought I add yet another update on my son's journey....star date 93454.55

Today was son started the day with the aa team working the gate, 15 minutes into the game it is 3-0 and I notice my son is warming up. Two minutes later it is 4-0 and my son is on his way in. He got off to a good start, but they scored the 5th goal before the period ended. He played steadily the rest of the way. His team pushed back and got three to close the gap; however, the other team scored two more and they were good goals.

At the end of the day my son played about 103 minutes over the course of almost two games and gave up 6 goals. It is a small sample, but his stats line will likely be better than their regular goalies. His time with the aa team is coming to an end for now, but, with his play, I would assume that if he is called up again, the coaches will be open to giving him more opportunities.

As an aside, he played for our community team two hours later and turned in a solid game as we won 5-1.

He had a good hockey day.....
Will be checking out the AAA Northstars tonight as they are playing down here in Lethbridge for the first time this year, I'm really only familiar with one D man from the team. This is a make up game but the Northstars will be the home team due to lack of ice in and around Calgary.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #347
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
out of curiousity, was your son scouted? what happens if he makes the team - how often do they practice, or do they just go play tournements?

He got asked to play on a spring/summer team for a few tournaments this year. A team down there was looking for a kid and is friends with his coach here. He recommended Will so we went down for the tournaments.

A bunch of those kids played on the jr Bruins last year as well so ended up he got asked to come down and tryout.

Will had. Friend that went to the Brick 2 years ago and Will has wanted to get to this tournament ever since. Still 2 years away but The jr b's are the closest team to us that gets an invite.

This year is the start of the Brick series. 4 tournaments with Brick charter teams. Toronto in April, Boston May, Minneapolis in June and Vancouver in July plus 2 camp weekends in Boston. Huge commitment if he makes it but also a great opportunity for him. Not sure dad can afford it but we will do our best burn through some airline points for sure.

The team lists came out for the tryouts tonight and he has been on his iPad for an hour talking to all his buds to see what teams they are on and making plans for Wednesday.

If he makes it awesome but even if he doesn't it will be a great experience for him.

We head back down again in a couple of weeks with his local team to a tournament which most of the same kids again will be in and he can't wait for all his friends from home to meet his American buds. This is the part that makes me smile more than anything loving hockey and making great friends and memories.

Dad loves being along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #348
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well tonight my son finally broke thru as he was in net for his first win at the AA level as he was called up and the other goalie had a case of the flu and a wonky ankle.

He gave up a goal in the first minute, but was steady the rest of the way as his team won 4-2 in a very entertaining and hard hitting game.

My son has also been given the opportunity to join the team this weekend for an out of town tournament. This will be a great opportunity for my son to grow as both a person and a player as the boys ride the bus together, and room together and are forced to be independent young men.

I will drop him off for the bus on Thursday and then make the drive out myself as my wife is unable to get away for the weekend.

The coach has promised him two starts; so here is hoping he makes the best of this opportunity.

I know it is only AA, but my son started hockey in novice and he was on team 6 playing in div 8 a I am a very proud poppa right now and very happy for him as he is finally seeing his hard work start to pay dividends.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #349
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other elite minor hockey news, Springbank PeeWee 10 is 7-1.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #350
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ sounds like your team may be moving up after christmas
Old 11-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #351
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ sounds like your team may be moving up after christmas
Maybe - it's a weird division. Half the teams are very good and half are well - not, and it seems like the good ones haven't played each other yet to even things out. 7-1 doesn't get you first place for example.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #352
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Bantam team down here in Lethbridge has been off to a great start, really this group of kids has been building for this season for the past four years. The recently won the Rocky Mountain Classic at Winsport and have been invited to the John Reid in St Albert. They are certainly not the biggest kids but they grind it out like pros, have the best coach in bantam hockey and move the puck better them a lot of junior teams.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #353
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
The Bantam team down here in Lethbridge has been off to a great start, really this group of kids has been building for this season for the past four years. The recently won the Rocky Mountain Classic at Winsport and have been invited to the John Reid in St Albert. They are certainly not the biggest kids but they grind it out like pros, have the best coach in bantam hockey and move the puck better them a lot of junior teams.
Hey Derek, I was just in Lethbridge to play your Bantam team. My son is a forward on the AAA Bisons here in Calgary. It looks like those are the top two teams in the province. We beat Lethbridge in that game and tied the game at home but they are really impressive. We'll also be at the St. Albert tourney. Great hockey to watch and like some of the other stories in this thread, it's a really special time in my son's life.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #354
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from med hat today as my son was playing in a bantam aaourney. His team finished with a 2-3 record. I all their losses the boys registered almost 50 shots, they just could not finish.

My son played two games as was ok, and very good. In the second game (5-3 win), he made a huge save at the right point in time.

I'd imagine the reguaolie will start practicing sometime this week.

My son enjoyed being on the bus with the by, and I enjoyed being single over the weekend.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #355
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trip down for the Jr Bruins went well about 75 2008 kids trying out. Actually had a kid from Hong Kong that flew in for the tryouts. crazy.

Will had a really good first game but unfortunately took a nasty edge off of one of his skates part way through the second game. they tried to fix it on the bench with no real luck he still went out and worked hard even though he looked like he couldnt skate.

We came off the ice proud of how he played and fought through the skate issue and figured he was in the mix but likely wasn't going to make the team we were both ok with it.. got to play some good hockey and see his US hockey buds for the day. worth the long drive.

Well word came late last week and he has been invited to play 2 tournaments and 2 training weekends with them and very likley will be adding a 3rd tournament if we want it.

I was really surprised as i said above i thought he was in the mix but likely on the outside.

Super proud of Will should be a fun spring for him and dad.

The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #356
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

double post

Last edited by TimSJ; 12-04-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #357
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ cool, should be a fun time for you guys as you travel to boston and other locations - i shudder to think of the associated cost though.....

i also take a second to provide and update on my son as his hockey journey continues. he is still currently with the AA team as one of thier regular goalies remains sidelined and on concussion protocol. My son has now been practicing regulary with them for about a month now, and of course he is really getting emotionally invested. i am thankful that i have an understanding employer and i was able to shift my work hours from 6.30 am to 3 pm so that i can rush home, pick him up and get to practice 3 times per week. so far we have not had a lot of conflicts with our community team; however, that also changes starting next weekend as the AA team has games on Saturday and Sunday and our community team has a tournement next weekend - so I will have to discuss the situation with the community coaches and see if an arrangement can be worked out.

The injured AA goalie is apparently out until sometime after the 8th - but it will likely be extended to the 20th or so.

for the past month my son has been on the ice as many as 7 times per week as we juggle the demands of two teams, and he tells me he is not getting tired of it yet.

I am hoping that in the new year we can focus on him being on one team - as the AA team does not ahve to lock down thier roster until early january but in order for my son to be added to the roster full time, the otehr goaile needs to officially give up his spot.

Meanwhile, our community association team keeps rolling along, and we will be moving up from div 5 to div 4 in the enw year - so it will be interesting to see how the teams plays as they will face more pressure......
Old 02-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #358
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figured this was a good thread to ask this in.

Looking for a good spring hockey program, (5 on 5), for a 2005 born goalie.

My son was all set with the Jr Hitmen, but due to low registration numbers, they cancelled that team for this year.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #359
Pepper2489
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My son's 2005 spring team looks like it has two goalies right now but if one drops out I could let you know ASAP. What winter team does your son play on currently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Figured this was a good thread to ask this in.

Looking for a good spring hockey program, (5 on 5), for a 2005 born goalie.

My son was all set with the Jr Hitmen, but due to low registration numbers, they cancelled that team for this year.
Pepper2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pepper2489 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #360
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ too bad the Hitmen team was cancelled as a goalie parent, one thing I like about the Hitmen program is that they are comitted to having a goalie coach out there for all practices (last year, the goalie coach of my sons team was out there about 90% of the time - which to me was good enough).

I am not sure if there are many spring programs that are as comitted to developing goalies.