Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 04:43 PM   #2401
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm if I see a used 3090 on Facebook with "Thermal pads and CPU paste professionally replaced." for $1000 I think I can assume it was a mining GPU.

EDIT: Mind you if they did that then maybe they're actually taking care of the card, maybe I should ask them if they undervolted it and what kind of mining setup they had.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #2402
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hm if I see a used 3090 on Facebook with "Thermal pads and CPU paste professionally replaced." for $1000 I think I can assume it was a mining GPU.

EDIT: Mind you if they did that then maybe they're actually taking care of the card, maybe I should ask them if they undervolted it and what kind of mining setup they had.
It's exactly that. GDDR6X cards have to have the thermal pads replaced or they can't mine at reasonable speeds without burning out. With a proper replacement it will run at a very good temp (and actually games at much lower temp than it would without).

You can force a miner to send you a screenshot of the card with a 10 minute OCCT VRAM test if you want to confirm there's no VRAM issues from it being mined on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 09:02 AM   #2403
photon

Exp:

Moore's Law YouTube was saying that they may delay the 4000 series until Nov/Dec due to a large supply of 3000 cards... I'm not in a rush, even if I bought a 4K monitor I can still game at 1440p for a while, might be worth waiting for new and used card prices to drop even further.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #2404
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good motherboard for a gaming PC? Probably looking to put a Ryzen 5600x in it, and I definitely want wifi support. Other than that not really sure what to look for.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #2405
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a good motherboard for a gaming PC? Probably looking to put a Ryzen 5600x in it, and I definitely want wifi support. Other than that not really sure what to look for.
I went with an ASUS TUF Z690 PLUS and its phenomenal.
However its DDR4 so if you're building for DDR5 you'll have to look elsewhere.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #2406
photon

Exp:

I went with Gigabyte for my 5900X and it's been mostly ok, there does seem to be some flakyness around USB as sometimes I'll get random disconnects of USB devices even after a fresh Windows install, but I guess I can't say for sure that it's due to the motherboard.

Have always had good success with ASUS
Old 07-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #2407
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't go wrong with ASUS
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #2408
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

For mobos, I've had 1 ASUS and 2 Gigabytes fail within 6 months.

After 25 years of building, I'd had to say current Quality ranking is probably something like:

Motherboards:
ASUS > MSI > EVGA/ASRock > Gigabyte

Video Cards (third-party):
ASUS > MSI/EVGA > Gigabyte/Sapphire > Powercolor/PNY/Zotac/XFX/Inno3D

Power Supplies:
Seasonic/HP > Corsair/Dell > Silverstone/Antec/MSI/ASUS > EVGA/Thermaltake/InWin > Cooler Master/Rosewill > Gigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #2409
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do people decide that motherboard performance is great? Outside of video cards/monitors, it either seems to work as advertised or not right?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #2410
photon

Exp:

Pretty much. You can find performance benchmarks for motherboards but they're going to be within the margin of error everything else being equal unless the motherboard is cheating (which has happened).

There's other differences like overclock better, deliver cleaner power, run cooler, and of course the various features, but yeah a $1000 motherboard isn't going to be significantly faster than a $250 one at stock speeds.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #2411
photon

Exp:

And yeah I'd generally agree with Psych's tier list.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #2412
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... is now the time to build something? 3080s seem to be around 1K, 3070s less than that? Ryzen 9 5900x $500 , or Ryzen 7 5800x $350? Seems borderline reasonable for the moment, I feel like everyone is waiting for the 4000 series stuff.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #2413
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know some way of tracking what services are meddling with specific software processes? Thinking something that says “software X is being tracked / audited by windows defender, bitlocker, etc. I have a work PC built for large data conversations but big brother has added so many security services, it’s painful but I need to prove it’s actually due to their security software. I can see them running in the task manager service list, but I’d like to figure out which ones are directly impacting the conversion process. I’m guessing something is auditing every transaction the program makes, especially the read / write between drives.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:17 PM   #2414
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So... is now the time to build something? 3080s seem to be around 1K, 3070s less than that? Ryzen 9 5900x $500 , or Ryzen 7 5800x $350? Seems borderline reasonable for the moment, I feel like everyone is waiting for the 4000 series stuff.
I figure I might as well wait. 4000 series is just around the corner and my 1080 is still chugging along. There's also really nothing I want to play on PC that the 1080 can't handle either, since I'm doing so much more gaming with the XSX/PS5. I think my plan will be to upgrade in a couple of years when the 4000 series stock is stable (knock on wood). Hopefully crypto doesn't make a comeback anytime soon
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:58 AM   #2415
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I feel like everyone is waiting for the 4000 series stuff.
Yeah, I'm seeing more 3080s available and it's tempting but I think I'm going to wait and see how the 4000 series compares. I was considering building a new rig last Black Friday and just keep my old card until I got a 3080 or 4000 series card but didn't do enough research on what parts I should get and was on the fence on whether I should move from Intel to AMD.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #2416
photon

Exp:

There's so many of them available, it is sooooo tempting.

The new Samsung Neo G8 32" monitor looks really good, if it was flat I'd probably order one sight unseen. Not a fan of the curve, but the rest of the monitor is impressive.

I've never had a VA panel monitor, stuck to IPS since my first LCDs, but all the reviews are really impressive.

I'd look at the QD-OLED monitors but I don't want wide screen and I've heard that the sub-pixel pattern is not great for text rendering.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #2417
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In other words, don't buy local used because !used! components are overpriced in calgary. Wait for ebay prices to drop if looking at higher than 3070. Apparently there's a vast amount of miner's in asia wanting to dump cards in north america so waiting may be the value play.

In regards to processors:

unless you have specific workloads, 8-10 year old processors will probably work. Nothing new for VR so anything that came out circa 2015-2016 is still usable.

Otherwise, for AMD 5800x3d is last hurrah for AM4, and waiting on Zen 4 to come out Q4, everything is shifting over to DDR5, as like everything else prices have come down, so it may make sense in either a capacity standpoint or maybe that one specific function that it's faster than ddr4 in.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Cliche; 07-17-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #2418
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering this build, but couple questions I'd love everyone's input on...

1. Recommend me a motherboard that'll work in this configuration with the nano case? I could always switch to a Fractal Compact but I just like the nano.

2. Which of the two RAM sets there should I go with? This may be linked to question 1... going to DDR5 seems like a good idea when it's on sale like that but the Caster set does seem to get really good press so I'm thinking it might be worth the extra dough.

3. I thought about going to 3080 on this, but it's just... it's 400 bucks more than this at minimum and I just don't see it giving me anywhere near 40% better results.

EDIT: Three configurations I could go with...

Cheaper build
Spoiler!

Medium build
Spoiler!

Fancy build
Spoiler!

(Note: I already have the 1TB 980 pro NVME so the HDD storage is extra.)
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-17-2022 at 04:32 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #2419
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this belongs here. If not let me know and I will move it…

My (13 year old) daughter has been asking for a gaming PC and I have no idea where to even start. He current game of choice is MineCraft, but she is interested in other “wold building” games, and potentially putting up YouTube videos etc. She is very adamant that she wants a desktop PC and not a laptop.

What is a good starter option? Should I just go to Memory Express and get one of the cheaper gaming PCs? Build something custom?

Any help and insight is very much appreciated
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:43 AM   #2420
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d go with building it yourself but maybe make it a “together” activity with you and your daughter? Might be a fun bonding and learning experience?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post: