Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've played with the S and the iPhone 4 and personally there is no comparison. 5 seconds in my hand is all it took to realize how crappy the Galaxy S was. It feels like a toy, and honestly, the screen is not as good as the iphone. Open platform aside, if you want a phone that feels decent and just works, i'd go with the iphone.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

looks like the iphone is ahead right now. thanks for the input.
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynwa03 View Post
I've played with the S and the iPhone 4 and personally there is no comparison. 5 seconds in my hand is all it took to realize how crappy the Galaxy S was. It feels like a toy, and honestly, the screen is not as good as the iphone. Open platform aside, if you want a phone that feels decent and just works, i'd go with the iphone.
I've done the same and I really can't see that much of a difference, at least nothing worth the difference in price. I didn't much like how the iPhone felt, but then again I'm generally not a big fan of the look&feel of Apple stuff, so that wasn't a big surprise. That white plastic just doesn't do it for me and is getting quite old. For that price I'd at least expect something a little more fresh. Unfortunately since the iPhone is the big name on the market, many designers want to imitate the look.

In any case I know plenty of happy Galaxy users, it's definitely the popular choice with the people I know.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I thought you weren't allowed to return smart phones?
You can return them as long as you do not exceed 100 minutes or 14 days, or something like that. Check your contract it is in there for all phones.

As for pixelation, that was IMO. However, when you are using the demo unit, go to CP, and browse around, and read posts. Then go to the Apple store and do the same thing. Make sure to zoom in so the text is big enough to read. When I did that, it was night and day.

"Super AMOLED" is a marketing term, just like retna display for iPhone4. It really means nothing. That is why I say to test it out by doing some web browsing.

I don't think I had a defective unit, as googling "Samsung Galaxy S reboot loop" comes up with a lot of hits. Maybe they have fixed the firmware. Oh and another issue I had was with GPS, it didn't work at all. It would always time out.

Anyways, like I said, just my 2 cents. Some folks here have it, and are happy, which is great to hear. I really wanted to like mine, since I am anti-Apple, pro-Android. However, I just think the platform is way too open, so it has it's issues.

I found a happy medium to be a jailbroken iPhone 4. It works, has great apps, just doesn't have flash. Which to tell you the truth I have not missed/had problems with at all.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I've done the same and I really can't see that much of a difference, at least nothing worth the difference in price. I didn't much like how the iPhone felt, but then again I'm generally not a big fan of the look&feel of Apple stuff, so that wasn't a big surprise. That white plastic just doesn't do it for me and is getting quite old. For that price I'd at least expect something a little more fresh. Unfortunately since the iPhone is the big name on the market, many designers want to imitate the look.

In any case I know plenty of happy Galaxy users, it's definitely the popular choice with the people I know.
Two things:

1. The iPhone 4 is not white, nor is it plastic. It is black and 100% aluminium and glass.
2. The difference in price is $10. iPhone is 159.99, Galaxy is 149.99.

The guy's just asking for advice on picking a new phone. It doesn't benefit anyone to stray from the facts.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I think you're full of crap and haven't played with an iPhone 4 since the white version hasn't be available yet.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #27
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
if they come out with a different version of OS for the galaxy it wont work? why would any manufacture do that?
Don't be fooled with the "open platform". As long as you have to deal with a carrier, it is not open. They decide if you can have the latest Android release and that may limit you to what applications you are able to run. It would drive me nuts to see all the new features rolled into an OS update and have to wait months to get my hands on it.

Yes you can root it and install a ROM that gets you the latest OS if available but you can also Jailbreak an iPhone and install non sanctioned apps as well (opening it up).

Android phones also seem to reach end of life rather quickly. Apple has typically supported 3 hardware revisions with their OS updates. The oldest having limited support but usually that gets you close to your hardware upgrade eligibility. Apple pushes the carriers hard to offer upgrades at a reasonable price and timeline so that most have the latest and greatest. I have no idea what Android users get for eligibilities.

The Galaxy is a nice phone. I agree with those who say it feels cheep. It is very light and thin but for some reason feels delicate and almost like a fake phone. Not a huge deal I guess.

The screen, while bright and vibrant is nowhere near that of an iPhone or even a Droid. No one renders fonts like Apple does. It's no surprise that the Galaxy's fonts look poor in comparison.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #28
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I think you're full of crap and haven't played with an iPhone 4 since the white version hasn't be available yet.
Thanks for the lingo but I was merely stating myself poorly. I generally don't fancy Apple design, which mostly means the essentially trademark white plastic.

Yes, I am aware the iPhone 4 itself is not white, it's just yet another Apple design I don't go for. (Not that it's ugly, just meh.)

But admit I was quite wrong about the price part. I expected the price difference to be similar to what it is in Europe (more exactly: Finland where I looked at it.)

I admit I was actually wrong about that, for some reason the iPhone is much better priced in the NA market than it is in Europe.

Here: (prices without contracts)
iPhone 4 (16 GB version) starts at 838€. (I'm not kidding.)
Galaxy S starts at around 506€

Here the iPhone is about 50% more expensive than, well, essentially anything else.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the lingo but I was merely stating myself poorly. I generally don't fancy Apple design, which mostly means the essentially trademark white plastic.

Yes, I am aware the iPhone 4 itself is not white, it's just yet another Apple design I don't go for. (Not that it's ugly, just meh.)

But admit I was quite wrong about the price part. I expected the price difference to be similar to what it is in Europe (more exactly: Finland where I looked at it.)

I admit I was actually wrong about that, for some reason the iPhone is much better priced in the NA market than it is in Europe.

Here: (prices without contracts)
iPhone 4 (16 GB version) starts at 838€. (I'm not kidding.)
Galaxy S starts at around 506€

Here the iPhone is about 50% more expensive than, well, essentially anything else.
Apple's prices in Europe include VAT and everything else.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #30
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Apple's prices in Europe include VAT and everything else.
No different from their competitors, yet the price is a whole different class here.

EDIT: I made a quick check at a prices comparison site (for Finnish stores/netstores.)

The cheapest price for any iPhone was 651€ for an iPhone 3G, and that's a museum piece by now.

Any other phone from any other brand (listed on the site, propably not comprehensive, but it has all the major ones and many I've never heard of) you can get for under 600€.

EDIT2: I know this is not interesting for anyone outside Finland, but I just wanted to defend myself for having the opinion that the iPhones as a brand are ridiculously overpriced. YMMV

Last edited by Itse; 10-21-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #31
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
No different from their competitors, yet the price is a whole different class here.
Galaxy S in Finland is 699 https://kauppa.sonera.fi/yksityisill...neTab=Esittely
iPhone 4 in Finland is 799 https://kauppa.sonera.fi/yksityisill...neTab=Esittely

Where are you buying your phones from?

Edit: Incidentally, those are ridiculous prices for any phone. Wow.

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-21-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #32
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.vertaa.fi/matkapuhelin/sa..._galaxy_s_8gb/
http://www.vertaa.fi/matkapuhelin/apple/

Sonera has a "recommended price" (suositushinta), you can't actually buy it for that price. (They for example don't sell it without a contract. It's cheaper with a contract though, but that also goes for all phones.)

Vertaa.fi compares many stores and actual prices. It's not perfect, but gives a pretty good ballpark of typical pricing. Most of the time you can find a better deal somewhere, but it goes for all products.

EDIT: They propably put in that price for the Galaxy S to make their deal of 20€ for 24 months with contract sound halfway decent.)
EDIT2: Looking at the contract prices for an iPhone, it seems the operators get their iPhones at prices that are much closer to the competing brands, which is not terribly surpising.
(EDIT3: Looking around more I could find something phones that started at the 600+ euro range. But nothing else in the 800+ euro range, so I guess that's just 33% difference...)

But I haven't really been looking at any of those numbers, I've just been walking around many stores in Helsinki recently, as I've been in the process of looking for a new phone.

In any case, I think this is about as interesting as this gets for my part.

But I'll add the one opinion that somewhat matters (if any )
- the iPhone didn't in any way blow the competitors out of the water for me. Yes, one of the best, but not in a standout way, and the Galaxy very much held it's own. Both are worth trying and buying, rest is up to preferences.

Last edited by Itse; 10-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #33
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

thanks for the input Itse. im glad i dont have to pay your prices for phones up there! yikes
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #34
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
thanks for the input Itse. im glad i dont have to pay your prices for phones up there! yikes
We make up for it with our crappier phone/data plans.

On topic, I really want to like the Galaxy S but it's still not quite there yet, so for the time being, i think the iPhone is probably your best choice. I think the biggest problem with android right now is all the manufacturers want to put their own skin to the OS, so it may take a while for upgrades to be available.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #35
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

had a similar dilemma, and ended up with the iphone 4,

Biggest reason was the stability and strength of the support for the os and applications, in 2-3 years when it's time to pick a new phone if another brand begins to really compete with apple I will definitely reevaluate my choices.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #36
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are HTCs not available much in Canada or something. Nobody at all seems to even be considering the Desire in this discussion, though most reviews I've read rate it as better than either the iPhone 4 or the Galaxy, and the Desire HD is an improvement on the Desire.

Is it simply that it's not available much in Canada or is there some other reason?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #37
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey

I have the galaxy and I'm happy with it. Maybe it's different from person to person, but I definitely enjoy the screen on my galaxy. It's pretty comparable to the iphone 4.
Also, the Galaxy will be coming out with Android 2.2 in November if it helps

Pros:
- The screen. I think it's the largest screen of any smartphone right now. Very bright and looks great with a live wallpaper
- Android platform (debatable to some)
- Battery life is pretty good
- Don't have to sync to itunes (I'm not a fan of itunes)
- Very light phone

Cons
- No flash on a camera. A pretty big oversight
- GPS is buggy. The new update in Nov is suppose to fix it though
- Not a fan of the Samsung aps that it comes pre-loaded with
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #38
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll throw a +1 for the Torch. My pops got one and I was playing around with it. I really like the new os and the onscreen keyboard is very easy to type on and the slide physical keyboard is awesome for longer responses. I have a touch and I was going to get an iPhone 4 but now I am a bit conflicted. I'm still leaning towards the iPhone as I need a lot of the apps but the Torch left a great, lasting impression from about 30 minutes of browsing, emailing, taking pictures, etc.

Before you buy any of them, physically feel them and see if you like it.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #39
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Yeah, but how many stores have the actual phones on demo? I've never found that dummy phones can really tell me what I want to know about the phone, and I usually have to pore over second-hand accounts like in this thread to make a decision.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #40
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I owned and returned a Galaxy S Vibrant. IMO it is a half baked piece of garbage. Couldn't even sync music with the phone, it kept going into a reboot loop.

I went and bought an unlocked iPhone 4. It was double the price, but worth every penny. It just works, and I have yet in a month to be disappointed by it.

BTW, the screen on the iPhone4 blows the doors of the Galaxy S. Samsung used some deceptive advertising calling it an OLED screen. From what I have read, OLED is a grey area, whereas there is a great variance in quality from one OLED to another.

Anyways, the Galaxy S looks great on movies, but web surfing, not so much. As soon as you zoom in, you get pixilated quick.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I would comment on Blackberry, but their tech is like 4 years old. Wow a poor Webkit browser, what is this 2007?
That is a really odd experience. I have a SGS and it far and away, the best phone I have ever used.

A co-worker has an iphone4 and we have used them side by side. The SGS blows its doors off in speed (even with flash enabled) and they are at the very least comparable when it comes to the screen although I am a little biased and think the SGS looks way cleaner and sharper.

You clearly got a defective unit. Pretty tough to judge your 2 cents when that occurs.

Edit: I forgot to add, Froyo (2.2) will be supported by the SGS. However I will admit, I am a little disappointed that it hasn'y arrived yet considering the Nexus1 had it in July/August. Gingerbread (3.0) comes out in November. It is unknown what phones will be supported. I would suspect, considering the hardware of the SGS ane the fact it has sold so many unit around the world, it will get that update.

Last edited by Bent Wookie; 10-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.