Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #21
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

One game at a time boys lets go
Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #22
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haven't posted in a while but I want to share some optimism. I don't think the Flames dominated last night by any stretch but they certainly deserved better IMO, as I think for the most part they had good push-back throughout the game. How does that saying go - you know a team will snap out of a losing streak when they start to play better and still lose games. Now, we can't afford to lose any more this series, but I think game 5 in the Dome will fire the boys up and hopefully they put some pressure back on the Avs to send it back to Denver.

Anything can happen, this team is fully capable of pulling out 3 straight Ws!
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bibtin Tex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #24
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Valimaki was absolutely a beast last night. Him and Andersson have been our two best defencemen by a lot (albeit with easier minutes compared to Gio).

Really excited about the future of the D.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #25
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah it looks bleak. And yeah the team isn't playing well.

But we're coming home on the brink. I'm not giving up on this team. It's not over by any stretch.

They can come back. LETS RALLY BOYS.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win game 5 and anything is possible.

Give Colorado that doubt that the team is waking up and steal game 6.

I like our chances having 2 home games over being on the road for 2.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado just won 3 in a row.. Flames can totally win 3 in a row too. They'll be coming out angry! GFG
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #28
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames are capable of winning 3 games in a row.. Colorado just did it …… now it's our turn .. GFG !!!!!! I second calumniate !!!

Last edited by stamps; 04-18-2019 at 09:27 AM.
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #29
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 4 more years of Neal.

Nah, screw that. Hopefully BT can make another hard decision and come to grips with what Neal really is right now, forget about what Neal used to be, and buy the poor sap out.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Words are meaningless but I feel it in my bones that CGY can get to the top of their game and exert their will and win.

I don't want to say/write anymore and I don't want to hear them talk about it. Show it tactically, emotionally and physically
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been so amped about these playoffs since about February. I'm not letting go of it until it's gone.

They CAN do it because it's not impossible. They CAN do it because they had the second most wins of any regular season team. They CAN do it because they have the tools, depth, and coaching. And they CAN do it because their supposed weakest link has been playing like a Conn Smythe contender.

Go. Flames. Go.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
I’m in. It can be done.

Trap the #### out of that neutral zone. Clog it like Godzilla would after a TexMex all you can eat marathon. Slow them down, they got so much speed coming in that they are almost first on the forecheck. Adapt Peters, adapt.

I said this two games ago- do what CBJ did to Tampa. Trap.

If you can't match the speed then clog up the neutral zone. It's adapt or die at this point for Peters.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #33
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in a state right now where I refuse to believe this is the end for this team. It has been a shocking series but a series where a bounce in OT goes our way we could be up 3-1.

What gives me hope is the fact 2/3 of these games would be in the Dome. I hope the Flames come out flying on Friday and are able to get a convincing win and take that momentum into game 6 and that hopefully sets up a game 7 where we have home ice and would have instilled faith in the Flames room and doubt in the Avs room.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #34
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its not unheard of to come back from 3-1 down, its just statistically unlikely. But win tomorrow and those chances increase dramatically.

All they can do is play like their season is on the line, and I'm sure they will.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #35
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Game 5 is as close to a sure win as we are going to get. Last change, preferred match ups, big crowd, and a team slooooooooooowly waking up.....it's all tilted in our favour. I think we pull one out.

Game 6 is going to be the real test. We can't contain their top line without last change and they are COMPLETELY shutting down our top line, so unless #29 forgets how to hockey I think we're screwed. Barring a miraculous turnaround I'm not confident we pull one out.

If it goes to 7 games I like our chances. I doubt it goes past 6 though.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Trap the #### out of that neutral zone. Clog it like Godzilla would after a TexMex all you can eat marathon. Slow them down, they got so much speed coming in that they are almost first on the forecheck. Adapt Peters, adapt.
The trap is not the correct fix for what ails the Flames right now.

I feel like I am, at this point, a missionary preaching the evangel of zone exit defense, but here we go again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's not the Avs zone entries that is causing the problem. It's not even their neutral zone play. It's the ease with which they're permitted zone exits.

You leave your end with speed, you get through the neutral zone with speed, and you attack the blue line with speed, and the defenders have to back off and leave a bigger gap. The sense that there has been an unending assault against the Flames zone is the result. The Avs never have the sense that they need to struggle to move the puck out of their end - they have time and they have options.

This all starts with the forecheck. When the Flames are playing two guys up ice, aggressively taking time away from the breakout, the whole game changes for them. This happens almost never. They're using one forechecker and they're keeping him high in the zone with an active stick rather than pressuring the Avs' D. This is a coaching problem and it's not at all clear to me why it has not been addresssed.
I really want someone to go through game 4 and put together a compilation of Flames zone exits and Avalanche zone exits, and just compare them. Getting the puck out of the Flames' zone is trench warfare. Getting the puck out of the Avs zone is, by comparison, a leisurely walk in the park.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #37
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Game 5 is as close to a sure win as we are going to get. Last change, preferred match ups, big crowd, and a team slooooooooooowly waking up.....it's all tilted in our favour. I think we pull one out.

Game 6 is going to be the real test. We can't contain their top line without last change and they are COMPLETELY shutting down our top line, so unless #29 forgets how to hockey I think we're screwed. Barring a miraculous turnaround I'm not confident we pull one out.

Wrong thread
Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #38
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

This doesn't sound like relentless positivity to me
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though we've been outplayed all series, at the end of the day this team could easily be up 3-1 in the series if they could have just held those late leads. Finally back with the matchups the Flames want on Friday, I still think they will win. Then it's back to Denver for game 6 where they just need to hold on and squeeze out on ugly W like they ALMOST had last night, then in the Dome for game 7 where anything can happen. Very tough climb but it can be done.

Other note of positivity: down 3-1 will prob mean much cheaper tickets for the game tomorrow..I'm not even trying to be a smart### about that, I mean I am legit going to try to go due to that factor..and I'm 100% bringing the noise if I do. They need the positive energy.

In 2015 when the Flames were down 2-0 after getting spanked by Anaheim, tickets for game 3 back here were cheaper because everyone was demoralized and figured it's done..so I went and it ended up being the most amazing playoff game I've ever attended. It can happen again.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #40
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Only 4 more years of Neal.

Nah, screw that. Hopefully BT can make another hard decision and come to grips with what Neal really is right now, forget about what Neal used to be, and buy the poor sap out.
$1.9mil cap hit until 2027/2028 if that happens.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote