Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buying, a question about "class-warfare"

I apologize if this is alot of reading... So I am getting married this summer and we have decided to purchase a home before then so we both just sold our condos.

In our price range (500K high end) in our desired radius to downtown of about 10km that gives us a map of 85 Street in the West, Glenmore to the South, Shaganappi to the NW, and 64th Ave in the NE (we are staying on the West side of Deerfoot).

In those areas in that price range that gives us the following home options.

1 - 1950-60s era unfinished likely with issues in the 350-400 range
2 - 1950-60s era finished in the 490+ range
3 - 1970s-early 80s era home with attached garage, in that style in the 490-500s
4 - Duplexes of varying price depending on finishing and location.

I have come to grips with purchasing a duplex. I know its not the greatest thing in the world to share a wall, but its only the one wall and sometimes just have to wish you arent going to own next to some sort of d!ckbag. Together We are qualified for a 780K mortgage but there is no way in he77 I am going to be stretched that thin. I would rather have more money for our future children then to "waste" it on a house especially in these economic times.

We have seen 1 duplex I quite like, 2001 (so before boom), its in an excellent area (I think anyways), its currently listed at 475 (likely get it for 450 I am guessing) which is obviously expensive but its finished with everything we would want. I like the fact its a smaller home - who needs a bigger one?

My Finance doesnt like that is a duplex and that more so its in an area where we would likely be close to lowest income earners in the area. I personally see that as a positive vis a vi less crime, hopefully better neighbours, etc. She is worried our kids would develop some sort of envy (class warfare) towards their inevitable friends - I think that is easily dealt with by parenting.

Has anyone else come across this or ever thought of income level as a reason not purchase in a certain area? I am having a hard time trying to reason with her as to why I dont think we should dismiss an area just because we would likely have one of the lowest priced homes in the neighbourhood. I understand her concerns but I am having difficulty coming up with other reasons no
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

IMO that is how the entire SW quadrant is (north of glenmore)
I wouldnt be concerned about it. I went to a high school (St Marys) that saw kids from millionaire families driving 50k vehicles to kids that were literally homeless.
Being exposed to this sort of thing in high school really gave me a perspective of society/people I may not have had prior to high school. If you stick to a all wealthy area the kid will be clueless as to what the real world is. It still amazes me at how oblivious some kids are to the rest of this city let alone the world.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wouldn't worry about it. IMO, living in a duplex doesn't have the same stigma attached to it as it may have once had. I mean think about all those stunning infill duplexes that are all over the place. Those are beautiful homes that have every feature and benefit you'd want. They just share one wall.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know where to find the Calgary building code changes for duplexes? I have a friend in the Edmonton building market and he said the shared wall requirements have gotten alot better just in the last 20 years.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Almost everything in construction is no better compared to 20 years ago. In terms of sound barriers, it is WAY better now. To the point you should never hear your neighbor.

Your realtor should be able to get some information on the construction/separation.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll chime in and say don't worry about it either.

I think we are probably the poorest people on our street in Sunnyside, seems like every family on the street has a nanny for their kids (we don't), and they can drink like 30 lattes a day compared to my 15.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I share a wall in an "attached". If I could go baqck in time, I would not have bought one and will definitely not buy another.
How come?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Never be the best house in the neighbourhood. That said I personally would avoid duplexes, but that's just my opinion. (They strike me as being usually too narrow, and the whole possible noise issue)
Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Never be the best house in the neighbourhood.
Why is that?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^^ makes it very difficult to re sell. If the average price on your street is 500k and you are worth 700k due to extreme renovations then chances are a buyer with 700k won't be looking in your area but somewhere with 700k being the average.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You can totally hear the neighbors. When they slam the back door it shakes the whole house. I just don't feel like we have the privacy I want. At the mercy of the other side more than regular neighbors. Have been lucky as both of the owners have been good, but just would rather not share a wall.
I agree with this. I loved my attached house and our neighbors became our best friends but now that I live in a detached not hearing doors slam and garages open is quite nice.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can totally hear the neighbors. When they slam the back door it shakes the whole house. I just don't feel like we have the privacy I want. At the mercy of the other side more than regular neighbors. Have been lucky as both of the owners have been good, but just would rather not share a wall.
I hear my neighbours if they stomp up the stairs, but thats about it.

Almost a non-factor. They are a young couple, and the guy is a DJ that fits the typical stereotype, always out working on his ride and occasionally smoking some pot in the back yard. It really has so little bearing that I am quite happy I bought a duplex.

There is just as much issues with the other neighbours, still get the pot smoke and parties.

My house is about 6 1/2 years old now though, so maybe the newer construction helps with the typical issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just put up my detached infill up for sale. May I use your posts as to the benefits of not having to share a wall and roof with your neighbour? LOL Maybe I can post them for my open house.

Granted, on a standard lot, you lose the width of the house. My place is pretty similar sq. ft. to other infills but it is narrow. [/Insert penis joke]

Last edited by red sky; 04-19-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling we're going to look back at this wave of infill duplex's and wonder WTF we were doing. They're just a money grab and buyers overlook the noise/privacy drawback just because they think they're getting more for their money. Couldn't pay me enough to live in an attached home.

Tags
buying , class warfare , duplex , real estate