Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #41
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I don't understand this problem, and I mean that sincerely I don't get why people see this as a problem.

We play those teams anyway. Of we play those games on one week, then we don't play them any other weeks. How is it worse if they're back to back?

It likely adds some extra emotion to the latter game, because the players will care more about not losing to the same team twice in a row.

I think it would also add some novelty value, if every team only comes to visit once a year, the only difference being how many games they stay.

Just imagine how heated games against Edmonton would become, if instead of four individual games you'd just have two two-game matchups, once in Edmonton and once in Calgary. Those trips would really become the highlight of the regular season without the actual number of games dropping. I'm pretty sure players and fans would be a lot more aware of the situation in the season series than they are now.

At least the way I see it, it would be slot more memorable to win two games in a row, than win one game now and one game two months from now.

At least to me that would be simply better.
if you are a season ticket holder going to watch the same teams play multiple games in the span of a few days sucks, especially if its watching ottawa 2 or three times in the dead of winter

not sure why having back to back games are any more 'intense' because there's nothing on the line unlike the playoffs where its win and advance? at the end of the day, there is still a 'season series' whether those games are bunched or not.

they do it in baseball because teams in their own division play each other 19 times in a year... it makes no sense with that schedule to do a one and done travel trip.... as well as squeezing in rest days between travel... suddenly the MLB season would stretch out to 8 months from its current 6 month schedule
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #42
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
The NHL tried this after the 04-05 lockout, at least two games in a row. I don't recall an explanation for why they stopped the practice.
I think there were a couple of big reasons:

(a) Playing 2-3 games in a row (and 8 times a season) against teams like Minnesota and Colorado were making those games tough to sell at a retail level

(b) Fans didn't like that players like Crosby and Ovechkin would only come to town once every three years (you'd play teams in the other conference once a year or not at all: 1 game rotating home/away against one division, 1 game against another division and then 0 games against the third division). They particularly didn't like that teams like Toronto/Montreal would only come once every three years
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of like the idea of having the 2 game travel sets.

Less travel means fresher players, more practice time, which leads to a better product on the ice.

Some of the most boring Flames games this season have been the 3rd game in 4 nights with travel in between, when the team just looks exhausted.

If this idea would help reduce those scenarios and lessens the travel for the team then great.

I don't really see a difference in watching two games at home against Edmonton back to back, vs watching them once in November and once in February.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #44
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
His main argument, besides cutting travel costs, is to leave less of a carbon footprint...
NHL: We want to cut travel costs.
Rob Mckenzie: I need a better reason than that to promote the idea.
NHL: We don't care. Think of something catchy...
Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
NHL: We want to cut travel costs.
Rob Mckenzie: I need a better reason than that to promote the idea.
NHL: We don't care. Think of something catchy...
Um, yeah. I highly doubt the NHL reaches out to a stand up comedian out of Abu Dhabi to promote any agenda they may have
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #46
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does the globe and mail still print their "articles" on paper for circulation? Maybe they should start reducing the carbon footprint at home before collectively finger wagging.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #47
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
if you are a season ticket holder going to watch the same teams play multiple games in the span of a few days sucks, especially if its watching ottawa 2 or three times in the dead of winter
Well, if it does make a difference to a significant amount of people, then who am I to argue.

After all, it's not like live games are even an option for me :P

Quote:
not sure why having back to back games are any more 'intense' because there's nothing on the line unlike the playoffs where its win and advance?
My intuition says that players hate losing, and would cherish an opportunity to "get it back" against the same opponent if it was fresh in their minds, and any animosity built would be fresh in everyones minds.

Obviously that's basically just how I would feel in that situation.

Quote:
at the end of the day, there is still a 'season series' whether those games are bunched or not.
Yeah, but right now season series' are kind of hard to keep track of.

Honestly, I basically have to check the situation in every series before posting about them. With the way the schedule is now, they all just become such a blur. And if you don't really remember the situation, they just matter less.

Which again is my biggest gripe, that the season schedule is basically just random. (That and too many games in the regular season, but that's unlikely to go down in a gate driven league unless they add playoff games.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #48
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I am pretty sure the players don’t forget the previous games against a team, or have trouble keeping track of the season series.

They have coaches, video sessions, game prep all focused on that opponent. They should have no trouble getting up for the opponent

I did a bit of a commentary on the games in an earlier post, to outline that relatively few of the total games would be impacted, and I think there is relatively minimal opportunity to make a substantial improvement by pursuing this idea
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #49
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Well, if it does make a difference to a significant amount of people, then who am I to argue.

After all, it's not like live games are even an option for me :P

My intuition says that players hate losing, and would cherish an opportunity to "get it back" against the same opponent if it was fresh in their minds, and any animosity built would be fresh in everyones minds.

Obviously that's basically just how I would feel in that situation.

Yeah, but right now season series' are kind of hard to keep track of.

Honestly, I basically have to check the situation in every series before posting about them. With the way the schedule is now, they all just become such a blur. And if you don't really remember the situation, they just matter less.

Which again is my biggest gripe, that the season schedule is basically just random. (That and too many games in the regular season, but that's unlikely to go down in a gate driven league unless they add playoff games.)
well i think its just my subjective opinion; there are others like you that think its a good idea.

i believe that the travel schedule should be streamlined for sure...

i think the biggest difference to the current 'home and home' schedule is that one fanbase is watching the same game twice on consecutive days or twice in three days... While that might work ok for some of the teams (like SJ), the idea of going to watch the same team, two nights in a row or twice in three nights doesn't have a lot of appeal for me at least...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #50
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Numerous back to back games against the same team in an 82 game schedule, thereby throwing the schedule into an imbalance?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #51
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd group teams into 4 team geographical groups within each division. For Western teams, this means there are 6 groups who are fairly far away (the last group being the rest of your own division). The regular season spans 6 months (and a bit of April).

Each month, every team in one group would travel to another group and play all four of those teams (still in their own planes). For instance, all four of SEA, VAN, CGY, EDM would play all three NY teams + PHI in the same 7-10 day span. Later in the month, the four north pacific teams would all be at home over 7-10 days, and host a different group (say MTL, TOR, OTT, BOS). That leaves the rest of the month for divisional games.

Over the 6 months, each team will have six 4-game road trips out of division (compared to 6 trips to the east coast + 3 to central division for the Flames this year).

Aside from achieving more efficient travel, there are other benefits: amount of travel will be almost identical for all teams in each division, as well as 'strength-of-schedule' - you and your closest rivals will all play the same team at the same times, limiting the impact of injuries/hot/cold streaks (ie. I'd rather play in Pittsburgh in October this season compared to March), or one team in the playoff hunt having a long cross-country road trip near the end of the season unlike their rivals. I think it would also be good from a fan interest standpoint...if I know Calgary is hosting the New York teams next week, maybe I'll tune into the Rangers-Devils game tonight and/orpay more attention to their highlights/news.

Obviously, it would be hard to do it 100%, but even with a few alterations here and there (some trips become 5 or 3 games, etc.) it would be a much better, and more predictable structure.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #52
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only partially related to the thread topic, but I've never seen it as much of an advantage to opening a best of 7 series with two home games. There are four possibilities:

WW
WL
LW
LL

Three out of those four involve 'losing' home ice advantage when the first two games are at home.

I'd prefer 2-3-1-1 (instead of 2-2-1-1-1). In anything other than a sweep, it would also reduce trips by one for each team. Starting on the road seems a lot better to me - if you win the series in 4 or 5, your rest starts immediately (no need to travel home).

FWIW, this is not in reaction to the current Flames series - I've thought this for years.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #53
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not at all comparable. In baseball, they play 162 regular season games, most series have all games on subsequent days (or even 2 games on the same day), and the physical exertion is much less sustained. They players who have the most required of them, the pitchers, only start every 5th game, and starters rarely finish a game. Ball parks are often closer to empty than full, as the league relies less on gate revenue. There's simply no way to do something equivalent with hockey.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon footprint , e=ng , stupid oilers , travel