Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help with Hero update

Ok, this is frustrating. I posted yesterday in the Android thread about the Hero finally getting the upgrade to 2.1. So I initially tried the update at work. I let the update download to my phone over the data connection and tried running the update. The phone restarts and a status bar comes up. Part way through it throws up a big yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it and stops. Figured something went wrong with the d/l so figured I would try again at home. So later that night I backed up all my stuff and did a factory re-set (which seems to do nothing but wipe user data) and tried to d/l again over WIFI. So during the setup Wizard it asks me if I want to activate WIFI now, perfect, sure do. So after the wipe, the phone comes back up with WIFI running. Sat there for an hour and waited for the screen to pop up notifying me of an update to d/l. So I though maybe the data connection needs to be on for it to do that. Sure enough, the second I switch over to the data connection it pops up again so I d/l it yet again OTA. I watched the status bar the whole time this time and it sure looks like the whole thing came in but when I tried to run it, same result as when I tried at work. Failed part way through. It seems as though it's having a problem verifying the file I downloaded.

About a month ago I tried to update to 2.1 myself but was having problems part way through that I couldn't get past but believe I was successful in "rooting" the phone as that was one of the first steps.

Is it possible me rooting my phone is causing this issue? Like I said, reading the error message on the phone seems to make me think there was more of an issue with the d/l than an install but I don't know.

Can anyone shed any light on this, I REALLY want to get this thing up to 2.1.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Did you try just plugging it into iTunes and clicking on Update?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Did you try just plugging it into iTunes and clicking on Update?

Even if I did have an iPhone, I'm sure mine would be the one with some kind of problem. I have terrible luck with this kinda thing.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so i gather me rooting my phone is what is causing the problem. Now I just have to figure out how to unroot it.......
Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ok so i gather me rooting my phone is what is causing the problem. Now I just have to figure out how to unroot it.......
Makes sense to me. Trying to update software that used to be on your phone is like trying to feed your dog that died last week.

Sure you can try, but in the end all that will happen is your 1 year old will try and eat it when you are not looking.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Makes sense to me. Trying to update software that used to be on your phone is like trying to feed your dog that died last week.

Sure you can try, but in the end all that will happen is your 1 year old will try and eat it when you are not looking.
This made me lawl
Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You'll just have to do what alot of jailbroken-ipod/phone users do, flash back to original unrooted firmware, update, and root.

And lol to the 'plug in and update' comment; both iplatform and android are capable of one button OTA updates. Both have their issues when dealing with rooted/jailbroken devices.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

But that's the problem I'm having. I didn't install any new frimware. As far as I can tell, I used Universal Androot to root the phone. I used the same program to unroot the phone and it still isn't installing. Finding the original ROM is also a bit difficult. Lots of hacked/custom ROM's out there but can't find the original 1.5 one.