Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #361
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
You will need a cable box to hook cable up to that monitor. Then everything will depend upon if the cable box will blow up the picture to fit the monitor. The PS3 should work fine.
Yeah, you'll need a cable box or something to change your co-axial connection to composite [maybe a VCR] but I don't know how good the picture would be without a HD source.
Here's a link to some discussion, customer reviews and professional reviews about this monitor.
Change the link

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Samsung

Last edited by Vulcan; 12-08-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #362
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
To Old Yeller, the TV that I am looking at is the Panasonic TH42PX75. Is it much of a difference from the Panasonic TH42PX77? From what I have read it seems the 75 might have better color, but the 77 has an antiglare coating?
The 75 and the 77 are essentially the same TV. They'll have the exact same PQ, but I have heard that the antiglare coating is actually functional for once and isn't just a gimmick. So if you are going to be in a well lit room, it'll probably be worth the extra $100. The 77 also has one extra set of front inputs which could be quite handy if you're wall mounting it.

Also, there isn't a station around that broadcasts in 1080p. It's impossible to offer to a wide customer base because of bandwidth issues. Don't let anyone online or a sales person in a store tell you differently.

Like I said, maybe in 3 or 4 years, but not anytime soon.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #363
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:
Default Help for my Boss

Okay he's got a JVC IART Pro AV-36P902 TV

http://www.avguide.com/products/product-2064/

It's hooked up to a receiver.

When you change the input on the receiver it's blank. There is sound, but no picture. So playing DVD works, playing Digital cable doesn't, and playing N64 does the same thing.

Now in order to see if it was the receiver, another TV was hooked up and it worked fine.

So, when you change the input on the receiver the TV doesn't seem to get that it's not changing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #364
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post

When you change the input on the receiver it's blank. There is sound, but no picture. So playing DVD works, playing Digital cable doesn't, and playing N64 does the same thing.

Now in order to see if it was the receiver, another TV was hooked up and it worked fine.

So, when you change the input on the receiver the TV doesn't seem to get that it's not changing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Is this hooked up via HDMI?

I know some makers have had issues with an HDMI "handshake" in the past. When the TV is turned on, it checks its connection and needs to syncronize with its source. Perhaps when you change the source, it isn't getting a successful handshake.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #365
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

HDMI! Do I need to worry about this if I get that monitor? All I know about HDMI is it's a new type of connection that is suppose to be better at transmitting HD content. I have no idea what the difference is between S-Video and HDMI. There is also something called Composite, which I am assuming is the Red/Yellow/White plugs? (Red for video, Yellow/White for left and right sound.)

When you use that S-Video instead of HDMI, do you lose any quality? And can you do full 1080p without actually using an HDMI cable?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #366
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
HDMI! Do I need to worry about this if I get that monitor? All I know about HDMI is it's a new type of connection that is suppose to be better at transmitting HD content. I have no idea what the difference is between S-Video and HDMI. There is also something called Composite, which I am assuming is the Red/Yellow/White plugs? (Red for video, Yellow/White for left and right sound.)

When you use that S-Video instead of HDMI, do you lose any quality? And can you do full 1080p without actually using an HDMI cable?
Go back to around post 250...
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #367
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
was over at my buddies place last night actually and he was having a similar problem but could get picture on the TV but no sound. I don't know if it's similar but we had to change some of the settings on the TV to "activate" the outputs.

Of course I told all of this over the phone and to read his TV instruction manual, he says he does but doesn't figure it out until i'm over there reading the freakin manual with him.

On another note. Anybody have trouble with their Shaw HD PVR boxes?

my PVR stopped working and then I couldn't bring the guide up so 2 days ago I called Shaw and went through a bunch of stuff and it still didn't work so they scheduled a Tech call. Last night the entire box wasn't working (couldn't get any channels) I called Shaw and he reset the box and boom the channels work, still no guide or PVR working. Watching TV for about half an hour and all of a sudden the TV flickers and next thing I know the guide works and the PVR works...what the hell!!?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #368
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

Here is the order connections by quality.
Best first:

1. HDMI - gives a video and audio HD digital connection and as far as I know is always HDCP compliant.

2. DVI - gives a video HD digital connection and is often HDCP compliant. It is the same quality video as HDMI.
This combined with a Toslink cable to your stereo will give you high quality digital audio.

3. D-sub (VGA) - this is the normal or old connection on many computer monitors and video cards and is on many new TVs as well. It sends a HD video signal but is not HDCP compliant and is analogue.

4. Component - this also can send a HD video signal but is not HDCP and is analogue. On my TV, this looks as good as HDMI but your milage may vary.

5. S-video - this is the best non HD connection and can only send a 480i picture as compared to HD which is 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. It is video only.

6. Composite - this is the red and white (sound) and yellow (video) connection and is also 480i.

7. Co-axial - this is the normal cable feed coming into your house. RG59 is the cheapest grade. RG60 is required for satellite connections and should be recommended for all your household needs. Also when buying this cable, look for compression connections. It is video and audio.

I may have missed something but off the top of my head, that's it.

Last edited by Vulcan; 12-11-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #369
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

hey gang
I am still relatively new to this whole HD TV thing, but without checking back on all the posts, I have a question.
last night I was watching a show on TV in HD and the picture was like a fraction of the size of the TV. If I had to guess it was about 33% smaller than the actually size of the TV.
is that normal for a TV show in HD?
or is there something different I need to do as far as the TV set up is concerned.
I noticed it before but kinda shrugged it off, but if I am watching a game thats going to get really annoying.
I bought a 46" Sharp Aquos in HD to watch the whole tv for a game, not just 67% of it.
thoughts?
suggestions?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #370
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sample00, dont worry about it, different shows and providers still seem to have quite a variance in sizing and quality. Lots of shows are all over the place....it has (more than likely) nothing to do with your tv.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #371
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

thanks Table! stil drives me nuts!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #372
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have a Panny PX77U over the PX75 model?

I was at futureshop on Saturday trying to decide between the two.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #373
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Does anyone have a Panny PX77U over the PX75 model?

I was at futureshop on Saturday trying to decide between the two.
I couldn't decide, so I bought the PZ700
Old 12-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #374
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much did you get it for? What size?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #375
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up the 50" for 29 something a month or so ago. List price then was close to $3500, so I think i got a fair deal. I'm sure you'd get it even cheaper now.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #376
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
How much did you get it for? What size?
I recently bought the Panasonic TH-42PZ77U. It's a 42" 1080p, great TV. I'd recommend it. Picked it up for $1600 incl. a 3 year warranty off of ebay.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #377
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

An HD program on an hdtv should take up the whole screen. If it doesn't, then either your tv settings are f'd or it's not actually HD programming or something else. The only exception is some movies which are in 1.9 or 2.0 to 1 etc.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

Closed Thread