Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 1 0.28%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 1 0.28%
Dillon Dube 195 54.47%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 0 0%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 1 0.28%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 0 0%
Illya Nikolaev 0 0%
Jakob Pelletier 23 6.42%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 1 0.28%
Matias Emilio Pettersen 8 2.23%
Matthew Phillips 1 0.28%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Oliver Kylington 126 35.20%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 1 0.28%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #41
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kylington has a higher upside, better NHL showing, and is only one year older than Dube.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #42
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty excited about Dube's potential after he tore up the AHL. His stature and style has often been compared to Brayden Point. Not saying that's where he'll end up, but as a comparison, Point had 2 goals in his first 25 NHL games. He finished that year with 18 goals.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #43
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am surprised that Pelletier is not in the conversation for #2. He is billed as a complete player who back checks and hard as he fore checks. He has killer instinct, and offensive flair. By all reports he has got "it".

For me this is not a next player to play NHL games list. If it were Lomberg would go in the top 6. Its a who will be the most impact player looking back after their time with the Flames is done.
And I am surprised Zavgorodniy isn't getting more love. I still have Kylington and Dube in my top 3 but at #4 it would be the Russian. Early on, he was ripping up the QMJHL with an explosive skillset and he was arguably the most impressive forward prospect in Flames training camp, even moreso than Dube to my eye.

He slowed down towards the end of the year and we'll see where he goes from here, but I see an NHL player there, and a pretty good one. Plus he shoots that elusive right, which IMO gives him and Phillips much more future opportunity to crack the lineup and crack the NHL powerplay. His slowing down could be attributed to his role on his team, where the ridiculously talented Lafreniere took a lot of opportunity away from him as the year went along.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-09-2019 at 10:27 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #44
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Put the swede over Dube. I see them both as NHL ready, but see the Swede as a potential top 4 D and Dube as a top 9 player and I think a top 4 D is better than a top 9 F.
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #45
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have to go with Dube here. Seemed to a be a bit snakebitten early in the NHL season last year. Skates hard. Good defensively. Works hard. Really solid draft choice for a late 2nd round pick.

Could very easily put Kylington ahead of him. Unfortunately he’s stuck behind Giordano, Hanafin and Valimaki on the LHD depth chart. I’m curious how the Flames work the depth chart to get him more NHL minutes this year. I don’t see much point to him being in the AHL/pressbox, yet that’s were he slots at the moment.
1991 Canadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #46
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Kylington starting to gain ground in the poll. Suck it, Dube-lovers.
This got a legit belly laugh
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a team that just placed 1st in the Western Conference, I still like how deep our prospect pool is.

Vali was a clear #1 for me, but with Dube/Kylington I ended up going Kylington. I think this kid is really good, and hasn't gotten the credit he deserved both from the fanbase and within the organization. I still think it was absolutely insane that Fantenberg played ahead of Kylington down the stretch.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #48
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
For a team that just placed 1st in the Western Conference, I still like how deep our prospect pool is.

Vali was a clear #1 for me, but with Dube/Kylington I ended up going Kylington. I think this kid is really good, and hasn't gotten the credit he deserved both from the fanbase and within the organization. I still think it was absolutely insane that Fantenberg played ahead of Kylington down the stretch.
The top four a projecting to be NHLers. After that is a steep drop. In essence Dube, Kylington and even Valimaki a products of the pre "compete window " era drafts. After that things get a lot less optimistic.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #49
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Dube, but Kylington is #2 for me. He's a bit buried on the left side of the D after Gio, Hanifin and Valimaki, but he's a legit young blueliner who has all the tools to make it as a top 4 D in the NHL. Of course there's growing pains, but there's also been steady growth and progress over the last couple of years.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #50
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kylington for me. He's a year further into his development playing a position that takes longer to develop. He had some defensive gaffs (cough ups), but that is pretty standard making the jump from the AHL to NHL. More exposure to NHL level opponents, and you will see those gaffs start to evaporate.

Otherwise, I think they are both really good prospects that will both play regular NHL minutes by the end of the year.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year, I probably would have said Dube. I wasn't buying in to Kylington that much last year, but after seeing him last season, it looks like his skills are translating to the NHL pretty well. Nothing against Dube, but I am voting based on upside. I see Dube's upside as a 2nd liner and Kylington's as a top pairing guy. Although I think both are going to make it.

Kylington's speed is just too intriguing to ignore. He also looked more physically strong and chippy that I thought he would be.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #52
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am a bit surprised by the amount of love that Kylington is getting, don't get me wrong I like the player, but I don't see the same upside that some seeing, going as far to say that he has top pairing upside, I just don't see it. He did fairly well this past year, but he was really sheltered. For me he is an elite skater, and has good puck skills, but is ability to think the game and make good reads is lacking, he is improving, but he still has a long way to go to. I see a lot of skating with the puck and then not knowing what to do with it resulting in a turnover. I see his upside as a bottom pairing guy, who you can use on the PP, but his all around game isn't there to allow him to be used in a top 4 role.

Last edited by JTech780; 07-09-2019 at 11:27 AM.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #53
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am surprised that Pelletier is not in the conversation for #2. He is billed as a complete player who back checks and hard as he fore checks. He has killer instinct, and offensive flair. By all reports he has got "it".

For me this is not a next player to play NHL games list. If it were Lomberg would go in the top 6. Its a who will be the most impact player looking back after their time with the Flames is done.
True, but people are looking at a combination of upside and likelihood to make the NHL. Both Kylington and Dube have great upside and promise. Pelletier is a bit further away. This might be one of the few years when our first pick just barely makes it into the forum top 5. I’m not even sure yet if he will be in my top 5.
I am leaning towards voting Kylington, Dube, Parsons and Petterson/Pelletier in the next four rounds
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #54
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dube or Kylington, it’s a bit of a toss up for me. Kylington has perhaps a higher upside, but also a lower “floor” - can he realise it?

Dube is a high energy, high skill player that can slot in any position in any situation. He’s smart, shifty and not as small as many think (5’11 /190). He won’t run over people, but he’ll compete for pucks and can shoot as well as pass.

Kylington has that skating, oh man, that skating is smooooooth. IQ is there, work ethic which seemed a bit of a concern is gone but he still lacks on ice vision and a good NHL shot.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #55
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Dube. Easy vote... great numbers through the ranks and NHL ready.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
I am a bit surprised by the amount of live that Kylington is getting, don't get me wrong I like the player, but I don't see the same upside that some seeing, going as far to say that he has top pairing upside, I just don't see it. He did fairly well this past year, but he was really sheltered. For me he is an elite skater, and has good puck skills, but is ability to think the game and make good reads is lacking, he is improving, but he still has a long way to go to. I see a lot of skating with the puck and then not knowing what to do with it resulting in a turnover. I see his upside as a bottom pairing guy, who you can use on the PP, but his all around game isn't there to allow him to be used in a top 4 role.
Defensemen take a lot of time to develop. A 21 year old defenseman is just a baby.

Last year's Norris winner didn't even play top 4 until he was 26.

Those reads take a lot of time to develop.

Noah Hanifin makes terrible reads too, by the way, and relies on his physical tools arguably even more than Kylington does.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #57
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The best part of the annual prospect rankings is people using words like "clearly" and "obviously" to discern between successive players.

I picked Kylington but I suspect he has less chance to play this year than Dube. Not sure how Kylington's year plays out.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #58
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dune starting to run away with it now, which frankly is surprising to me as I thought the cp collective would've gone with kylington.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #59
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dube
Kylington
Pelletier

significant drop after this

Then we're looking at
Phillips
Petterssen
Zavgorodniy has got some serious skill
maybe some of the Russians
Martin Pospisil
Glenn Gawdin

Another significant drop
Still hoping Parsons can find his winning ways
Tuulola
This years draft picks
Last years draft picks
Last years overagers
The rest

Gillies
Rafikov - oh wait he's not here let put Mitchell Mattson in this spot instead

Last edited by Zoller; 07-09-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #60
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Dune starting to run away with it now, which frankly is surprising to me as I thought the cp collective would've gone with kylington.
CP collective has clearly been hijacked by a secret cabal of Dube-lovers. Very sad.