Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #41
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

the only things he’s done wrong so far is not trade bennett
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #42
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Well, from what I can see, there is palpable relief on this forum that there was no UFA signing yesterday or today. This is in stark contrast to the excitement of the past two July’s when Brouwer and Brouwer 2.0 were signed.

I stand by my statement that MANY on this forum don’t trust this GM to make UFA signings.

I trust BT to make trades, not UFA signings and I think MANY on this forum agree with that...not that it matters.
Most on the forum and in the fan base were unhappy about the Brouwer signing. Most were happy about the Neal signing but a select few (looking in the mirror) were not impressed.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #43
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
So far a 2 or 3 out of 10. The Flames have gotten a little bit worse IMO. Talbot is not a long term option. Lehner has now been available twice. The draft was fine, but I'm not a fan of the 1st round pick. I doubt that it's possible to get maximum value for Frolik and Brodie, that boat has probably sailed.

Still possible to get an 8/10 or so before the end of summer, depending on the contracts and trades.
But if Tkachuk or Bennett get offer sheeted, it could become a 1/10.

I'm not going to give Treliving credit for not handing out bad contracts on July 1. The only reason the Flames didn't sign anyone is because they already have cap troubles.

I'd also like to point out that I criticized Treliving's moves last year, and ended up being completely wrong about the Lindholm - Hanafin trades, plus the Bill Peters hire.
Based on what Montreal did to Carolina, the best thing that could happen is for Tkachuk to get an offer sheet. And 100% for bennett so that we can recoup some of his lost value, but that is definitely not going to happen.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #44
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
the only things he’s done wrong so far is not trade bennett
He certainly doesn't fit this team's identity.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #45
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

9/10 so far.

• No obviously crippling contracts
  • Not giving up Brodie for peanuts for the sake of making a trade
  • Not paying someone to take Frolik, who is still a useful player
The Flames were the best team in the west last season. They are also a fairly young team. I did not expect - nor do I want - some major moves. Yes, Treliving has to find some cap space, and that can be costly, but teams also need useful players. With the exception of Neal, this team does not have cap-heavy contracts that are underperforming. Everyone else is at least meeting their cap hits relative to performance, at least in my opinion.

Hopefully the Flames can find a way to move out a contract or two to make room for a couple of re-signings, possibly a player-for-player trade to add a bit of toughness and/or speed, maybe a hockey trade that makes sense or a depth signing once the cap situation has been dealt with and all the RFAs are re-signed.

10/10 would be if Treliving made a hockey trade involving Neal, as I personally don't see him bouncing back, and found him useless in all 3 zones on the Flames outside of maybe a 5 game or so stretch late in the season. The playoff leader who was supposed to show the way was a healthy scratch in the elimination game - that is telling of just how useful he was. If Treliving found a way to unload that one big contract, he would get a perfect 10 for me.

My philosophy is simple, however. You get an automatic pass (5/10) simply for not giving a player in his 30's a big contract with both term and dollars. You get another couple of points simply for not over-paying depth players (who ideally you should be developing in-house, but no team in the NHL really develops all their depth themselves of course). Then you get a point for every hole you fill with short-term, low-dollar contracts to fill holes on your team.

Flames scored a 9 in my totally un-scientific and arbitrary calculation.

You also minus points for not filling a hole. Maybe Treliving only managed an 8 since he perhaps hasn't filled in a top 6 RW hole in the lineup for that second line, or made that third line more effective... but then again, Neal.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:22 AM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incomplete,

He hasn’t finished yet so no point in grading him. He doesn’t appear to have screwed up and I like the direction of goaltending
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote