Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2019, 11:06 PM   #41
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Warriors adding D'Angelo Russell is pretty shocking.
I think he could still be flipped after this season for 3/D wings. Sine they can’t get below the cap they need to accumulate assets to reload for 2021.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #42
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

That'll be nuts if Kawhi goes to the Lakers, that'd have to sting for the Clippers..

I know seeing him around the greater Toronto area in the days post-title had people thinking "he stay", but with all these Cali reports and rumours heating up, I'm wondering if him hitting generic Toronto and area spots (Jays, Niagara etc) was just his way of soaking up the city and the love the final stretch going into UFA because he knows he's gone..Kind of saying goodbye to a place/team he genuinely really enjoyed before heading home to play in L.A. I'm starting to view it from this angle now...but we'll see what happens.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #43
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone explain sign and trade in the NBA? Durant agrees to a UFA contract with the Nets, then the Nets and Warriors work out a sign and trade for him, sending valuable assets back to Golden State. Why wouldn’t the Nets trade those assets elsewhere or at least get more out of GS for doing them a favour?

NBA economics baffle me
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #44
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Can anyone explain sign and trade in the NBA? Durant agrees to a UFA contract with the Nets, then the Nets and Warriors work out a sign and trade for him, sending valuable assets back to Golden State. Why wouldn’t the Nets trade those assets elsewhere or at least get more out of GS for doing them a favour?

NBA economics baffle me
They aren't doing GS a favor. GS is doing them a favour by signing him to a bigger contract with better cap implications and then trading him. If he goes as a UFA it's worse for Brooklyn.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #45
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

NBA economics baffle me
Me too. I've probably googled "trade exception" 10 times over the years but I still don't really understand what it is or how it works.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #46
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likewise - I'm not sure who really knows what all the red tape is. Just as puzzling is how the teams can't announce their signings until the 6th though it's pretty much already a done deal.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #47
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Likewise - I'm not sure who really knows what all the red tape is. Just as puzzling is how the teams can't announce their signings until the 6th though it's pretty much already a done deal.
I believe the 6th is when the league financials are official and the cap is set even though the league's year end etc is already done and everyone knows what the cap is
Old 07-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #48
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Me too. I've probably googled "trade exception" 10 times over the years but I still don't really understand what it is or how it works.
Exceptions are ways to go over the cap. Normally teams that are over the cap (or planning to be over the cap soon) don't want to lose salary, because once they lose it they can't easily add it again (beyond giving raises to players they already have).

For example, the cap is currently $109 million, and let's say the Raptors are $15 million over, at $124. They can make a trade with roughly matching salary going in and out, (let's say $20 million), and stay $15 million over.

But let's say they want to make a trade with a team that has cap space, and trade that $20 million player without taking salary back (maybe just a draft pick). Now they've reduced their salary down to $5 million under the cap. This means that even though they lost a $20 million player, they've only got $5 million of cap-space to replace him with.

This is where trade exceptions come in. Our trade in which we lost a $20 million player created a $20 million trade exception for the Raptors. This means that for the next year, it can be used to take on additional salary in trades. Maybe we trade a $10 million player for a $30 million player. Maybe we sign-and-trade to acquire a $20 million player.

There are a couple caveats to how they're used: they can be used only in single-player trades (ie. one-for-one trades, or one-for-draft-picks/cash trades); and you can't use multiple trade exceptions in a single trade. But you can use one exception multiple times... ie. you could carve up that one $20 million exception to facilitate a couple trades in which you take on about $10 million extra salary in each.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #49
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
That'll be nuts if Kawhi goes to the Lakers, that'd have to sting for the Clippers..

I know seeing him around the greater Toronto area in the days post-title had people thinking "he stay", but with all these Cali reports and rumours heating up, I'm wondering if him hitting generic Toronto and area spots (Jays, Niagara etc) was just his way of soaking up the city and the love the final stretch going into UFA because he knows he's gone..Kind of saying goodbye to a place/team he genuinely really enjoyed before heading home to play in L.A. I'm starting to view it from this angle now...but we'll see what happens.
He was also photgraphed at Home Depot picking up moving boxes. Some speculated he was actually in Toronto for an extra week to move his life out of there, which makes some sense.

If so, he probably wanted to be seen a bit and rep Toronto sports to soften the blow if leaving after one year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #50
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Ramona Shelboirne (who works with Woj) said basically know one knows anything with Kawhi. He takes meetings to hear teams as part of his due diligence but that no one is leaking his preferred destination. She was explicit yesterday when kawhi's camp told her and Woj they wanted to meet with magic and Jeannie buss that it was an information gathering exercise and not indicative of anything other thanhe is considering the Lakers along with some other franchises.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #51
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like possibly the pitch meeting is going down in Toronto this afternoon. Masai and Bobby Webster with multiple suites booked in a downtown hotel, MLSE private jet landing shortly at YYZ from LAX.
Probably it's a good sign that Kawhi's coming here for the meeting, rather than just having the Raptors come to him in LA.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #52
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is back in Toronto

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146471233468284928
Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well he did say the last meeting would go to Ujuri.

Even with that though, I think this is a really good sign. The meeting could have been requested to happen in LA. He said he would announce tomorrow IIRC and if so, he is going to want to be in the city he signs with, and its doubtful he is jetting in for the day and turning right around?

Maybe Im reading to much into that though...one would also think he would like to be in LA/San Diego tomorrow for all the festivities...its a big family time in the US on the 4th.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #54
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fingers crossed extra hard on this one! Please stay!!! lol
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #55
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP24 treating this like the OJ chase, going to extra mile to give Kawhi that LA feel. Respect.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #56
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what it would feel like to have the whole basketball world watching your every move, suitors bending over backwards for you, and, not to mention, signing a 200 million dollar contract. Some situations just seem so far removed from reality.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #57
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woah didn't expect him to go back to Toronto. I thought Ujuri would have want to Cali to offer him the meeting.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #58
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146478600687935490
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #59
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
#### me. Leave him alone people if you want the slightest chance of getting him back.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #60
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
#### me. Leave him alone people if you want the slightest chance of getting him back.
The stupidity of people/media knows no bounds.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post: