Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #2001
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With Sather stepping down from the Rangers, Coiler fans are thinking he is the answer to their troubles, it just keeps getting better and better!

In the words of Captain Sweatpants, “Lets Go!”
Realistic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Realistic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #2002
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
With Sather stepping down from the Rangers, Coiler fans are thinking he is the answer to their troubles, it just keeps getting better and better!

In the words of Captain Sweatpants, “Lets Go!”
You see....the real problem with the Old Boys Club was just not enough Old Boys!

They knew the secret all along but just couldnt collect enough cereal-box tops to get their secret decoder ring.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #2003
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly I am interested to see the distribution for how much Oiler fans spend a year on the Oilers.

I know for the Flames I am already pushing pretty close to $1000 after buying payoff tickets.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #2004
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
See that's the best part.

He has a No Movement Clause, so they in fact HAVE to protect him!

Oh my god...I love that contract so much!!!

If it’s possible, I would not be surprised if Lucic is more than willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. He gets his money either way and it will mean he gets a slight chance to get out of Edmonton. But Seattle would never take him without a bunch of added incentives (1st round pick++).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #2005
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly I am interested to see the distribution for how much Oiler fans spend a year on the Oilers.

I know for the Flames I am already pushing pretty close to $1000 after buying payoff tickets.
I think if you take playoff tickets out of the equation for obvious reasons, Oiler fans spend more. I'm literally looking out from my office into the lobby right now and there is a guy decked head to toe in brand new Oilers gear. Wouldn't be shocked if his truck isn't covered in Oilers stickers with a new Oilers licence plate.

My Oiler fan coworkers are all going to the game on Saturday. They hilariously bought tickets back when they thought this was going to be some kind of playoff preview. Keep in mind, this means they need to drive 3 hours each way, get a hotel, etc.

The absolute dedication to their team is probably the only thing I can genuinely respect about an Oilers fan. You know that no one repping Oilers colours in April is a bandwagon fan. They may have a screw loose, sure. But they aren't doing it because it's what all the other cool kids are doing.

Of course, spending lots of money on a new Oilers track jacket to hide your tattered 1987 Stanley Cup Champs t-shirt doesn't make you a good fan automatically but my point is that I think Oilers fans are much more willing to crack open their wallet than Flames fans.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #2006
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm looking for a new partner.
he said 'dink', not 'twink'
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #2007
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
he said 'dink', not 'twink'
.....it was squiggy and the dink that brought down PIMking.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #2008
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You see....the real problem with the Old Boys Club was just not enough Old Boys!

They knew the secret all along but just couldnt collect enough cereal-box tops to get their secret decoder ring.
This is like Sauron himself becoming available. They have to hire Sather, and then he will gather all the sweatpanters to him.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #2009
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
This is like Sauron himself becoming available. They have to hire Sather, and then he will gather all the sweatpanters to him.
He is the one to bring them all in and in the mustard stained wifebeaters bind them!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #2010
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
You don’t have to protect him. If they take him... he basically protected all your other assets - this is a good thing.
Wait a second. Are you seriously trying to say that Lucic is worth picking up?

He doesn't protect anything. He has a NMC clause, so yeah you have to protect him. Sure you could get him to try and waive it, but why risk getting painted into a corner. All that and there are 4 more seasons. 4. More. Seasons.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #2011
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1113810782368612352
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jschick88 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #2012
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Is that an option for expansion drafts? Just ask the player to waive and then you don't have to protect them? Or are y'all saying ask him to waive so they can trade him before the draft?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #2013
JackIsBack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
See that's the best part.
He has a No Movement Clause, so they in fact HAVE to protect him!

Oh my god...I love that contract so much!!!
Lol.... I see your point. He must take a spot for Edmonton. Suppose a team has more NMC then protective spots - I’m wonder if for the expansion draft, if there is some modifications on this clause by the collective agreement, they must have anticipated this happening.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #2014
JackIsBack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Wait a second. Are you seriously trying to say that Lucic is worth picking up?

He doesn't protect anything. He has a NMC clause, so yeah you have to protect him. Sure you could get him to try and waive it, but why risk getting painted into a corner. All that and there are 4 more seasons. 4. More. Seasons.
No... not at the current price.... the conversation just went there. I was suggesting that if Edmonton retained 4 million per year.... then yes.... but someone pointed out that a team can only retain 50% max.

The original conversation was that Lucic’s contract is largely buyout proof and that by retaining 4 million... the Oilers will save more in cap space than a buyout (8 million vs 2.5 million) and 12 million vs. 2.5 million if they retain only 50%.

The question was then.... is Lucic worth 3 million for 4 years.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #2015
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Is that an option for expansion drafts? Just ask the player to waive and then you don't have to protect them? Or are y'all saying ask him to waive so they can trade him before the draft?
Fleury waived his so Murray could be protected by the Pens. I think he was one of the only ones that did though. Even then the Pens paid a 2nd rounder to take Fleury. There was talk about Anaheim asking Bieksa, but at the end of the day he was protected. Even though players had the option to waive, next to no one did.

With having to protect him for an expansion draft, it makes it even a worse contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 04-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #2016
JackIsBack
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Again .... This is your cap hit savings with a buyout for the first 4 years - all other years (4) you lose $625,000

$2,375,000
$375,000
$1,875,000
$375,000

and over the life of the remaining contract only $2,500,000

So over the first four years .... you save a combined 5 million in cap space.... then over the next 4 years, you give 1/2 of that savings back.

A 50/50 salary retention saves you 12 million and a 66.67% salary retention saves you 8 million - both significantly better than the straight buyout.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #2017
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again .... This is your cap hit savings with a buyout for the first 4 years - all other years (4) you lose $625,000

$2,375,000
$375,000
$1,875,000
$375,000

and over the life of the remaining contract only $2,500,000

So over the first four years .... you save a combined 5 million in cap space.... then over the next 4 years, you give 1/2 of that savings back.

A 50/50 salary retention saves you 12 million and a 66.67% salary retention saves you 8 million - both significantly better than the straight buyout.
Essentially what you are saying is any cap space is better than Lucic. The problem is that it may cost you a significant asset to get someone to take him, even with 50% retained. Probably starts with Evan Bouchard or the first this year.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #2018
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No... not at the current price.... the conversation just went there. I was suggesting that if Edmonton retained 4 million per year.... then yes.... but someone pointed out that a team can only retain 50% max.

The original conversation was that Lucic’s contract is largely buyout proof and that by retaining 4 million... the Oilers will save more in cap space than a buyout (8 million vs 2.5 million) and 12 million vs. 2.5 million if they retain only 50%.

The question was then.... is Lucic worth 3 million for 4 years.
Not a chance, after a 20 point season, and at age 30. 3 x 4 is almost unjustifiable. The primary issue is the term. 34 year old Lucic is not going to be good. let alone 32 year old Lucic.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #2019
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Not a chance, after a 20 point season, and at age 30. 3 x 4 is almost unjustifiable. The primary issue is the term. 34 year old Lucic is not going to be good. let alone 32 year old Lucic.
Or 31
Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #2020
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the cap penalty if he retires?