Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:
Exclamation Big Brother Canada Season 6 - Help Save Ryan!

Hardcore Flames and Stamps fan Ryan Ballantine is on the block this week, and we have a chance to help him out!

https://www.bigbrothercanada.ca/news...ves-bombshell/

Be sure to visit that page on Wednesday, April 11 starting at 6PM MT (8PM ET) to vote and help keep Ryan in the house!

Last edited by Mathgod; 04-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan is a buddy of mine and a great guy. Let’s bring the power of cp to help him

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 04-08-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Save a fellow horseman and all around great guy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been watching. Is he the target for eviction? Is he in the cross hairs of a power alliance or is it simply a case of two people had to go up for eviction? Will seems to be getting a lot of support in the comments section.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-08-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah he was on the block last week and managed to completely split the house and survived. I'm sure he's on again because he's become a threat.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Ryan is going to need our help to be saved this week. He is losing a popularity contest. It would be nice to have one of our guys see our support.

CP Jihad?
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s up for eviction because he’s been a condescending know-it-all and has become socially ostracized as a result. Even if he’s saved this week he’s on borrowed time — didn’t go out last week because Merton was just a complete dud.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I haven't been watching. Is he the target for eviction? Is he in the cross hairs of a power alliance or is it simply a case of two people had to go up for eviction? Will seems to be getting a lot of support in the comments section.
Doesn’t seem like he has a lot of alliances
The house is really young and he just hasn’t clicked with them
Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can’t stand this Alejandra. She’s absolutely useless but thinks she runs things.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-08-2018 at 08:38 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Doesn’t seem like he has a lot of alliances
The house is really young and he just hasn’t clicked with them
I just think he really botched his early HOH — could’ve leveraged that into some solid gameplay, instead ended up evicting an ally and really rubbing people the wrong way. Like, trying to convince three people to throw a Veto competition in week 2 is just not going to go well. I think he thought he was so knowledgeable in the game that he thought he was gonna be like Paul in the last US season, people would just do whatever he says. But it didn’t work out that way.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
He’s up for eviction because he’s been a condescending know-it-all and has become socially ostracized as a result. Even if he’s saved this week he’s on borrowed time — didn’t go out last week because Merton was just a complete dud.
I think this season was a particularly bad one for Ryan to be on because there has been an 'in' crowd (females in their 20s or any male that those females perceive as attractive) and an 'out' crowd (anyone else).

The in crowd has stuck together and voted out all the outsiders.

In my opinion, the show has turned into a complete joke because unless you are in correct demographic, you have no shot at winning. My guess is that Ryan recognized this and decided to go for broke. He has got this far by outlasting some of the others but his time is running out. That said, we can still try to help him stay for an extra week and then hope for a miracle of some sort.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #12
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I think this season was a particularly bad one for Ryan to be on because there has been an 'in' crowd (females in their 20s or any male that those females perceive as attractive) and an 'out' crowd (anyone else).

The in crowd has stuck together and voted out all the outsiders.

In my opinion, the show has turned into a complete joke because unless you are in correct demographic, you have no shot at winning. My guess is that Ryan recognized this and decided to go for broke. He has got this far by outlasting some of the others but his time is running out. That said, we can still try to help him stay for an extra week and then hope for a miracle of some sort.
On top of that, there’s just far too many gimmicks on the Canadian version of big brother. They basically completely disrupt people’s gameplay 4-5 times a season. This Canada saves someone is total BD. Hottest contestant wins.
Someone like Ryan doesn’t even have a chance.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is to an extent the same problem as the US Big Brother in that they typically throw in a couple of middle aged adults in a house filled with 20-something year old's and it's tough to fit in as you either try the mother/father figure angle or you try to get into an early alliance and ride it as far as it goes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/BBCANRyan/status/983405847526035456
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've known Ryan Ballantine for about 20 years now. When I heard he was going to be on this show, all I could think to myself was, "yup...makes sense". He lives for these things.

Quote:
He’s up for eviction because he’s been a condescending know-it-all
Sounds about right. That's why I love the guy and it's also why he grates on everyone's nerves at some point. He's not shy about having an opinion on literally everything, whether he's an expert or not. We've had quite a few healthy debates over the course of our friendship, but if you're not used to his personality, you're going to dislike him almost immediately.

At any rate, good luck Ryan! I'm pulling for you!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big brother Canada is trash.

Too much interference in the game for it to be any good. They should have left it cancelled.

Literally they only need to stay out of the game to make it better haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I hope Ryan can win POV/get the online vote and stick it to this high school "cool kids" clique. Hearing Kaela's little speech about why she was putting Ryan on the block was cringeworthy and then going back on her word to Will.

There should also be a drinking game for every time Maddie cries. Sweet mercy, the constant waterworks.

https://twitter.com/user/status/983549099034071040

Last edited by Mango; 04-10-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He lives for these things.

That's why I love the guy and it's also why he grates on everyone's nerves at some point. He's not shy about having an opinion on literally everything, whether he's an expert or not.
I have not seen any of this Big Brother, but how can one live for this type of thing and not realize that a big part of the game is the social aspect? If he grates on everyone's nerves and he's not going to change his approach in the game then he's either strategically inept or socially clueless.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I have not seen any of this Big Brother, but how can one live for this type of thing and not realize that a big part of the game is the social aspect? If he grates on everyone's nerves and he's not going to change his approach in the game then he's either strategically inept or socially clueless.
Meh, he just can't help himself sometimes. Part of his strategy is to mess with people psychologically. Sometimes people pick up on this as a deliberate strategy, but other times they don't and he ends up getting what he wants from them. He's a pretty crafty guy, and often people don't realize they're being manipulated by him. He's actually quite approachable, but does have this tendency to be a know-it-all that rubs people the wrong way. If you don't mind him being opinionated, he's pretty good to get along with.

I haven't watched at all because I can't get it down here, but I'd be pretty curious to see him in action.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think the mistake he made was telling other house guests that he was a genius of the game. There's no upside to that - only risking that people will view you as a target.

And then he miss-managed his first HOH putting himself in a scenario where he was voting out one of the two guys that he actually had ties with.

So he hasn't played a great game so far.

But I also think the make-up of the house is about as bad as it can be for him.

I can tell you he's a great guy who will do anything for his family and friends.

But I also figured he would either establish some close relationships early that he could ride with, or he would perhaps have a hard time finding those connections. Too bad it's been the latter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:

Tags
ballantine , bbc , big brother , big brother canada , ryan