Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2023, 12:28 PM   #1
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default All Purpose 2023 Fantasy Football Thread

Making this thread for the new year! Have a FF draft in a couple of weeks and want to be prepared for it.

Ranking QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs, Flex players, Defenses, K's
Dynasty league advice
Sleeper picks
Who NOT to pick
Waiver wire pick ups
Injury updates
Suspension updates
Mock drafts
Preseason intel
Article(s)

All questions, comments, anything fantasy football related! Try asking for advice or questions on a preference of a player well before the game so that a thread like this that does not get looked at a lot will be looked at and responded.

I prefer using a thread full of people that have good football minds over forking money for FF knowledge (you should never have to pay for that). Let's all help each other win our FF leagues.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

12 team league with 1 point PPR, passing TD only worth 4 points. I have the 6th pick..

1QB
2RB
3WR
1TE
1 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
1 DST

Past couple years receivers and QB's went early. I think it will be more that case this year as I'm not sure that Kenny Pickett will emerge as a top 8 Fantasy QB, or any of the rookies will as we've seen in recent years with Laerence/Fields/Hurts. So I don't think I'll carry more than 4 RB's on my roster this year.

But I'm right in the spot where Kelce and Eckeler likely end up, and I think both are due for some type of regression and possible missed time given their ages and past usage. Kupp might be there too, but hes a bit risky too due to age/injury. I'm hoping for a WR like Hill or Brown to be there, and grab a guy like Pollard on the turn. Maybe try Bijan Robinson and trade him after his bye for a more veteran guy as rookie backs who get used early do fade by playoffs.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a big fan of picking Kelce. May be due for regression, but he's basically a glorified WR, which no FF user will mind that has him. If he's there at 6 and there are plenty of WRs available at your next pick, might be best to just select Kelce at look for a receiver at the next pick. Bonus if you can snag Mahommes or Allen too. Both are legitimate starters that I know I am going to have to pick in the early 20's if I have a pick in that range.

As for RBs I think there are so many to choose from that you should be fine in selecting an RB in 3rd/4th rounds.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:06 PM   #4
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm the Spurs of Chiefs fans....I'd hate myself if I drafted Kelce at 6 and come game 2 he's on IR...for anyone else...he could be a solid pick because you can get WR1 out of a position that's usually the least productive for most teams. I've always had a no Chiefs policy on my team except for injury handcuff types. Maybe I should change that this year.

As for RB...if I can't get one of the top 6 guys. I'm prepared to go to round 6 type of thing and get 4 WR and a QB or 3WR and one of the top 3 TE's plus a QB in the first 60 picks.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 08-22-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:01 PM   #5
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why is Tua ranked so low as a QB1 when he has elite receivers and a creative offensive scheme in Miami. Is it the injury history?
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:31 PM   #6
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Injury history and zero rushing upside. Guys like Allen, Hurts, Fields, Jackson all offer 600 yards plus of rushing and at least 5 rushing TD potential. Burrow, Mahomes, Lawrence, Herbert offer some running and possible TD equity. Than you have guys like D.Jones and DeSean Watson who have that potential. So given the value of rushing yards and rushing TD's. If passing TD's are 4 points, a guy with 300 yards and 2 TDs passing gets 20 points. A guy who throws for 200 and one TD, plus 50 yards rushing and a TD counts 23.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 06:36 PM   #7
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

My one league is considering a format where in addition to your head to head result, the top 6 point totals for the week would earn a bonus win, and 6 lowest get a loss. On one hand this will boost the better teams and likely get the top 6 scoring teams in the playoffs. But by doubling the season I think it will eliminate teams earlier and take away the fun. Part of Fantasy is ranting about the week where your second highest point total earned you a big fat L. I like how random luck can play a role.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:57 PM   #8
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice to reward the better teams but it will impact parity for sure. It’s also fun when the underdogs just make the playoffs then knock off the big guns.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:55 PM   #9
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need some draft advice. 12 team 3 keeper League 0.5 PPR.

Keepers are Lawrence, Pacheco and Samuel with pretty late picks.

I'm picking 10 and 16. I'm thinking of RB at 10 and WR at 16.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-01-2023, 08:19 AM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imo, the WR class has so much quality whereas the RBs have been kind of meh lately. At 10, I would prefer to go for a WR, there are some good ones out there.

Do you guys have any sleeper picks? Perhaps those that are projected to be selected outside the top 5? RB's/WR's preferred, but any position works.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:22 PM   #11
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I need some draft advice. 12 team 3 keeper League 0.5 PPR.

Keepers are Lawrence, Pacheco and Samuel with pretty late picks.

I'm picking 10 and 16. I'm thinking of RB at 10 and WR at 16.

Does that make sense?
How many WR and or Flex spots do you have?

Also depends who others opt to keep. Debo likely isn't going to get the same running game volume and a lot of pundits are picking him as a bust pick for round 4 as a WR2. With CMC, Aiyuk, and Kittle it's a lot of mouths for Purdy off an elbow injury to feed. Do you see them throwing 40 passes and 300 yards every game? That's the type of volume needed to keep 4 pass catchers fed.

Depending on how the board falls and who's there you could go WR/WR. Pacheco is a lower level RB2. Lawrence is the QB8 in most rankings. So you could be in tough to get the top talent to surround those guys.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:24 PM   #12
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
How many WR and or Flex spots do you have?.
2 WR, 1 Flex.

The keepers have been loaded so I'll update my draft list and post the top 25 available
Old 09-03-2023, 11:21 PM   #13
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is the top 20 or so.

I can filter whatever way you want.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #14
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm not very high on Connor or Sanders as I expect both of those to be bad offences. Breece Hall still has a fair bit of injury risk as he fits the Cam Akers/J.K.Dobbins profile where he may not do much during the Fantasy Regular season. Javonte Williams would be in that group too.

In that list there's 5 guys who would be in the top 24 overall and another 4 who rate as 3rd round picks in a redraft. Frankly It's not a great list. I'm not as familiar with the 0.5 PPR format. But I think you have to get a RB and see what's left at WR.

Hill
Barkley
Mixon
Stephenson
Harris
Gibbs
Higgins
D.Smith
G. Wilson

Are who I would expect to be gone by the time you draft. So you either have your pick of the RB's and miss out on the only WR. Or you take Ridley and whatever is left at RB.

In either case...start studying depth charts because no other way to put this...things look bleak for you. At least you're not the guy with an entire team of top 2 tier players asking how your roster looks making me wonder if you're in a 4 team league where the other 3 are run by monkeys who couldn't pick any top 20 players.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:35 AM   #15
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
There is the top 20 or so.

I can filter whatever way you want.
Some guys I like:

Jones - might need to heavily use the running game to shelter Love. Dillon might take some attempts though.

Dobbins - high risk high reward. He is made of glass, but when available he’s one of the best.

Akers - simply put, no one is ahead of him and I think he gets a lot of attempts to rush.

Barkley - I’m not as high as others are on him, but he finally showed some promise last season. I think he can absolutely have another banger year.

All of the WRs are good options.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #16
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just did my league. 14 people, PPR, you only get 3 bench spots. RB/WR is a position so it’s flexible to have either with some many people in the league:

QB: J. Allen
RB: Pollard
RB/WR: McLaurin
WR: K. Allen
TE: Hockenson
FLEX: Cooks
D/ST: 49ers
K: Pinero

Bench: Mostert
Bench: Dillon
Bench: Smith-Schuster

I like my RBs, I think my weakest link is WR, but Cooks could surprise as a great option behind Lamb. I tried picking receivers that may not always get 100+ yards, but they make it up in the times they receive the ball.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:03 AM   #17
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I'm not very high on Connor or Sanders as I expect both of those to be bad offences. Breece Hall still has a fair bit of injury risk as he fits the Cam Akers/J.K.Dobbins profile where he may not do much during the Fantasy Regular season. Javonte Williams would be in that group too.
I agree on Arizona having a garbage offense but I actually expect Conner to see most of the work. The passing game will be awful so you'll have to be run heavy.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:14 AM   #18
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I agree on Arizona having a garbage offense but I actually expect Conner to see most of the work. The passing game will be awful so you'll have to be run heavy.
Problem for them is that I see them being down 20 plus do often, I don't know how long they'll stay with a run game. Plus by mid season I can see them auditioning rookies over a washed vet like Connor who's not in their long term plans. Guys like Hollywood and Rondale Moore to me will benefit a lot more from garbage time and neither I'd very old. Moore Inlike to have 9 catches and 70 yards every week he plays type of thing, which in PPR is not a bad floor.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:08 PM   #19
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Just did my league. 14 people, PPR, you only get 3 bench spots. RB/WR is a position so it’s flexible to have either with some many people in the league:

QB: J. Allen
RB: Pollard
RB/WR: McLaurin
WR: K. Allen
TE: Hockenson
FLEX: Cooks
D/ST: 49ers
K: Pinero

Bench: Mostert
Bench: Dillon
Bench: Smith-Schuster

I like my RBs, I think my weakest link is WR, but Cooks could surprise as a great option behind Lamb. I tried picking receivers that may not always get 100+ yards, but they make it up in the times they receive the ball.
In a 14 team league that's decent. Mostert will get some good early looks in Miami so you might be able to trade him after week 2 or 3 for a good WR piece.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:41 PM   #20
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Had my draft tonight
12 team league picking 6th 1 point PPR passing T's are 6 points
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1DST

QB Rogers yuck...but QB's went early and 4 guys took a second guy before Rd.12
RB1 Pollard was happy to get him with my 2nd pick.
RB2 R.Stevenson 4th round pick, board went funny in rds 2/3
WR1 Tyreek Hill was my top pick, was quite happy to get him
WR2 Keenan Allen 3rd pick, bad pick had him rated too high
WR3 Tyler Lockett 5th pick in front of 2 Seahawk fans a bit of a reach
TE Daulton Schultz 13th round pick top 10 went in first 9 rounds
FLEX Drake London round 6, I like his target potential
DST Dallas Round 14 of 16 and 9th Defence picked
BN Christian Kirk round 7, wanted WR depth this year
BN Jonathan Taylor round 8, took a risk here
BN Zay Flowers round 10, was happy to get him here
BN Zach Charbonnet round 11, again sniping the 2 Seahawk fans
BN Romeo Doubbs round 15, 2nd year WR gamble
BN Brock Purdy round 16 not ideal but this or Mack Jones

Should have taken Hurts in round 3...regret that. Got the WR depth and upside I hoped for. If JT plays and finds form he could be valuable. Weak at TE and QB but this draft had a run on them in rounds 3 and 4 and top 8 QB were gone early in round 5. If Rogers rebounds to be a top 10 QB I might be okay.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-05-2023 at 10:47 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: