Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #341
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

aaah. is it worth all the trouble?
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #342
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
aaah. is it worth all the trouble?
How about a full slate of current movies and a huge selection of current and mainstream TV shows? Not to mention that it gives you access to Hulu, which is a goldmine of online content.

If I had time to watch TV, I would be doing it for sure, but I have canceled my Netflix due to workload, so it is on hold until the summer.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #343
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
How about a full slate of current movies and a huge selection of current and mainstream TV shows? Not to mention that it gives you access to Hulu, which is a goldmine of online content.

If I had time to watch TV, I would be doing it for sure, but I have canceled my Netflix due to workload, so it is on hold until the summer.
Full slate of current movies my ass. The only thing that much better about U.S. Netflix is the selection of TV shows, but even then the Canadian version has shows that the U.S. one doesn't (e.g. Mad Men).
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #344
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Full slate of current movies my ass. The only thing that much better about U.S. Netflix is the selection of TV shows, but even then the Canadian version has shows that the U.S. one doesn't (e.g. Mad Men).
The U.S. Netflix seems to have most of the latest releases that you see in a video store or on iTunes. The Social Network, Inception and Red are some of the ones I did a quick check on. Which movies were you looking for that were not on Netflix?
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #345
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All of the movies you listed are only available on DVD from the US Netflix which doesn't really help us Canadians. The online streaming only has titles like Up, District 9, Star Trek etc. that are a couple years old.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #346
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
All of the movies you listed are only available on DVD from the US Netflix which doesn't really help us Canadians. The online streaming only has titles like Up, District 9, Star Trek etc. that are a couple years old.
My bad. You are right. I'll have to look more carefully next time before I put my foot in my mouth.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #347
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I tried to get the American Netflix and failed. I couldn't seem to set my wireless router up properly to make it happen. I have a friend who's a computer nerd - next time he's over I'll try to get him to hook me up. Oh well.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #348
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Good point, I hadn't noticed that.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #349
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

i enjoy how horrible alot of the movies are on netflix canada.. there is even some weird rare b movies that i was happy to see in there.

you dont get much for $10 in the way of entertainment so it isn't a horrible deal
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #350
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've gone through two TV shows in the past couple months and am working on the second season of one.

If I rented this, the total bill would have been over $60. If I had bought, the total bill would be near $130. I paid $16.

When I'm tired of the catalog, I'll just end my subscription. I really don't comprehend the hate on Netflix in Canada - it's great value for the money assuming there is stuff you want to watch. If there isn't, just cancel the subscription.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #351
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I've gone through two TV shows in the past couple months and am working on the second season of one.

If I rented this, the total bill would have been over $60. If I had bought, the total bill would be near $130. I paid $16.

When I'm tired of the catalog, I'll just end my subscription. I really don't comprehend the hate on Netflix in Canada - it's great value for the money assuming there is stuff you want to watch. If there isn't, just cancel the subscription.
My major issue lies in it's inability to maintain quality when streaming on my Xbox. Often times I get the very lowest quality. I have a very good connection, and it happens when wired in or wireless. I have tried several different strategies to increase and maintain quality, but so far nothing has worked. My PC always streams the show in the highest quality available.

The selection is what I expected, and had been warned about. There are over two dozen documentaries I want to watch, and several TV shows that I am either in the middle of or am planning to watch. There are even a few movies I haven't seen before, or in a very long time that I am looking forward to getting reacquainted with.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #352
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
My major issue lies in it's inability to maintain quality when streaming on my Xbox. Often times I get the very lowest quality. I have a very good connection, and it happens when wired in or wireless. I have tried several different strategies to increase and maintain quality, but so far nothing has worked. My PC always streams the show in the highest quality available.
Likely has to do with either your connection to the Xbox or the software itself. Especially if your PC can produce a consistent high quality connection.

I get great results on the PS3 - I just absolutely loathe the interface they provide on that platform.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #353
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Likely has to do with either your connection to the Xbox or the software itself. Especially if your PC can produce a consistent high quality connection.

I get great results on the PS3 - I just absolutely loathe the interface they provide on that platform.
It's strange then. I have 2 separate Xbox's in two different areas of the home. One is wired, one is not. Both have the same trouble.

I thought it was my connection as well, but that has proved not to be the case. My router is up to date and optimized, and still I get the problem. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is more often than not.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #354
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It's strange then. I have 2 separate Xbox's in two different areas of the home. One is wired, one is not. Both have the same trouble.

I thought it was my connection as well, but that has proved not to be the case. My router is up to date and optimized, and still I get the problem. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is more often than not.
A couple of things that you could try (apologies if I mentioned this before and/or if you've already tried it):

- Try bypassing the router entirely and connecting directly to the modem with one of the Xboxes. Might be a pain unless you've got a long ethernet cord as you'll obviously need to be connected to the TV to see what's going on.

- Try power-cycling the modem by unplugging it for a bit.

There's obviously something going on between your Xbox and Netflix. Bypassing the router should give you a better idea as to whether it is in fact your router or a Shaw issue.

If you're really determined to troubleshoot it, take your Xbox to a friend's place and try it there. My brother-in-law was having a strange lag problem with his PS3, but only in a certain game when playing online. I took my PS3 over and it did the same thing, we bypassed the router and it still happened. Although Shaw initially said that everything was fine (and most other games/applications acted normally), after presenting them with that, the issue was resolved days later. Not sure exactly what they did, but it had nothing to do with his hardware or anything else in his house. It must have been an issue upstream.

Edit: And to add to that, everything else about his internet connection appeared normal. Strong, fast connection. Multiple computers used it without issue. But the PS3s in certain situations were revealing an issue with the connection that was otherwise unnoticeable.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 02-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #355
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Jimmy Stang

Yeah, the one thing I haven't tried is just bypassing my router and hooking up directly to the modem. Fortunately the modem is right next to one of my Xbox's, so I'll give that a try. I have a pretty old router, but it does the job with every other device I have hooked up through it (wired/wireless), much like your friend.

Every now and then I will get an entire episode/movie in excellent quality, but most of the time it either switches back and forth or stays on the lowest bar the whole way through.

Thanks for the concern and advice.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #356
Otto29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Netflix works fantastic on my Wii! We use it all the time. Its awesome for the kids due to the fairly good selection of cartoons. We also get to introduce them to classics like Ren & Stimpy!

Part of the reason that shaw wants to jump all over bandwidth is to partially squash Netflix. The movie selection on VOD is about the same as Netflix (except new releases) so they are worried the will lose money.

Thats my theory at least.
Otto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #357
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have had a few shows start very low res (to the point i was ready to turn it off) then they came back to normal.

you could also try running a speedtest.net test while you are streaming to see what your current speeds are. More then likely it sounds like an issue with the 360/app then connection. I do not have a 360 so i am not sure how the stuff updates but possibly that is it?
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #358
Prototype

Exp:

Big agreement between Netflix and CBS. Unsure if it includes Netflix Canada.

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=384
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #359
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty big addition over the last couple days.

For me most notably community season 1, and a bunch of the Friday the 13th movies!

http://app.whatsnewonnetflix.com/
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #360
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

The add Barberella two days after I cancel. I now hate them.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post: