Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Jake Boltman 0 0%
Daniil Chechelev 0 0%
Mathias Emilio Pettersen 1 0.37%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Ryan Francis 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 1 0.37%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rory Kerins 0 0%
Johannes Kinnvall 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 1 0.37%
Yan Kuznetsov 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Connor Mackey 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Illya Nikolayev 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 0 0%
Jakob Pelletier 11 4.06%
Matthew Phillips 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Jeremie Poirier 1 0.37%
Colton Poolman 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Illay Solovyov 0 0%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Juuso Valimaki 230 84.87%
Dustin Wolf 5 1.85%
Alexander Yelesin 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 0 0%
Connor Zary 21 7.75%
Dmitri Zavgorodny 0 0%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #21
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Valimaki
Zary
Pelletier
Mackey
Wolf
Kutznetsov
Poirier
Ruzicka
Pettersen
Nikolayev
Zavgorodny
Phillips
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #22
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

dangit, I jumped the gun and clicked on the wrong prospect. My vote shoulda been for Valimaki....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #23
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy first choice in Valimaki for me. I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s “Pelletier vs Zary” debate. I’m fairly certain they’re the next two up but I’m not sure who I’m leaning towards yet.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #24
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I could see a possible argument for Zary or Pelletier, but Valimaki just looks too much like a stud d-man so far. Gotta be him at #1.

Edit: woah...people are voting for a goalie as #1? A goalie that's average to below average height and taken in the 7th round? Over ALL of our other prospects??? The mind reels.

Seriously, state your case. I cannot fathom that vote. I want to know reasons now.
Over rating goalies is a CP prospect ranking tradition! Check out some of the past results like 2015 where Gilles was 3rd, Ortio was 5th and Mason Freaking McDonald was 12th (one spot ahead of Rasmus Andersson).
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #25
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This is how I see the different tiers of Flames prospects
1 Impact NHLers
- Valimaki, Zary and Pelletier

2. A good chance at graduating to the NHL one day
- Emilio Pettersen, Phillips , Mackey, Yelesin , Gawdin, Zavgorodniy

3. Guys with the right upside, but still a long shot for various reasons
- Ruzicka, Tuulola, Kuznetsov, Poirier, Boltmann, Nikolaev, Pospisil
I would adjust the tiers slightly:

1. Impact NHLers
-Valimaki

2. NHLers
-Zary, Pelletier, Mackey

3. Good chance to make the NHL one day
-Petterson, Wolf, Gawdin, Phillips, Zavgorodniy, Yelesin

4. Guys with the right upside, but still a long shot for various reasons
- Ruzicka, Tuulola, Kuznetsov, Poirier, Boltmann, Nikolaev, Pospisil, Lerby, Kinvall, Poolman, Parsons, Zagidulin, Philip

5. Unknowns (2020 class)
-Chechelev, Francis, Kerins, Solovyov

6. Probably not
-everyone else
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #26
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
JV. I don’t necessarily see the Heiskanen in him, but he’s a mature, composed player and I’m looking forward to what he brings.

He’s just missed so much time.
Yeah I've seen a few Heiskanen comparisons, and I just hope not too many people are thinking that, as that's an extremely high standard. Välimäki could become the Flames #1 defenseman and still end up a whole tier below Heiskanen.

Expectations for Heiskanen are reaching "multiple Norris trophy winning generational player" levels. (Whether he meets that expectation is another question of course.)

Välimäki has only played 24 games so far. Playing big minutes in SM-liiga should help, but the NHL is a pretty big step up. His ceiling could be really high, but let's set the expectations on some reasonable level.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #27
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

For people who are high on Pelletier: What has he shown so far that would put him ahead of say Pettersen? Is there a reason to be excited about this prospect, aside from the fact that he was a first round pick? Is he a sure thing or is there a good chance he winds up like Poirier, Klimchuk, etc. as far as recent(ish) late firsts?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
For people who are high on Pelletier: What has he shown so far that would put him ahead of say Pettersen? Is there a reason to be excited about this prospect, aside from the fact that he was a first round pick? Is he a sure thing or is there a good chance he winds up like Poirier, Klimchuk, etc. as far as recent(ish) late firsts?
He had a significant stretch of 2 PPG last year pre injury. He would have been a lock for Team Canada and IMO we would all have a much higher opinion of him. He's very different than Poirier in terms of player attitude and working tendencies. He's more skilled than Klimchuk ever was at the same level. Because of his style of play he is often compared to Brendan Gallagher. He will fit in the NHL on any of the lines due to this play style, so that should give him a higher floor than someone like Klimchuk or Poirier who weren't able to keep up the 3rd or 4th line grinds.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Petterson's NHLe last year at age 20 was 23 pts. At age 19 his NHLe was 17.

Pelletier's NHLe last year, at age 18 was 34. This year (only 6 games in of course) it's 35.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Pelletier will play in the NHL. He's oozing both soft skill and hard skill. Really reminds me of Eatbread as a prospect actually, although I think Eatbread is a better triggerman.

That said, I do rank him at #3 below Matthew Phillips. Phillips is by far our most underrated prospect. All he's done at every level is be a strong two-way player who scores and PKs and leads his team, has a great one-timer, right handed shot, and he's adorable.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pettersen was a 6th round pick - what do you see in him that would put him in conversations with any of the 1st rounds picks?

(i.e. it seems to me that it is Pettersen that requires some evidence in order to move up in the rankings, more than Pelletier, who comes with pedigree and stats)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #32
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Wolf #1. Should be #2. Completely missed Valimaki on that long list.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw it. I'm projecting Valimaki to be Heiskanen+
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #34
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A few things. It is worth noting that between Pelletier and Pettersen, I have only seen Pelletier live. Otherwise, I am depending on highlights and prospect analysis.

Pelletier gets praise for his work rate ( both in game and reported in practice), and as I mentioned earlier he has excellent habits. He is a 200ft player who is willing to mix it up in the corners and in front of the net, and he is very hard on the puck and smart on defense.

Pettersen is the more skilled player, he is a high level skater and passer. By most accounts he is an excellent play maker. That said, he is not great defensively and is not a 'guts of the game player'.

Basically Pelletier is going to play in the NHL because he fits in anywhere in the lineup. the Mangiapane comparison is excellent.

Pettersen is more of a Gaudreau architype. imo these players just as easily become Sven Bärtschi types, who struggle to help a team unless they get top 6 minutes, and even still if they don't score they arent any help.

tldr/ I have my own preference for prospects who can impact the game in many ways, and show good habits away from the puck.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

my top five:

Välimäki
Zary
Pelletier
Mackey
Zavgorodniy

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #36
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Pettersen was a 6th round pick - what do you see in him that would put him in conversations with any of the 1st rounds picks?

(i.e. it seems to me that it is Pettersen that requires some evidence in order to move up in the rankings, more than Pelletier, who comes with pedigree and stats)
Pettersen was the points leader on one of the top-5 teams in the NCAA last season, as a sophomore.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #37
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I've just heard a lot of optimism around Pettersen over the past few years, seems to be developing well and is considered to be high skill guy. I honestly don't know much of anything about Pelletier, so I was more or less using the Pettersen comparison because I've heard some hype around him, but wanted to understand the hype around Pelletier.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #38
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sure, Valimaki is OK. But have you heard of the latest shiny new thing?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #39
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

zero surprise with Valimaki, but really surprised to see Wolf #2
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #40
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably not be voting for Wolf till #6 or #7.

Zary, Pelletier, MacKey, Petterson, Zavgorodniy all get my vote before Wolf.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote