Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Camera Advice

I'm going to the Galapagos Islands this summer and I don't have a camera (use my phone for photos). I will be on a cruise, with day trips to various islands. While it sounds like you can get fairly close to the animals, I think it would be good to have a camera that could also do a decent job of taking photos from a distance.

Any recommendations for a camera that would do a decent job? It won't be used for a lot outside this trip, so I don't want to spend too much money or get something that is really complicated.

Thanks for suggestions.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Borrow one from a friend. Learn how to use it and practice on it up until you leave for your trip. The worst that can happen is you accidentally break it and have to buy the camera off your friend.

I don't see the point of buying one if you're just going to use it for this trip. Unless you buy, use then sell after the trip.

Most mirrorless camera are decent point and shoot options that will fit your needs. Sony NEX or A series seem to work well. Nikon J and V series also seem decent. I'm guessing those cameras are a huge upgrade from a phone camera though. There might be some used options on Kijiji for people getting rid of things in January to pay for Christmas bills?

I would definitely suggesting learning how to use a lens hood. Putting it on in reverse is a good way to store it, then putting it on properly can help reduce lens flares and glare.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

There is a website called dpreview that can be used to compare various cameras...

Honestly, you can probably save a LOT of $$$ by researching what you need (if you aren't a sophisticated user a lot of features will not be needed) and then buying a used camera a couple of years old. Cameras depreciate like crazy

I would look for a camera with great optical zoom...and then do some online courses on wildlife photo composition and spend your effort learning how to compose great pics..

Something like this is about $100 used

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcor...ationFlag=true

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'll be amazed how close you can get to the animals.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bridge camera. I have travelled with several throughout the years and for your purposes I don't think you can go wrong. I have been partial to Panasonic the past few years, the FZ200 or 300 are good cameras that could be had for under $300. They are a few years old but you don't need anything super fancy...though they have all the fancy settings too. Best feature about them is they are F2.8 through the whole zoom range which is large at 25-600mm. It would be a light easy to carry camera that gives you lots of flexibility no matter where the animals are. Panasonic has newer FZ1000 and 2000 models with better video. Canon, Olympus, Nikon et al have bridge cameras too.

I used my FZ200 for our Antarctic trip and came away very happy with what I ended up with. Comparing shots to what the pro on the trip took I'd say my scenery shots were very similar, with good light my animal pics were quite good, and in fast action I lost out as the lens wasn't fast enough...but trying to get a porpoising penguin is tough and even the pro on the trip with a $16k 600mm Nikon lens trashed a ton of images. The ones he did keep were amazing though.

A couple of my pics:

In general I think my shots are fine. They aren't pro level, but I'm not a pro, don't expect to be one, and don't want to carry 50 lbs of camera gear.

I do have an older Panasonic FZ150, with the same 25-600 lens but isn't F2.8 through the entire range which I would sell for a low price. I have extra batteries for it too.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some random thoughts:

I think if you're ever looking for an excuse to buy good camera equipment, the Galapagos is it. The place is a time machine back to prehistoric times...you'll never again see anything like it.

A zoom lens is always a must for nature photos...you'll be able to get closer to the animals than in most places, but it still really comes in handy.

Apart from your main camera, get a GoPro or something that can handle water. If your trip will be like mine, you'll get a chance to swim with seals/tortoises/sharks, and having an underwater camera is really beneficial.

Speaking of water, it can rain hard a lot at times, so make sure you and your gear are prepared for that. I missed out on a few great photo ops because of not being prepared for the intense rain.

On the other end of the spectrum, one other thing to remember is that the sun and heat can get really intense (remember Ecuador=equator). Make sure you're prepared with good sunscreen and appropriate clothing, and a hat.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE: Rain. If you don't buy a huge camera system then buy a box of the largest zip lock bags you can find. Cut a hole in the middle just big enough, or slightly smaller than the lens.you can then put the camera inside, and have the opening you cut tightly slide over the end of the lens. Assuming you have a lens hood you should be able to get the hood to help hold the bag in place, and protect the edge of the lens. The large bag allows you to get your hands inside to operate the camera.

I have used this method for trips and it's worked well. The bags are also pretty weightless and tape up no room. Key for those of us who just travel carry on.

The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful!
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll second a "superzoom" camera, especially if packing light is a concern. I went on an African safari that limited me in what I could bring (backpacking) and there's zero chance I'm bringing my SLR despite me being a photography enthusiast.

Brought a Canon Superzoom. Nice and light - also made me less of a target. There were Nikon Professionals on my tour and they hired a sherpa to lug their $50K gear around...no thanks.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you do want a cheap one for underwater, I got this a few years ago(earlier version-S30) and it is a really good value.
https://www.amazon.ca/Nikon-COOLPIX-...ords=nikon+s33
It's nice because it has an optical zoom, which is tough to find on a cheap underwater cam.
These are out of the camera, no processing:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Superzooms are pretty amazing. Here's an example of what the Nikon P900 can do.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I will echo what others have said. Get something with a longer optical zoom, and I have heard good things about the Panasonic Lumix models.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I've been researching things and it seems like there are three good options:
1) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
2) Nikon Coolpix P900
3) Canon Power Shot SX60HS

The Panasonic has great reviews, but the least zoom. It's also the most expensive.

An acquaintance has a Canon Power Shot 50 that she is not willing to loan me for the trip, but is willing to let me try out to see if I like it.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #14
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^I would take the one with the best auto-focus. Its very important for wildlife, no matter how good the other elements of a photo are, if its out of focus it gets deleted. Many other things can be fixed in post, not focus.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

If you have it down to a couple of cameras Snapsort can be useful to compare models.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #16
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I will echo what others have said. Get something with a longer optical zoom... snip
Ditto. Unless you're willing to drop good coin, a mirrorless camera with an out of the box lens will not give you good optical zoom. Any mid-range point 'n shoot from the major brands (e.g. Sony RX100) will do what you want it to without the hassle of having to have the right lens ($$$) or play around with the settings too much.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
2) Nikon Coolpix P900

The Panasonic has great reviews, but the least zoom. It's also the most expensive.

An acquaintance has a Canon Power Shot 50 that she is not willing to loan me for the trip, but is willing to let me try out to see if I like it.
600mm is plenty long. I'd be surprised if you need anything further for your trip or feel like you were missing out. I also think "how do you hold a camera steady at 1000mm?" Even with stabilization I've found it's somewhat of a challenge at 600mm if it isn't a bright day. The big advantage I see with the Panasonic is the apeture. F2.8 through the entire zoom length is a huge (yuuge?) feature and one I wish Panasonic had stuck with in their newer cameras and one I wish more companies got on board with. The Canon starts at 3.4 and Nikon 2.8 but both start closing things down as you zoom. It likely wouldn't be an issue in sunlight but cloudy days, low light, and for moving animals being able to shoot at a faster speed is helpful.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Since the title is somewhat generic, is it ok if I ask for anyones 'affordable' recommendation on a decent camera to take action pics at my kids hockey/ringette games? My sister has a Canon DSLR I could likely borrow that is probably 5-6 years old now. I will check on the model.

I have tried taking shots with my own cameras but havent been too impressed with the results. Low lighting, blurry shots is usually what I end up with.

My cameras are a Panasonic FZ35 and an olympus TG3.

My intent is certainly not to hijack the thread though, so if there is somewhere else I should be asking this, please let me know. Thanks.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your Panasonic should do OK, so possibly just settings? You will want to turn your ISO way up and have a quick shutter speed, around 1/1000 if you can.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
2) Nikon Coolpix P900

Have you considered the smaller versions from these companies? Those cameras are all quite large and if you're not used to carrying a camera everywhere they're a lot of camera to carry.

I have a Panasonic ZS-50 and it's great for a travel camera. Before that I had a ZS-20 which I equally love until I dropped it with the lens extended. The ZS-50 is also a 30x zoom camera with great video options. You won't get as fast as a lens as you do in some of the bigger cameras but depending on your shots this is often over stated by the pros. If water is involved there is so much light around that you don't need to worry about a slow shutter with a pocket point and shoot. They also usually have full manual control if you want to play around with that.

As a bonus they're usually relatively affordable and you'll be miles ahead of your phone camera (but miles behind an SLR or mirror less).
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote