Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #61
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/i-th...rk/c-319371836

Quote:
Chechelev was barely on the radar for the other 30 teams for most of the season. But the Flames, identifying who they believed to be a dark horse, turned to goaltending coaches Jordan Sigalet and Thomas Steer (Stockton Heat) for their thoughts and expertise.

The pair pored over hours of video and came to the conclusion that Chechelev was the real deal and worthy of the pick before others could swoop in and steal him.

"We kind of found him by mistake," Sigalet laughed. "When the USHL draft happened, he was picked by Sioux City and the head coach there is Luke Strand, who I worked with back in the day with Abbotsford in the AHL. We were trying to go through every goalie possible in this draft, since we had so much time with the COVID situation disrupting things.

"We started watching video on all the USHL draft guys and he was one of them - a late pick. I contacted Robert Neuhauser, who's one of our amateur scouts in Europe and he must have gotten us 25-30 games on Chechelev. So, Thomas and I started to watch him. His consistency, the athleticism he has, his compete level ... He gave his team a chance to win every game and you rarely saw a bad goal, let alone a bad game.

"He's a guy that we were hoping to take late and grab him as a sleeper, but we started to hear teams were poking around on him, so we thought it would be a good idea to take him in the fourth round before he slipped away to anyone else."

Sigalet and general manager Brad Treliving saw the interest in Chechelev pick up around the midway point of the season - shortly after he made his lone appearance in Russia's second-highest pro league, the VHL, with HK Ryazan.

Naturally, he got a shutout that night.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-08-2020 at 08:10 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #62
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The current Vezina winner was a 5th round pick.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #63
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The current Vezina winner was a 5th round pick.
Hell, Rinne won it in 2018 as an 8th round pick and Bobrovsky in 2017 but was never drafted.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damn Daniiiil.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:45 AM   #65
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Damn Daniiiil.
Quoted for rods face.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #66
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quite the story, like that the Flames are turning every rock to unearth some potential hidden gems...my son had more views than Chechelev on eliteprospects.com prior to him being selected.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #67
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Craig Button ranked him as the Flames 8th best prospect, ahead of Pettersen and Nikolaev
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:49 AM   #69
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping he's the next Shesterkin/Samsonov/Sorokin......
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #70
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know how his stats compare to other russian goalies who have gone through the MHL?
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #71
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am not mistaken, this season would be roughly equivalent to Wolf's D+1 Season in juniors for Chechelev. So, still very impressive, but he is overage in a junior league. That being said I really like the look of him, seems to be very in control in net, with pretty great agility. Much like Wolf we should remain with tempered expectations and know that there is still much development to be done. But I like that we're picking goalies from overseas leagues again finally.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #72
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cautiously optimistic...
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #73
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can him and Wolf merge into one another to form a supergoalie?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #74
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hell, Rinne won it in 2018 as an 8th round pick and Bobrovsky in 2017 but was never drafted.
Dominik Hasek was drafted in the 10th round and had 6 vezina trophies and 2 hart trophies

Ed Belfour undrafted 2 Vezinas + HoF
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 03:22 AM   #75
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Anyone know how his stats compare to other russian goalies who have gone through the MHL?
In their draft+1 year:

Samsonov: 5G/1.80GAA, .935
Shesterkin: 3G/2.26GAA, .934
Sorokin: 3G/1.31GAA, .949
Vasilevskiy: 27G/1.93GAA, .930
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 05:08 AM   #76
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
In their draft+1 year:

Samsonov: 5G/1.80GAA, .935
Shesterkin: 3G/2.26GAA, .934
Sorokin: 3G/1.31GAA, .949
Vasilevskiy: 27G/1.93GAA, .930
Was that in the MHL? Hockeydb doesn’t make a distinction between the levels in the KHL.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #77
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Was that in the MHL? Hockeydb doesn’t make a distinction between the levels in the KHL.
If you go to the player page on NHL.com you can actually select their MHL years. Elite prospect also details MHL seasons. Cheche seems to be well in line with these fellows, though if I am not mistaken is a year older than most were..

Edit: I was just checking more of these, it appears that Vasilevskiy never even played in the MHL, went straight from "Russia Jr's" (whatever that is; I thought that it was the MHL but NHL.com differentiates between the two) to KHL. Samsonov is a good comparison though, he has an MHL year directly after he was drafted and it's the stat line listed above. Meanwhile, Sorokin played more MHL games than are being listed here. In his D+1 year, Sorokin had a 1.98 GAA and a ~.911 save percentage in the MHL across 4 games before getting called up.

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-21-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #78
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If you go to the player page on NHL.com you can actually select their MHL years. Elite prospect also details MHL seasons. Cheche seems to be well in line with these fellows, though if I am not mistaken is a year older than most were..

Edit: I was just checking more of these, it appears that Vasilevskiy never even played in the MHL, went straight from "Russia Jr's" (whatever that is; I thought that it was the MHL but NHL.com differentiates between the two) to KHL. Samsonov is a good comparison though, he has an MHL year directly after he was drafted and it's the stat line listed above. Meanwhile, Sorokin played more MHL games than are being listed here. In his D+1 year, Sorokin had a 1.98 GAA and a ~.911 save percentage in the MHL across 4 games before getting called up.
You are awesome, thank you!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #79
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

I'll be embarrassed if I posted the wrong stats, but I got my info directly from eliteprospects. Can I ask where you got this? Not being disrespectful or anything....

EDIT: I checked eliteprospects again, and I posted the right stats according to that site. Vasilevskiy played in the MHL the year after he got drafted.

Last edited by Sandman; 10-21-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #80
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

FWIW, THN's Ryan Kennedy giving him some love as his latest Hot List:

"Daniil Chechelev, G, Russkie Vityazi (Rus.): It's hard to get off to a better start than Chechelev, who is rocking a 10-0 record and .943 save percentage in the Russian junior league. The big netminder was taken by Calgary in the fourth round of the 2020 draft and has only surrendered more than two goals in a game once this season."

(he starts off the article highlighting Valimaki)

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/whos-...rope-right-now