Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #3621
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wait. Trading is "pretty much done"? Did it ever start?
We traded hope for a 2020-21 first round playoff exit.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #3622
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Eric D said trading is pretty much done. Don’t expect much more from us, which is disappointing for those of us who were looking for some change up front.

Probably have to run with a 22 man roster. The math doesn’t work for us to be able to have a 23 man roster (3.285 with 5 players to sign). Signing 5 guys at 700k puts us over.
Sorry but what does Eric D know? Trades can happen anytime...we don't even know if and when the season will be let alone if trades are "done"
Old 10-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #3623
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I wonder if the Flames will pursue RFAs Bertuzzi or Mantha out of Detroit.

I would love another Bertuzzi on the Flames.
Bertuzzi is overrated IMO. Look at his numbers when not playing with Larkin and Mantha and it’s not great.

He’d come here to be third line LW behind Tkachuk and Gaudreau and we’d all wonder why we traded such a premium for him when the offense dried up.

Sign me up for Mantha though, he’s close to becoming a true top line star in the right situation.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-20-2020 at 11:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #3624
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think trading Rittich would be a massive mistake. He’s shown the past two years that he can be amazing but he burns out. IMO we have a fantastic tandem in Markstrom/Rittich and we can split the games 50/30. Keeps Markstrom and Rittich both fresh, and if Markstrom goes down to injury I’m not panicking because Rittich is good enough that he’ll give you a chance to win most nights.

I can see why he would want a trade if he thinks he can be a starter somewhere, but I wouldn’t be actively looking to trade him. We have one of the best tandems in the league right now. No need to mess with it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #3625
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I still think trading Rittich would be a massive mistake. He’s shown the past two years that he can be amazing but he burns out. IMO we have a fantastic tandem in Markstrom/Rittich and we can split the games 50/30. Keeps Markstrom and Rittich both fresh, and if Markstrom goes down to injury I’m not panicking because Rittich is good enough that he’ll give you a chance to win most nights.

I can see why he would want a trade if he thinks he can be a starter somewhere, but I wouldn’t be actively looking to trade him. We have one of the best tandems in the league right now. No need to mess with it.
While i agree with what you say, if we are trying to make altering moves regarding cap, then I would believe Rittich’s name would be up there if we needed space. If that happens I would hope we get a backup better than freaking Domingue.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #3626
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder about that cap situation in Tampa. They have to unload salary, and the number of teams that can take on salary must be minimal at this point.

Now Chicago announces their plans, and if Toews and Kane are available, I think the market for good players with big contacts just got a little more buyer friendly.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #3627
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

This is like Ryan for me. I don't want to trade them. But you might have to in order to make a positive move further up the lineup. With the added factor of Rittich maybe being unhappy.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #3628
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Sorry but what does Eric D know? Trades can happen anytime...we don't even know if and when the season will be let alone if trades are "done"

‘Done’might be odd word choice, but at this point it’s highly unlikely the Flames manage to make any significant trades.

1. They are clearly in win now mode. Any trade therefor would need to be an immediate upgrade, which usually means taking on more salary.
2. Flames can’t take on any more salary
3. The trade market is really cold with the lack of cap space and looming ED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #3629
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On the fan, Steinberg mentioned that Friedman had the Flames in on Josh Anderson. Obviously Anderson ended up in Montreal for Domi, but does have me wondering what the possible return would've been.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #3630
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
On the fan, Steinberg mentioned that Friedman had the Flames in on Josh Anderson. Obviously Anderson ended up in Montreal for Domi, but does have me wondering what the possible return would've been.
Yeah the Flames interest has been rumoured for a while, dating back to last season.

Recently Friedman speculated that he thinks it was a bigger deal likely including one of Columbus' goalies too.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #3631
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I guess question is whether you are happy with the team as is, headed into the season? Or do you believe changes should be made.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #3632
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bertuzzi is overrated IMO. Look at his numbers when not playing with Larkin and Mantha and it’s not great.

He’d come here to be third line LW behind Tkachuk and Gaudreau and we’d all wonder why we traded such a premium for him when the offense dried up.

Sign me up for Mantha though, he’s close to becoming a true top line star in the right situation.
Mantha, is cut from the same cloth as Perry, & Tkachuk. A feisty #### to play against, yet one you’d love on your side.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #3633
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Mantha, is cut from the same cloth as Perry, & Tkachuk. A feisty #### to play against, yet one you’d love on your side.
Has really, really strong underlying numbers too on a bad team.

If he's a guy that's available then they should be looking at that for the right price for sure.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #3634
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Who was the Flames player that Mantha had pinned on his back helpless while feeding him punches?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #3635
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Who was the Flames player that Mantha had pinned on his back helpless while feeding him punches?
I think it was Hamonic.

But that’s a nothing play compared to what was happening at the same time. Tkachuk tapping a guy on the skates. Hard to catch something as innocent as what Mantha was doing when something like that happens.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #3636
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yzerman is never gonna let Mantha go. Next.
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #3637
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I think it was Hamonic.

But that’s a nothing play compared to what was happening at the same time. Tkachuk tapping a guy on the skates. Hard to catch something as innocent as what Mantha was doing when something like that happens.
One handed tap.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #3638
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan+ Hanifin+ Pelletier +1st 2021 for Toews (40% retained)

Hanifin+Pelletier form the value for Toews, 1st 2021 for the retention, ryan for salary purposes.

Gives us this roster with ~1.5 million to sign the 6th RD. This would be an "all in" move in hopes we're cup hunting over the next two seasons.

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-21-2020 at 04:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #3639
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Ryan+ Hanifin+ Pelletier +1st 2021 for Toews (40% retained)

Hanifin+Pelletier form the value for Toews, 1st 2021 for the retention, ryan for salary purposes.

Gives us this roster with ~1.5 million to sign the 6th RD. This would be an "all in" move in hopes we're cup hunting over the next two seasons.
Thats a ridiculously bad trade. Toews is not even that great anymore
Old 10-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #3640
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Thats a ridiculously bad trade. Toews is not even that great anymore
Agree to disagree. Near point per game player over his career but more importantly over the last two seasons, and PPG player in the playoffs, while bringing similar defensive qualities and possession metrics to Backlund. He also shut down McDavid in the playoffs this year... yeah it's a lot to give up but we really don't sacrifice anything on our current roster (depending on your opinion of Hanifin vs Kylington, or how Valimaki will emerge.) This player is worth this minor pain, especially at 6.5 a year instead of 10.5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread