Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #61
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, right now I have a Sony a6000. Came with a kit lens and a zoom. The zoom is average. I think about $200-300. I bought a single focal 35mm lens which works quite well. I just got back from Alaska and I found that I rarely used the zoom lens, plus I find I hate carrying around extra lenses. So most of my pics were with the 35mm. I did the odd pic with the zoom, but really it didn't cut it. I also rarely take the thing off of automatic. I've tried different settings, but really, I don't have the interest to learn that I thought I would have when I bought the camera. I was looking at the Fuji X100F, and to me, it's a beautiful camera...but it's also $1700. Does anyone have any experience with that type of camera? I went in looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ series, but really, don't think It's the type of camera I'd grab off the shelf on my way out. I want something easy to carry, and to pack light. But also have some great quality shots. Better than an iphone...for those of you who think that's good enough.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #62
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My go to is the Panasonic Lumix ZS100. The thing is incredible, especially for the price point. I use it a lot more than my DSLR.

Looked at the Sony a6000 and was using the Sony RX100 previously.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #63
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to get my son a good camera for his birthday. I have a Canon EOS I'm pretty happy with but he's the one who taught me how to use it properly. He doesn't have a camera of his own, he just likes to dig deep on topics of interest and I can easily see this becoming a passion for him along with his drawing and music.

I'm wondering if I should go DSLR or mirrorless, and if anyone has specific suggestions sub $1000 (it's a big birthday).
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #64
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you're happy with the Canon menu's and system then stick with that. For beginner/hobbyist on a budget stick with the crop-sensor DSLR's. Mirrorless is the future but still rather spendy right now. Costs to consider: 2 decent lenses; protective UV filter on front of each; decent storage/carry bag (Kijiji/Marketplace); decent tripod (used); flash (used). Also to consider budgeting is taking an actual basics course - I thought I knew a fair bit and took a basics course which blew me away. Anyone can take a snapshot, but it does take training/skill to take a memorable photo. Lastly, the Adobe Lightroom environment (now on monthly subscription model) is fantastic for photo organization, storage, and 95% of what people want to do for/to their photos in post-production.

Edit: Don't forget a GOOD FAST storage card. Don't cheap out on this... the WRITE speed makes a massive difference to camera performance.

Last edited by RichieRich; 10-21-2020 at 12:56 PM.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #65
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a big DSLR and I'd really recommend mirrorless if you can find a good price as a start. Five years ago I would have said different, but I think you are better to get on a system with longevity for him, and I see morrorless becoming the future for most people. If he is going to be traveling lots, it would be nicer to have. Easier to take along while doing sports as well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #66
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

You should be able to find a Sony A6000 series within that price point.

If you have a bunch of lenses for the Canon already you may want to get him a Canon so that you can share.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #67
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suggest buying him a mirrorless. If he needs more than that, temporarily lend him your DSLR and borrow his mirrorless.

Sony and FujiFilm have fantastic mirrorless cameras plus extras at the $1K price point. I think depending on the model, you can get a medium to high end mirrorless body and one or two lenses for sure for $1K. Depending on the sale, you might even be able to save a few hundred to nab an extra battery, high speed card, tripod and even camera bag.

The gap between those mirrorless and DSLR output are relatively negligible. It's maybe like 95-97% on par with some full size DSLR with the DSLR just slightly edging out the mirrorless due to slightly bigger sensors and maybe slightly faster auto focus. You probably won't notice huge differences in quality unless you start zooming in past full screen on a computer. Size wise though, it's basically like half the size of the DSLR which is way more portable.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #68
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would recommend trying to go out and handle whichever camera(s) you are considering. I recently bought a Nikon Z6, and returned it within days for a D780.
Although many are saying that mirrorless is "the future", I personally don't think it's there yet. Mirrorless is lighter, yes, and better for video if that's your thing. For high quality stills I think DSLR is still the way to go. Mirrorless doesn't have the same variety of lenses yet, the battery life is abysmal, and the electronic viewfinder has a slight delay to it when compared to a traditional optical viewfinder. Some may not mind it (or even notice it much) but it drove me nuts. Five or ten years from now this may not be the case, but for now you might be better off looking at an entry-level DSLR from Canon. I'm a Nikon guy myself, but Canon build an excellent camera and if you and your son are already familiar with the platform then it's a no-brainer. You can find the Rebel T7i with a kit lens for around $900 CAD fairly easily.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #69
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One other point to make is that once you get into the pro level lenses like an f2.8 70-200 or better the weight differences between mirrorless and dslr are not that great.

It’s also easier to buy and sell canon/Nikon on kijiji because they are so popular.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #70
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

A super knowledgeable photographer friend recently gave me very similar advice that Redliner noted above about mirrorless the future "but not there yet". He actually is a big Nikon guy as well.

Bit of an older model, but I'm contemplating a Nikon D750 (D780 predecessor of course), among couple of others. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the prices of high-quality camera (my first real dive into this space) and hoping I'll use it enough to justify (I think I will, just have a lot of hobbies already lol).
Old 10-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #71
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
A super knowledgeable photographer friend recently gave me very similar advice that Redliner noted above about mirrorless the future "but not there yet". He actually is a big Nikon guy as well.

Bit of an older model, but I'm contemplating a Nikon D750 (D780 predecessor of course), among couple of others. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the prices of high-quality camera (my first real dive into this space) and hoping I'll use it enough to justify (I think I will, just have a lot of hobbies already lol).
The D750 is a fantastic camera. The video capability is a little dated, but for stills it is a great choice. I nearly got one myself, but I wanted the extra low-light capability of the BSI sensor in the D780. I also already have a decent quiver of F-mount lenses, so it was worth putting a bit more money into the body. For someone just getting into a DSLR, I would highly recommend saving a bit by getting an older or slightly lower line body and putting more money into better glass. If you have good lenses, you can still get incredible images out of an entry level body. If the glass sucks, the best body in the world won’t get a good picture.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #72
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had my Nikon D7200 for a few years, plus a selection of crop and full-sensor lens to boot. Would love the new D780 full frame too but $$$, but not as much as the leading D8x0 series nor higher Z series. That said sometimes the camera is bulky to just carry around, even with my smaller prime 35mm lens, or 28-75f2.8** (my typical go-to lens). The much lower-level D3x00 series is so incredibly portable if you want a grab-n-go. Also the D5x00 series is quite fantastic too (had that before). The reality is that so many people think they'll do photography and then they only leave it it Auto mode. May as well use your phone or a P&S. Fast forward a year or 2 and they dump these barely used camera body, or kit package, on Kijiji or Marketplace for cheap.

So be realistic... start with a newer-model lower-level series and learn to take great photos first... then if the passion and funding is there then consider upgrading the body.

The f2.8 referenced above is actually a full-frame lens, so the equivalent crop range is ~41-110mm which is perfect indoor and portraiture, plus the low light capability of the f2.8, AND costs 1/4 to 1/3 of the Nikon or Canon namebrand stuff (plus is half the size/weight).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #73
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been eyeing up the Z50. The reviews for it are great, and maybe fixed some of the issues discussed with the Z6? Reviews say the battery life is great, and don't mention a VF delay.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #74
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Im just getting into photography. Loved it in high school 20+ years ago and now it seems like it would be fun hobby to try again. We live in too fantastic of a province not to take more pictures.

I’m planning to get the Sony A7C when it comes out next week. It’s a full frame in a smaller body and seems like it ticks the boxes I’m looking for.

I’m going to get the kit lens (28-60mm) which won’t be ideal for anything but will let me figure out what I like before getting a proper lens, as I can’t decide between a 24, 35, 55 or 85 lens (!!)

Wish me luck!
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to K1LLswitch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #75
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I suggest buying him a mirrorless. If he needs more than that, temporarily lend him your DSLR and borrow his mirrorless.

Sony and FujiFilm have fantastic mirrorless cameras plus extras at the $1K price point. I think depending on the model, you can get a medium to high end mirrorless body and one or two lenses for sure for $1K. Depending on the sale, you might even be able to save a few hundred to nab an extra battery, high speed card, tripod and even camera bag.

The gap between those mirrorless and DSLR output are relatively negligible. It's maybe like 95-97% on par with some full size DSLR with the DSLR just slightly edging out the mirrorless due to slightly bigger sensors and maybe slightly faster auto focus. You probably won't notice huge differences in quality unless you start zooming in past full screen on a computer. Size wise though, it's basically like half the size of the DSLR which is way more portable.

I ended up going with a FujiFilm X-T3....yeah more than I was planning to spend but it’s his 21st and it’s a gorgeous camera. He’s very much into fine tuning everything and pretty much every control of significance has a dedicated physical dial plus some user assignable ones - like an old school film camera which it looks like. He is totally thrilled.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: