Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #2221
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I love gravel bikes. My buddy has an Open WI.DE and he has three sets of wheels for it. Road Wheels, gravel wheels and 27.5 mountain bike wheels.
Buddys got some deep pockets... Those open wides are not cheap but ride very noce.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:22 AM   #2222
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Rolled over 6000km for the year on my commute this morning. Took the winter bike in case things get sketchy for the ride home.
There goes the pride I had in clocking the 2200km this season, 6000k seems insane to me.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:11 AM   #2223
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. Not looking at any Susie Q’s. Not a lot of sock out there of course.

The Blizzard has 26” rims, with Terrene Cake Eaters (4.6”) that are also studdable, which I’ll be doing as soon as I get it.

I’d prefer the 27.5” I think, but on the other hand the norco is in Edmonton. The rocky is right here in Cochrane at Bike Bros, so local service and maintenance is a plus. It would suck if the norco had an issue and it would have to get brought to Up North, or just pay out of pocket down here.

The local bike is a little lower spec, but a little cheaper too.

Thanks again.
You could still get the norco snd get your work done locally.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #2224
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
There goes the pride I had in clocking the 2200km this season, 6000k seems insane to me.
That's still awesome, way to go!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #2225
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm going to selling my cross bike if anyone is interested. I'll be posting on FB for $400 but would do $300 for someone on CP.

Well maintained and lightly ridden (~1000km since 2011) 2011 Norco CCX2. Size 56. Everything but the pedals is stock and the specs are here: https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2011/ccx-2/

Note: this is not the bike I crash and dislocated my finger with. I only do that on my expensive bikes...

I also have an 80s road bike I planned to use as project bike but have a new project bike so I have no room in my garage for this one. No idea the brand but it's a large frame, made in Canada. Looking to get $50 for it. Everything is in working order but would be fun to build up again. I can throw the mountain bike pedals back on that it came with.

Shoot me a PM if you want to take a look.

Last edited by KTrain; 10-20-2020 at 08:26 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #2226
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I love gravel bikes. My buddy has an Open WI.DE and he has three sets of wheels for it. Road Wheels, gravel wheels and 27.5 mountain bike wheels.
This is something I've been really keen to do - build a bike that goes between road and gravel/track with a swap of 700 and 650b wheels.

The trouble is that this only really works if you have one or maybe two bikes. Otherwise the extra functionality is lost through overlap with your more specialized bikes. This is where I'm at with my current all rounder. It can already do some pretty heavy gravel, and with fat 650b tires could tackle even more, but at that point why wouldn't i just use my mountain bike. Same if I were to put narrower slicks on it: why wouldn't I then just use my roadie.

Still, there is something innately appealing about having one bike to rule them all. It's just much easier to achieve the narrower your riding range tends to be.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #2227
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

k-train that norco bike is a nice looking unit - i could not help but think you could get mroe than $400 for it.

last night i took my fat bike out for a shakedwon ride, and i wanted to test out my new cycling boots and my lighting set up. Took me about 10 k jsut to get back into the heavy feel and sluggishness of my fat bike. The lightign set up (i went for the full outbound lighting package of helemt and bar lamps) seemed solid. I am going for a spin to night with a buddy who has the gemini titan 4000 - so it will be intereting to do a side by side - we will be riding int he bow bottom flats area.

the boots (blivet) i bought from the gear hub in fernie were most comfortable.

I am 186km away from 5,000 for the year. this number surprises me as i missed out of the 50k per day of to/from work all summer; however, i seemed to have more than made up for it thanks to the three or so months of great weather
Old 10-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #2228
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
k-train that norco bike is a nice looking unit - i could not help but think you could get mroe than $400 for it.
It's a great bike. 9 years old though and has the old 3 ring chainset. Good for more options while you're riding but heavier. It would make a great commuter.

I also just want it out of the garage to make some room for yet another bike that's arriving later this week.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #2229
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Here’s my new addition to the family. New bike day is always awesome.

Went with the 27.5” wheels, and just starting to put the studs in.

I’m not much of a winter sports guy, but I expect the lure of the bike will get me out this year. I have a trainer I ride most days inside which I love, but it just doesn’t compare with being outside.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #2230
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I also just want it out of the garage to make some room for yet another bike that's arriving later this week.
please don't leave us hanging, tell us more......

ryan, the first few times you fat bike you will be meh; however, when you get a day where the snow is falling gently and there is no wind and you are riding in a place like fish creek, in the trees and the trasil is a little packed down you will be like "this is awesome" and it borders on a life changing expereince.

get the right mix of clothes (think layering and you want to be cold at the start of the ride) as that makes a huge difference
Old 10-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #2231
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you fatbike up steep slopes, like going up Nose Hill?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #2232
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

When I lived up there I would fatbike Nose Hill but generally would find the most gentle slope to get up then try to stick to trees as the wind can make some massive snow drifts up top.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #2233
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

ryan, the first few times you fat bike you will be meh; however, when you get a day where the snow is falling gently and there is no wind and you are riding in a place like fish creek, in the trees and the trasil is a little packed down you will be like "this is awesome" and it borders on a life changing expereince.

get the right mix of clothes (think layering and you want to be cold at the start of the ride) as that makes a huge difference
I’ve got some buddies that I’ll be going with, and I find a little post ride tailgating adds a lot to any ride. But the clothing part of it is a question for me...any particular suggestions?

And yes, Ktrain, what are you expecting? A different kind of bike, or a faster road bike?
Old 10-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #2234
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I assume so, since we’ll be doing a lot of the same trails out at west Bragg that we do regular mountain biking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #2235
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve got some buddies that I’ll be going with, and I find a little post ride tailgating adds a lot to any ride. But the clothing part of it is a question for me...any particular suggestions?
Not a fatbiker but generally for high output winter activities you want to be thinking about breathability. Start with a merino / moisture-wicking base layer next to the skin. Then add warmth in layers (so you can scale up / down depending on weather) but be sure to buy items that are breathable.

Merino base layer + medium-weight insulating midlayer (think Arc'teryx Atom, Patagonia NanoPuff or similar) is probably all you'll need most days. If you tend to overheat, a vest can do wonders to help keep your core warm. It might be worth it to have a hard / waterproof shell in your bag that you can pull on if the weather takes a turn or things get windy. Not sure if fat bikers buy special pants or what so will let others chime in, but if it were me I'd consider a softshell snowpant, maybe look at XC skiing gear? Lastly, for your extremities... DeFeet makes my fav winter cycling socks. And winter commuters swear by their Bar Mitts. I assume Fatbikers would do the same.

In general, you won't need as many layers as you think (as has already been mentioned plan to feel a bit cold leaving the parking lot, but you'll warm up fast because biking is high output). Consider a down layer that fits over your other layers that you can pull on when you stop (you'll get cold fast when not moving).

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #2236
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
And yes, Ktrain, what are you expecting? A different kind of bike, or a faster road bike?
It arrives tomorrow via Fedex so I'm hoping not to jinx that it's late or worse, damaged...

I found a great deal on a "bucket list" bike i've been eyeing for a few years.

In 2016 I visited my wife's family in Italy for a month and made it a point to check out the local bike shops. In Verona I visited and fell in love with the Chesini shop where they build and sell custom steel frame bikes.

It's a Chesini Gran Premio with Campagnolo Record group set.

Completely unnecessary but my wife said I couldn't pass it up (she's great).

(click to enlarge)

More images.

Spoiler!

Last edited by KTrain; 10-22-2020 at 11:39 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #2237
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ryan - here is a pretty detailed summary of my set-up. i primarily ride my fat bike around fish creek but will occasionally venture out to bragg:

helmet - is use my ski helmet on colder days, but also have an ear band and balaclava for days like yesterday that i will wear with my bike helmet
mitts - i have a nice set of 45north bar mitts, and they are really nice; however, they make my bike look bulky. i wear a pair of lobster claw biking mitten from bontranger. i also have a pair of cool weather gloves. you can add things like pocket warmers if your hands are susceptible to cold
jacket - i have a mammut shell jacket i bought from the last hunt - it is orange for visibility and it has pit zips. i bought a larger size to accommodate the ability to layer up if required
shirts - i use a base shirt of a short sleeve wicking style t-shirt, and then a long sleeve shirt overtop - i have varying weights depending on the temp. i try and find pop-over styles with a collar and a front zipper with a zipper garage as who wants that against their skin
underwear – I use Columbian omni-heat longies and then wear cycling shorts ovrtop for some padding and core warmth
pants – I have two primary pairs – a pair of hiking pants I bought at mec – they have room for a belt and some cargo pockets. I also have a pair of those fleece outdoor pants you see advertised on social media or you can find them on amazon – they are water resistant and pretty warm relative tot eh $50 I paid
socks – my feet are usually warm, so I go with a regular pair of athletic socks. I will mix in compression socks for fun, and if it is wartm and sunny, I sometimes go with knee high compression socks and ditch the long underwear
boots – I had a pair of Columbia Fairbanks boots last year. These were nice for $120. Light weight; however, snow got in the top of the boot because of the design. Over the summer I bought a pair of blivet cycling boots – so far they are nice – but only have 40kms on them. They allow for clipless pedals if I ever lose my mind and get clipless pedals for the winter. in prior years i just used snow hiker boots mixed with flat pedals

as you can see there are options out there for gear at various price points, you need to experiment and find what works for you. Most of my winter gear is not cycling specific. Which means it is a little cheaper, but it is not cycling specific.

as you find the right footwear, you my feel your feet are loose on your flat pedals. to counter this, i looked at my pedals, figured out what zize the pins were and went on to amazon/ebay and ordered a selection of various lengths of pins.

as for riding uphill at nose of bragg - if there is ice under loose snow it is a challenge; however, once the tred gets set, then it can be lose to hardpack dirt; however, if you wander off the ahrdpack you are likely going down and making a snow angel.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #2238
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Where is this magical place of no wind? In my last few years of year round commuting it feels like Calgary has gotten windier.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #2239
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Excellent info Northendzone and Flames0910. Thanks that gives me a really good starting point. I think I’ll take it for its maiden voyage out and about tomorrow, and I’m sure I’ll quickly start learning what works and what doesn’t.

Honestly, as I’m sure everyone here knows, even with summer riding it takes some experience to figure out what works at what temps. I’m sure I’ll wear too much at first, and have to be peeling things off.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #2240
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Excellent info Northendzone and Flames0910. Thanks that gives me a really good starting point. I think I’ll take it for its maiden voyage out and about tomorrow, and I’m sure I’ll quickly start learning what works and what doesn’t.

Honestly, as I’m sure everyone here knows, even with summer riding it takes some experience to figure out what works at what temps. I’m sure I’ll wear too much at first, and have to be peeling things off.
Get it set up tubless. Get orange sub zero sealeant . Stans is good for aroumd -15 -20 ish but Orange is generally a better sealeant in what ever scenario anyways. You wanna get that preassure low . I usually ride any where from 5psi to 7psi Also keep an eye out for how your brakes are feeling on the days you ride. Typicaly whennyour out around -10 to -15 shimanos start to jave issues with the mineral oils becoming thick and wooden feelimg. That can be remedied with some TRP spykes.