Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #321
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah but since game one he’s been practically invisible on the ice! Valimaki and Andersson have had way more presence.

Explain THAT.
I’d even go so far as to say he’s literally been invisible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #322
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Brodie hasn't been half as bad as some are making him out to be. Same with Stone. Both have 4 assists in 8 games and are positive in the +/-.

Hamonic can stay out as far as I'm concerned. For a defensive D man, he isn't very good at defense, has zero offense and really isn't that physical. Plus he certainly wont be challenging anyone to beat his head in anytime soon. Its becoming more obvious game after game that Valimaki and Andersson are simply better options going forward.

If I'm Treliving I'm putting Hamonics name out for possible trade regardless of the kings ransom I gave up to get him in the first place.
Yea Hamonic is one of our better dmen.

He is going to be a welcome addition once he returns.

He provides a lot of the intangibles that go unnoticed by a lot of people, and by the sounds of it you seem to be one of them.

This season and beyond Hamonic is in my ideal top 6 to go along with Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #323
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Brodie hasn't been half as bad as some are making him out to be. Same with Stone. Both have 4 assists in 8 games and are positive in the +/-.

Hamonic can stay out as far as I'm concerned. For a defensive D man, he isn't very good at defense, has zero offense and really isn't that physical. Plus he certainly wont be challenging anyone to beat his head in anytime soon. Its becoming more obvious game after game that Valimaki and Andersson are simply better options going forward.

If I'm Treliving I'm putting Hamonics name out for possible trade regardless of the kings ransom I gave up to get him in the first place.

Yes he has, and i say that as a fan of his.

He hasnt been good for a long time now, as to why that is can be debated, but the fact he has been awful can't be.

Really not sure how anyone can claim Hamonic is no good defensively....he and Hanifin have been tremendous together since game 1 of the pre season.

Niether Andersson (particularly) or Valimaki are better options at this point, that's just silliness. This team has been getting worked in their own end a LOT. The amount of great chances they have been hemmoraging is unacceptable and the sooner they get back to a more experienced lineup the better.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #324
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He hasnt been good for a long time now, as to why that is can be debated, but the fact he has been awful can't be.

Really not sure how anyone can claim Hamonic is no good defensively....he and Hanifin have been tremendous together since game 1 of the pre season.

Niether Andersson (particularly) or Valimaki are better options at this point, that's just silliness. This team has been getting worked in their own end a LOT. The amount of great chances they have been hemmoraging is unacceptable and the sooner they get back to a more experienced lineup the better.
Imo the natural pairing is Giordano/Hanifin for 27+ minutes a night and then sort the other guys out based on who is going.

Stone with maybe his best game if the season against the rangers makes this a no-win situation for one of the rookies, probably Andersson.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #325
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I’d even go so far as to say he’s literally been invisible.
Fortunately, his invisibility prevented the Flames from getting too many men penalties every time he's been out there, so there's a bit of a tradeoff.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #326
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What to make of Brodie is my concern. The last few years away from Gio was not an aberration, he's simply not a top pairing defender. Whether he plays left or right side matters little, it still Gio that lifted him.

He's not a bad defenseman, but his gaffes are of the epic kind. Put Hamonic with Gio, slide down Brodie with Andersson, Valimaki or Hanifin.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #327
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Of course it can be debated. He has been second in ice time for the last two seasons under two different head coaches. He leads the team in defensive zone face offs and has strong possession numbers this season. This season he has 4 points in 8 games and is a +3.

I don't think he has been great this season. It has certainly not been a return to vintage Brodie. But he hasn't been awful.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #328
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson was the call-up when Hamonic got hurt, it stands to reason he's the odd man out and sent back to Stockton when Hamonic returns to the lineup. If Andersson stays for a couple of games and Brodie or Stone sits, that will be very interesting.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #329
Huntsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Think Anderson is ahead of Valimaki. So When Hamonic is back. Think Valimaki goes down and Prout is 7th man. Unless they want to risk losing Prout on waivers.. Both Vali and Andy need tons of icetime and wont get it with Flames...
Old 10-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #330
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree. I think Valimaki looks like a vet back there, and could easily continue to play even once Hamonic is back.

Anderson still struggles and looks like a rookie often. "Gripping his stick too tight" type of mistakes that playing and dominating in the AHL could help him out.

Giordano-Brodi
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

That seems to be reasonable to me going forward.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #331
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsy View Post
Think Anderson is ahead of Valimaki. So When Hamonic is back. Think Valimaki goes down and Prout is 7th man. Unless they want to risk losing Prout on waivers.. Both Vali and Andy need tons of icetime and wont get it with Flames...
Valimaki is ahead of Andersson in my opinion.

There is no risk of losing Prout on waivers. IMO the only decision to make is waiving him and deciding who sits on a given night but right now that would be Stone or Brodie
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #332
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The whole handedness thing works against "Andy".
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #333
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Why would that be the case when Valimaki was on the opening night roster, while Andersson was sent down and called up for Hamonic?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #334
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Of course it can be debated. He has been second in ice time for the last two seasons under two different head coaches. He leads the team in defensive zone face offs and has strong possession numbers this season. This season he has 4 points in 8 games and is a +3.

I don't think he has been great this season. It has certainly not been a return to vintage Brodie. But he hasn't been awful.
As others mentioned, it's not like he is bad all the time. He is usually OK, but when he does screw up, it tends to be a spectacle.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #335
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I disagree. I think Valimaki looks like a vet back there, and could easily continue to play even once Hamonic is back.

Anderson still struggles and looks like a rookie often. "Gripping his stick too tight" type of mistakes that playing and dominating in the AHL could help him out.

Giordano-Brodi
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

That seems to be reasonable to me going forward.
No he doesn't. I get that everyone is super excited for Valimaki, for good reason, and I am too but he has been way more sheltered this year than Andersson.

Rasmus has played in every situation and has been counted on for tougher minutes than Valimaki, and part of that could be the handedness, but its also partly because he has shown that he can handle everything they've thrown at him very well.

I'm not sure what they do when Hamonic is back, but imo the obvious thing to do is waive Prout, I don't think anyone is worried he'd be claimed, sit Stone and play both rookies, they've earned it. and I think they should play Hamonic with Valimaki and start giving more responsibilities to Valimaki and the third pair. Because if Valimaki is as good as he looks and as everyone on here believes I think giving him more responsibility with a more stable partner would be a good thing.

but, right now I think Rasmus is the guy who the team wants out in any situation over Valimaki. That being said super exciting that we can even talk about 3 21 and under defensemen and how good they all have been.

I think the best option is to trade Stone to a team that needs a reliable third pair guy for a late pick and a Dman who can be sent down but still fill in the NHL if needed to keep the depth. (Someone like Kulak would be perfect lol)

Last edited by BigErnSalute_16; 10-24-2018 at 09:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #336
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like Andersson is playing a different game each night. That versatility could come in handy quite a bit on the backend

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Andersson

could work if we assume that we'll see a lot of Andersson mixed into those pairings throughout the night. TBH, he hasn't seemed boosted or hampered by different partners. He almost seems to mesh with the forward group better than his own d-man (which is not to say he's meshed poorly)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #337
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Curious to see if we have any roster moves today. They said Hamonic would be back next week but I'm wondering if they don't get him in there tonight. Given the recent defensive woes and the fact that he's been practicing and (according to Treliving) had no issues keeping weight on, he could probably go.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #338
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the team does not want to have Stone or one of the young guys (Valimaki/Andersson) sitting in the press box instead of playing. Which one of Brodie or Stone would be better to try and move? Which would be easier to move? Which would return the best asset?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #339
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Stone

But by roster moves I meant sending a guy like Prout down and cycling between Stone/Andersson on a game by game basis
Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #340
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
If the team does not want to have Stone or one of the young guys (Valimaki/Andersson) sitting in the press box instead of playing. Which one of Brodie or Stone would be better to try and move? Which would be easier to move? Which would return the best asset?
Brodie.

But based on play lately, I’d rather send Prout down and rotate Brodie/Stone/Andersson/Valimaki through the lineup.
Closed Thread