Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #2561
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TSN Insider trading:

Duchene
many teams are interested. up to 8 teams were talking to the Avs in recent days
Senators have been among more aggressive but they don't think they are getting him
Dreger specifically mentions - Senators, Habs, Flames, Kings, Canucks, Preds, BJs and implies they are part of the 8

Jagr
does not plan to retire
in discussion with 2-3 NHL teams
hopes to get something done by the end of camp but if it doesn't KHL a real possibility

Eichel
Sabres hoping to get extension done before season starts, but that might be optomistic
Eichel willing to wait until next off season to deal with it

RFAs
Athanisou and Anderson still unsigned RFAs and no progress on either front right now
Det offered 2 yrs $1.9 mil AAV deal to Athanisou
BJ offered to Anderson to take 1 year qualifying offer or 3 year deal at less that $1.9 million

Golden Knights
plan is to trade 1 surpluss d-man by the end of the camp or early in the season
They must be desperate...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #2562
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really want to see the Flames land Duchene. I really think him and Bennett would fit each other perfectly. This would give us such a balanced forward group.

Unfortunately I don't really think we have the assets to pull something like that off, but you never know. I love when Tre pulls of a blockbuster because they are usually tilted in our favor.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #2563
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta think if the Flames trade for Duchene Adam Fox probably is part of the deal. Don't really know who else they would be willing to trade that has enough value from the big team. Backlund?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #2564
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Gotta think if the Flames trade for Duchene Adam Fox probably is part of the deal. Don't really know who else they would be willing to trade that has enough value from the big team. Backlund?

That's just the thing. If it requires us to deal a core roster piece, it's not worth it. Duchene would be a perfect complimentary piece to add to our offense, but I don't think moving Backkund for him makes us any better. I wouldn't do Bennett either.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #2565
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
That's just the thing. If it requires us to deal a core roster piece, it's not worth it. Duchene would be a perfect complimentary piece to add to our offense, but I don't think moving Backkund for him makes us any better. I wouldn't do Bennett either.
Ya, don't really see this trade happening unless Backlund or Bennett plus prospects go the other way. Wouldn't trade Backlund for Duchene 1 for 1 either
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #2566
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

There hasn't been a single truly noteworthy trade win in Sakic's trade history as GM, as I'd argue Buffalo won the ROR trade. His inability to make moves happen, probably due to asking prices being far too high, has likely soured player relationships and resulted in assets that are rapidly deprecating in value.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #2567
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think most people are looking at Duchene as a supplement to our top 6, probably as a winger. Given the probably acquisition cost and salary I don't think that makes sense. Not with Monahan/Backlund as your centres, Jankowski/Bennett in reserve, and Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Frolik on the wing.

The only way Duchene makes sense is as our number 1 centre. The top centre for the cup winners since the lockout have been Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Getzlaf, vintage Staal, and vintage Datsyuk. The centres for the Vegas odds favorites this season are Crosby, McDavid, and Toews.

Those are all players with elite two way games (Toews, Bergeron) or consistent PPG seasons. In some cases both. I love Monahan, but he doesn't currently belong on that list. Do we legitimately have a chance to win a cup without an elite top centre?

That said, Monahan is young and may improve. He isn't all that far behind where Toews was in his development at a similar age. Also, is Duchene a player that belongs on the list? I think most here would would say no. But if the Flames don't think Monahan or Bennett is going to be an elite 1C expect them to look at guys like Duchene, Tavares, and anyone else that becomes available.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #2568
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Ya, don't really see this trade happening unless Backlund or Bennett plus prospects go the other way. Wouldn't trade Backlund for Duchene 1 for 1 either
Same things were said about the Hamilton trade and the Hamonic trade. "Oh the trade HAS to include so and so if it were to happen'
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #2569
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Same things were said about the Hamilton trade and the Hamonic trade. "Oh the trade HAS to include so and so if it were to happen'
Flames had picks in the next draft though
Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #2570
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
I think most people are looking at Duchene as a supplement to our top 6, probably as a winger. Given the probably acquisition cost and salary I don't think that makes sense. Not with Monahan/Backlund as your centres, Jankowski/Bennett in reserve, and Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Frolik on the wing.

The only way Duchene makes sense is as our number 1 centre. The top centre for the cup winners since the lockout have been Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Getzlaf, vintage Staal, and vintage Datsyuk. The centres for the Vegas odds favorites this season are Crosby, McDavid, and Toews.

Those are all players with elite two way games (Toews, Bergeron) or consistent PPG seasons. In some cases both. I love Monahan, but he doesn't currently belong on that list. Do we legitimately have a chance to win a cup without an elite top centre?

That said, Monahan is young and may improve. He isn't all that far behind where Toews was in his development at a similar age. Also, is Duchene a player that belongs on the list? I think most here would would say no. But if the Flames don't think Monahan or Bennett is going to be an elite 1C expect them to look at guys like Duchene, Tavares, and anyone else that becomes available.
First of all, I personally believe Monahan is a better all-around center than Duchene. Full stop.

Secondly, you have mentioned Duchene and Tavares in the same breath as possible #1 centers that can become available. I don't see how Duchene is anywhere in that conversation for elite centers, let alone legitimate #1 centers.

He's much better suited to the wing, but plays center in Colorado because they have horrible center depth. He's a passable 2nd line center, but it's not his strength. The team that trades for him will either have horrible center depth and use him as a 2nd line center, or they will use him as a top winger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #2571
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post

I have to disagree, second half Monahan was great last season as his back injury seemed to be lingering. Playoff Monahan was even better and I think saying Monahan "may improve" is far too pessimistic. He's 22 and has scored 107 goals in his first 4 seasons. Yes there are aspects to his game that he needs to work on but I still can't believe people underrate him, he easily could be a 40 goal center with just slight improvements.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #2572
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Duchene is a sick top line.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #2573
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Duchene is a sick top line.
At the expense of our prospect cupboard.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #2574
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene makes this team better, no doubt in my mind. But trading any more draft picks seems inconceivable at this point, and there are none of any consequence to trade in next year's draft.

Bennett is the most logical and valuable trade chip. But to me, that kind of risk is one you take when you are on the precipice of being a legitimate sure fire Stanley Cup contender. Not a risk I would take if I were Treliving at this time.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #2575
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
At the expense of our prospect cupboard.
At some point you have to go for it.

Besides, I think we definitely could use some of our Dman prospect currency to buy right now without harming the depth too much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #2576
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post

Besides, I think we definitely could use some of our Dman prospect currency to buy right now without harming the depth too much.
Just not Valimaki, he's untouchable
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #2577
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Exactly this. At some stage we have to make our Jeff Carter/Mine Richards trade, or our Marian Hossa signing.

At this stage of the game, what’s the biggest hole we have? It’s a high end scoring winger.

Our goalie position is what it is for the next 2 years, and the succession plan is clearly in place (Parsons/Gillies/Rittich).

Our defensive group is locked in for the next 3 years, barring trades.

Our centre position and “bottom 6 push” is locked in. Our wingers are well positioned except for the fact we lack one more scoring winger.

Treliving has clearly set up this mini-era (the next 2-3 years) as a “win now” window - so there’s no point in sitting back and waiting, because what are we waiting for?

If the chance to acquire Duchene is real, and requires absolutely ravaging our prospect pool - then you do it, so long as you don’t detract from the NHL roster (no, Bennett isn’t going to be part of the trade).

The time is now, and we do have some prospects that should hold some good value at the bargaining table (despite what some debbie downers around here will claim).

Push the chips in and snag Duchene, Tree.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Duchene - Bennett - Lazar
Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer
Stajan

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

That is depth. That would be incredibly hard to defend against (...and that would require Colorado to retain some salary).

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-20-2017 at 12:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #2578
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well said, we should absolutely acquire a top line player via trade without giving up any high draft picks or roster players.

Not sure why we haven't done it already, it's a great idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #2579
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Exactly this. At some stage we have to make our Jeff Carter/Mine Richards trade, or our Marian Hossa signing.

At this stage of the game, what’s the biggest hole we have? It’s a high end scoring winger.

Our goalie position is what it is for the next 2 years, and the succession plan is clearly in place (Parsons/Gillies/Rittich).

Our defensive group is locked in for the next 3 years, barring trades.

Our centre position and “bottom 6 push” is locked in. Our wingers are well positioned except for the fact we lack one more scoring winger.

Treliving has clearly set up this mini-era (the next 2-3 years) as a “win now” window - so there’s no point in sitting back and waiting, because what are we waiting for?

If the chance to acquire Duchene is real, and requires absolutely ravaging our prospect pool - then you do it, so long as you don’t detract from the NHL roster (no, Bennett isn’t going to be part of the trade).

The time is now, and we do have some prospects that should hold some good value at the bargaining table (despite what some debbie downers around here will claim).

Push the chips in and snag Duchene, Tree.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Duchene - Bennett - Lazar
Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer
Stajan

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

That is depth. That would be incredibly hard to defend against (...and that would require Colorado to retain some salary).
Nothing the matter with going for it, even though I wouldn't do at this time. But what prospects are going to entice Sakic? I doubt they would want multiple D prospects.

Remember they supposedly turned down Hamonic plus a first.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #2580
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Nothing the matter with going for it, even though I wouldn't do at this time. But what prospects are going to entice Sakic? I doubt they would want multiple D prospects.

Remember they supposedly turned down Hamonic plus a first.
Sakic played his hand asking for the moon when it was his advantage. The longer this goes, the longer the situation further drives down the offers. PR has a funny way of kicking you in the nards if you don't play your hand properly.

Sure he can risk a super toxic situation and wait until the deadline but that's terrible risk management IMO.
Closed Thread