Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Computer thru TV (HDMI)

OK so here's my setup... I have a regular monitor with DVI for my primary display, and I have my TV connected via HDMI cable from my graphics card. I have my TV as screen 2 in an extended desktop setting (not a clone). What I want to do is have things play on my TV speakers when I drag them to my TV, and have everything else play on my PC speakers on main display. Is this possible or do I have to keep adjusting the speaker properties and set my TV as default anytime I want to do this?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
OK so here's my setup... I have a regular monitor with DVI for my primary display, and I have my TV connected via HDMI cable from my graphics card. I have my TV as screen 2 in an extended desktop setting (not a clone). What I want to do is have things play on my TV speakers when I drag them to my TV, and have everything else play on my PC speakers on main display. Is this possible or do I have to keep adjusting the speaker properties and set my TV as default anytime I want to do this?
Unfortunately, you're kind of stuck.

The best way to work around this is

a) buy USB speakers and plug them in when you want to use your monitor, as they override any HDMI out,

or

b) plug your speakers into your front Headphone port, as this will also override the HDMI out, and unplug them when you want to use the TV sound

If you have a 3-plug 5.1 channel setup, you have to manually change it in Windows every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are a little bit pricey but you would love one of these.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX31175
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does your graphics card support audio out on the HDMI port? If so, for video you can use Media Player Classic and in options set the output to HDMI audio
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perhaps someone with better knowledge than I can confirm if something such as this would be possible. But could you not set up a macro that would switch your audio output source?

Edit. Maybe this would work if you have a keyboard with macro keys? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=175113
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The dragging thing you want to do is probably pretty much impossible to accomplish unless you an advanced software developer and also have a strong working knowledge of audio chipsets and drivers and can re-write them.

Some things that will work are:

1. You'll need two active sound devices. If your videocard has HDMI audio built in, that will suffice along with your built in soundcard. You'll need two separate media players (any combination of Media Player Classic, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and VLC will do). You will need to modify the settings of these players so that they are permanently set to output to a specific device instead of default or system audio. Set one to your onboard sound, set one to HDMI audio. Only use one media player for your main monitor and use one media player for your TV. You can right click on videos before you start them to choose which to start from.

2. The other thing you can do is to create a keyboard macro or a windows shortcut activated via keystroke, icon, or macro when you launch an application or when you click on it to rapidly flip the default audio device back and forth between onboard (probably Realtek or whatever) and HDMI audio. I coded one back in Windows XP when I was using multiple soundcards to produce music but have completely forgotten how to do this in the intervening 10 years.

3. The simplest and dumbest layman's thing would be to output audio to both your PC speakers and TV at once (you'll need to probably use the extra mini jack lines from your onboard audio) and just turn on/off or mute your PC or your TV selectively.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you're using at least Windows 7 Nircmd is a free little utility that expands what you can do from the command line.

Quote:
Added setdefaultsounddevice command (for Windows 7/Vista/2008 only), which allows you to set the default sound device.
I have the same setup as you, and the same frustration.

So I installed Nircmd and created a batch file. Here's a good little tutorial...

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2011/06/29/3...ws-7vista2008/

Last thing I did was create a Catalyst Control Center (Radeon cards only) profile for Extended TV, and have it run the batch file when activated. I created another profile for ComputerOnly, and have a second batch file for switching the audio back to the sound card.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote