Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Xpadder

I'm not sure if anybody has any experience with this, but I have certainly been wrong before and CP always surprises me.

In my now 6 month on and off again HTPC project I am now trying to tackle nostalgic games using the XBMC advanced launcher plugin to launch emulators.

I picked up a wireless XBOX 360 controller to use. Most of the emulators are working pretty well, but it is a very time consuming and finicky thing to get all of the settings and configurations right.

Right now I'm trying to tackle DOSbox to run Xwing and Tie fighter. To my surprise the sticks on the XBOX controller actually work quite well as a joystick replacement. But I want to map the main Keyboard controls to the controller, so that all I need to play it is the XBOX controller.

Xpadder seems to be one of the more popular suggestions. But my concern is how it works. I only want to map the controller a specific way for Xwing and tie fighter, but leave it as is for everything else. I'm trying to figure out if it is just a process that runs in the background and has to be launched, or if you need to re-map the controller everytime you want to use it for something different.

Xpadder isn't free so I would like to find out if it suits what I am trying to do before I buy it.

EDIT: On second look, it is 10 bucks. I thought it was more expensive for some reason. I guess I could stop being a cheap ass.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

XPadder works (there are free versions floating around, the guy only made it pay only after his millionth download), and you can create different profiles for different programs.

I actually downloaded it because my Hitman: Blood Money (original DVD copy) on PC wasn't controller compatible (which I still find bizarre) and it works great.

If you tweak it too, you can also turn your XBox controller into a wireless mouse to use with your HTPC using XPadder, because it has mouse emulation modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: