Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Path of Exile

I can't believe there is no thread for this game yet! Path of Exile.

www.pathofexile.com is currently in Free full game Open Beta and the game is supposed to remain free. I have not had this much fun since playing Diablo 2. The Passive Tree is super complex and amazing. The Graphics are awesome as it reminds me of a Diablo 1/2 graphics engine instead of a cartoony warcraft one haha.

Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I havn't tried the game yet, but none of the game play video's I've seen have really compelled me to try it.

1) the graphics look awful. I know it's in beta, but usually by beta the graphics have distilled into decent models at least. The colours are washed out, boring and the model's are clunky. Sure, they aren't "cartoony"... they still look bad.
2) gameplay looks ridiculously derivative and repetitive.
3) Any game with that many talents/gear choices is going to have serious balance issues going forward.

This game seems to be championed by people who take every opportunity to criticize Diablo 3. Makes it hard to find objective opinions.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmmmm...

So Blizzard should probably sue, hey?
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, I've seen a number of videos of gameplay for PoE and I really can't get past how awful the graphics are. I'm usually not one to get on a game's case for that, but it honestly looks like it was made 10 or 15 years ago.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried it maybe 6 months or so ago. The gameplay wasn't very engaging. Maybe they have changed a bunch since then but it didn't hold my attention for more than a couple of hours. Pass.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

graphics looks downright awful and the combat (strong point for D3) doesn't seem engaging or interesting at all.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

But its free
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played this for a bit a few months ago. The customization and combat is actually really deep. I had no problems with the graphics. Was a lot of fun, but work got in the way.

Maybe I'll boot it up again later.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have logged well over 35 hours into this game and to those saying not engaging, bad graphics have not even downloaded and played it. Each area is Randomly generated and Unique. The Skill system and Passive Skill system is complex and fantastic. You get to pick how you want to build your character, but whatever I will just enjoy it myself. Was trying to pass along the info, but if you think bashing a game without even playing it or playing it Months ago is an equal representation then Diablo 3 is your game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
graphics looks downright awful and the combat (strong point for D3) doesn't seem engaging or interesting at all.

Really? O.o I find graphics beautiful...especially the desert areas with all that sunlight effect. Its funny because these grahics to me look more "realistic" than the graphics lets say in Diablo 3 (they're beautiful too). These graphics have these gritty, dirty feel to it that adds to the game.
Combat reminds me of Dark Souls - hard but rewarding....especially when using the Witch, you really need to anticipate what spells you are going to need and their timing.

Last edited by Kipperriffic; 01-29-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And although I am fine with how the item graphics look, this is what their community manager had to say about it:

"We have plans to massively improve the range and quality of the in-game artwork for items. We realize that there are is underwhelming variety, and that many items, specifically uniques, don't even have unique art. This will change steadily, so stay tuned!"
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
I have logged well over 35 hours into this game and to those saying not engaging, bad graphics have not even downloaded and played it. Each area is Randomly generated and Unique. The Skill system and Passive Skill system is complex and fantastic. You get to pick how you want to build your character, but whatever I will just enjoy it myself. Was trying to pass along the info, but if you think bashing a game without even playing it or playing it Months ago is an equal representation then Diablo 3 is your game.
You ASKED us what we think. I told you what I think.

Also, bolded part kinda showcased exactly what I meant by the hype for the game being based on criticism of an unrelated game.

After my post I downloaded and gave the game a shot. Graphics are truly terrible - I don't care if it's free or not, it's 2013 not 2006. Edges are jagged, colours are washed out and very brown/grey. The animations made me cringe. Not a great aesthetic.

They use the old, tired mechanic of potion chugging. They apparently spruced it up different type of potions sure, but we all know that there is going to be a set type of potion that is the mathematical best. 98% of the variety will be useless. Potion chugging is pointless (not saying other games do it better, but I for one HATE this system).

The "deep" talent tree is laughable. It's an overly complicated method of giving your character passive bonuses to skills. There is absolutely nothing in there that gives your character any sort of definition or uniqueness. Talent trees should be about talents and skills, not about giving your character +5 to attack 100 times over. I looked at that tree and saw endless hours of boredom grinding along preset paths just trying to eek out another +1% to some random attribute.

The ONLY thing that I liked about PoE was the gemming system. The gems get leveled up and provide pluggable skills. And those gems can be combined with other gems to create combos - this part intrigued me, but not enough to overcome the failings of everything else.

I'll probably give it another go when it's out of beta, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Last edited by llama64; 02-02-2013 at 08:34 AM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
DatSOOKin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just started this game with a buddy - tons of fun! Brings me back to the good ol' days of Diablo 2.
Great game. Especially for free.
DatSOOKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I installed it yesterday just to see if it was any good - put about 3 hours in, the graphics are nothing special, but the pacing and the huge amount of skills and skill combos available are very well done. And it's free!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I can't be the only person who thought of this when seeing the thread title...

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I couldn't handle the lag when I tried it last year. Still an issue?

Also felt that the tree was needlessly complicated and actually didn't encourage as much diversity as intended.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

^very much agree with Cain, a huge ridiculous skill grid like in FF10 but there's surprisingly little customization and the general path you take is defined early and I found upgrades to be slight tweaks with incremental damage increase without much change.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I couldn't handle the lag when I tried it last year. Still an issue?

Also felt that the tree was needlessly complicated and actually didn't encourage as much diversity as intended.
I have noticed occasional lag but nothing too extreme. It doesn't persist, either - a couple enemies might "teleport" as their real positions get updated, and then maybe glitch again, but then things smooth out right after. That might happen once every hour, if that - not sure what it was like before to compare that too.

The skill is pretty freakin' huge, but after looking at it a bit, I think the idea is that you gain small increments of power each level, and work towards a limited number of major abilities that do mandate diversity. I started a Witch and I think the increased mana regen and mana pool path I've gone down plays out considerably differently than the Shadow I was playing, who had to divvy up points between Dexterity and Intelligence skills just to equip the items he found, and with whom I am working my way towards vastly increased physical damage and trapping skill.

Also, the active skills conferred by gems are a great idea - I was able to switch to raining down fireballs instead of bolts of electricity just by switching gems. I could try out archer skills just by equipping a bow and filling it with the right gems. Obviously, later on the synergy between your passives and the skills you gain via gem are going to make it harder to just switch around on a whim, but it's still considerably more flexible than a classic skill system unlocking better versions of skills as you level up.

Last edited by jammies; 01-23-2014 at 08:19 AM.
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #19
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumpity Bump. I have dabbled in PoE but not played much but I think I might try again based on the new patch that is coming out.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1931435

Anyone else still play?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #20
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been playing beta on Xbox waiting for this expansion. It should be a lot more fun playing 10 acts rather than going through 4 over again in different difficulty.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote