Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jay Feaster update (Stan Fischler interview)

Talks about his new role in Tampa and reminisces about his time in Calgary.

* WHAT WERE THE CHALLENGES YOU WERE MOST PROUD OF IN YOUR TIME IN CALGARY?

There were two challenges when I took over as Interim General Manager [in 2010] and then when I was named General Manager [from 2011-2013]. One was, as I used to put it, we were in “salary cap jail.” We were a team that was spending to the upper limit of the cap. There had been times prior to my arrival where the team had to play short because we didn’t have space to recall a player. Even during the time when I was there we spent plenty of time in LTI (Long-Term Injury). The other was because the team historically had a “let’s go for it mentally” and was always trying to be a playoff team – as a result of that a lot of top-end draft picks had been traded away and the drafting hadn’t worked out in the past and so we had to re-stock the cupboards.

In terms of what I’m most proud of it would be those two things: in the last season I was there we had adequate cap space; there’s adequate cap space for the team going forward. And by all accounts, you look at the drafting record that my group put together and we believe we’ve drafted players that are going to play either in Calgary or for other teams in the National Hockey League going forward.

http://thefischlerreport.fanvsfan.co...job-tortorella
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Ben Dover
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Seems like Feaster has a good relationship with Vinik, the new owner in Tampa. I am glad he has a job again in the league, even if it is just marketing the team and sport in Florida.

Nice little quote on Tortorella and Hartley
Quote:
When [Rangers g.m.] Glen Sather was considering hiring him, I was very honest with Slats. I was also honest with [former Canucks g.m.] Mike Gillis. I do miss working with a guy like Torts asked me what I was getting with him. That passion, it’s an exciting thing. And it’s why I also loved working with Bob Hartley. Bob has that same passion, that same drive, but he also has the political correctness gene, which they never put one in Torts.
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Dover For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Backlund11
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Another interesting Fischler piece-
http://fischlerreport.com/articles/f...or-a-break-out
Backlund11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
* DID YOU APPLY FOR ANY OTHER GM POSITIONS BEFORE ACCEPTING YOUR NEW ROLE WITH THE LIGHTNING?

I won't go into specifics, but I did take a brief look at one other opportunity before deciding that Tampa was the best fit for my family and I. The passionate online community of CalgaryPuck probably know better than anyone which position that was because they caught me catching a flight at the airport on my way to the interview.
Nice to see Feaster finally own up to this.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
3rd line Grinder, Alberta_Beef, Allos, Anduril, apiquard, Ashasx, Atodaso, Badgers Nose, BigT112, Bill Bumface, BlAcKNoVa, Bobblehead, bubbsy, Calgary Highlander, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, cDnStealth, chalms04, Cheese, Coach, Cole436, Cowboy89, Daradon, davidus_49, Demaeon, Dion, Erick Estrada, FBI, Fire in the disco, Flamboyant 14, flamesfan1297, Flamesguy_SJ, Fransken, Funkhouser, Gaskal, Goodlad, GreenHardHat, handgroen, Homeslice, Huntingwhale, IgiTang, ignite09, Inferno099, jayswin, Jbo, Joborule, JoelOtto29, kenk-la, killer_carlson, Krovikan, lambeburger, Lanny'sDaMan, LChoy, M*A*S*H 4077, Mustache, Neeper, nobesey, OldDutch, Party Elephant, Phanuthier, Pierre "Monster" McGuire, Point Blank, psyang, Puppet Guy, Reaper, Regular_John, Robo, saXon, Scoreface, Scornfire, shogged, StAlbertFlame, starseed, STeeLy, Super-Rye, Textcritic, The Fonz, the2bears, TheDebaser, theTrumanShow, Thor, tripin_billie, trublmaker, Two Fivenagame, vennegoor of hesselink, Vulcan, Yrebmi, Zarley
Old 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admire the way Feaster handled all this. No shots at the organization, just respect.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

What shots is he going to take? He was deservedly fired.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What shots is he going to take? He was deservedly fired.
Exhibit A in Brent Sutter.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What shots is he going to take?
He could have taken a lot. At Burke, the Players, Butter, Ownership... etc. etc.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Jay, I think we will look back at his time with the Flames and realize he did pretty well, at least at the draft.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
He could have taken a lot. At Burke, the Players, Butter, Ownership... etc. etc.
Not if he wants to get another job in the NHL, you don't.

I find his "cap jail" rather self serving as he traded away Regehr to get the cap space he needed to sign Brad Richards which would have put us in a worse cap jail. Anyways glad he's found another job where he's comfortable.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Perhaps, but not justifiably.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I have to admire the way Feaster handled all this. No shots at the organization, just respect.
He had no grounds to take any shots at the organization. He was replaced, rightfully so. For me, that doesn't deserve any recognition.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Loved Jay's comments on Torts

Quote:
Having said that, you never really control Torts. We were playing New Jersey in the playoffs one year and he had gotten into it with [Devils coach] John MacLean behind the bench. We lost the game and afterward I told him, “You know, the first thing the media’s going to ask you is what was going on.” [He said,] “I’m not going there.” I said, “I understand, but you also know they will goad you until they get what they want. You’ve already been told by the league that you have to stop the F-Bombs.” I told him, “You’re not going out there until you’re under control.”

We were literally nose to nose in each other’s faces. I was between he and the door. He said, “Jay, I’m telling you, I’m fine.” We go back and forth with this song and dance, so off he goes to do the media. It wasn’t three minutes later that somebody came walking by and said, “Guess what your head coach just told [NY Post reporter] Larry Brooks to do on live television?” Of course he dropped another F-bomb and he came back in and I looked at him and I said, “I thought you were fine!” He hanged his head and looked at me and said, “Did I put you in a bad spot?” If I had a dollar for every time I heard him say, “Did I put you in a bad spot?” We had a lot of fun together.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still like that he went after ROR. Obviously there were things overlooked CBA-wise, but just the fact that it was not the typical risk-averse move that most GM's make was something I admired.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

He did a great job of putting us on the path to rebuild, and I will always be grateful for the team he's put together for us so far.

We can pick apart every one his his trades and find negatives, but there is definitely zero question that the Flames haven't had this much promise and excitement surrounding it in a very very long time.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly visible hockey people should either travel to this city by car, or wear a mask or disguise when they travel
Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
He had no grounds to take any shots at the organization. He was replaced, rightfully so. For me, that doesn't deserve any recognition.
No rights??? Good grief

Restocked the prospect base that was bare from the Sutter years. Drafted some good players.

Handled the Tom Exrion debacle well getting us two second round picks that turned out to be Granlund and Wotherspoon and prospect Roman Horak.

Left the team going forward with Cap space.

He did a lot good things for the Flames.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #18
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Feaster will never know just how close he came to having his ass handled to him that day.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Not if he wants to get another job in the NHL, you don't.

I find his "cap jail" rather self serving as he traded away Regehr to get the cap space he needed to sign Brad Richards which would have put us in a worse cap jail. Anyways glad he's found another job where he's comfortable.
Yeah I don't think he can justify all this cap-jail stuff when he goes out to try and get Brad Richards / Ryan Smyth with that money, and ended up using it on Alex Tanguay when it all failed. We might have been in "cap jail" but he didn't end up doing much better using that money on Alex Tanguay / David Jones, and Denis Wideman.

As for prospects...... again meh, if he's talking about those 2nd round picks, I thought the 2nd rounders were well used.

I personally don't think he should be very proud of what he did at all.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
What position was that for?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post: