Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My vote is for fishing trip. I'd head out to one of the islands around Vancouver and rent a house on the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Go houseboating, probably the most fun you can have in 3-4 days. Neilson Beach, Enjoy!
Funny, I despised Neilson Beach. When we went all it was was 18 year olds running around with fireworks listening to rap music. It was the first "goddammit i'm old" experience of my life and I was only 25 at the time. I actually had to tell a group of kids that cutting down a 75 foot tall spruce tree for firewood was a bad idea.

Oh ya, and if you happen to have a daughter around the age of 17-19 and she wants to go houseboating ... do whatever you can to convince her not to. Make stuff up. Perhaps a story of a rouge rapist that runs around the shushwap. Anything.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My vote is for fishing trip. I'd head out to one of the islands around Vancouver and rent a house on the ocean.

Funny, I despised Neilson Beach. When we went all it was was 18 year olds running around with fireworks listening to rap music. It was the first "goddammit i'm old" experience of my life and I was only 25 at the time. I actually had to tell a group of kids that cutting down a 75 foot tall spruce tree for firewood was a bad idea.

Oh ya, and if you happen to have a daughter around the age of 17-19 and she wants to go houseboating ... do whatever you can to convince her not to. Make stuff up. Perhaps a story of a rouge rapist that runs around the shushwap. Anything.
WHAT THE HELL DUDE!
I'm going houseboating in July (I think we'll be on or near Nielsen Beach) so quit ruining it for the rest of us!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #23
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I enjoy the Neilsen partying, but i have to agree about the environmental vandalism, that pisses me off.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Invermere area has all that you need.

There are town homes you can rent, 5 Excellent golf courses within 20 minutes.

Here is a Link for Quad tours in the mountains:
http://www.tobycreekadventures.com/home.html

Also if you wanted to there is a place that you can rent boats/ Seadoo's for the day or weekend.

http://www.petesmarina.ca/

I can't recommend places to stay, but there are some campgrounds in the area, just make sure you don't stay at one of the Indian bands campgrounds. I believe there is a no alcohol policy at all of them.

http://www.staycanada.ca/british_columbia/invermere/
Thanks.

Have you ever used Toby Creek Adventures? I thought about using them for snowmobile guiding at one time, but in my discussions with them, they came across as very corporate and regimented. My ideal guide would be a 'friend' who is a riding expert, can keep us safe, and knows the 'hidden' areas to explore.

Of the courses in that area, which ones would you recommend? None of us are great golfers, but do enjoy it. We are looking for a course that is different than the typical ones around Calgary and really use the mountain setting to their advantage. Keeping the green/cart fees under $100 would be nice. I was hoping that BC was cheaper to golf in than Calgary, but it appears that isnt the case.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

it's a thread like this that reminds me of my favourite tv commercial jingle of all time

*doesn't have to be Molson, just beer beer beer

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

Speaking of Bubbas, I decided to use an old one to my keep penny collection in. So far I've put $46 in, but I ran out of pennies.
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #27
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong View Post
My brother was just telling me about some great deals they have at Kokanee Springs golf club right now.

He said something like 2 nights accomodation, 2 rounds of golf for $300. Might want to look into it further. A guys golf trip through the Kimberley, Inveremere, Radium area would be awesome.

Have fun!
I have been looking around at the deals.... yes, that one is there. But, they also have a 2 night / 4 round package for $350, which I would say is a better deal.

The problem is, I have no idea which courses out there are nice. We are definately looking for a mountain / wilderness setting. We can golf on a city course here any time.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #28
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
my place?
LOL, so funny. Thanked by evman150 too!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #29
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear camping can lead to all sorts of things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Any other great ideas? What would everyone's ideal getaway be within 4-8 hours driving distance of Calgary?
Seriously speaking, if you're willing to invest 4-8 hours driving, that's plenty of time to get a flight from here to Vegas. A quick look from Expedia shows that AC and WJ both have direct flights to that'll be in the 2.5 hour range.

The bigger factor is money, expedia is showing $600 for those flights. However, I know a co-worker that just got a screaming deal last week that was flight and hotel for that amount too.

A golf trip to BC would certainly be great, but if you guys want something far more memorable, a Vegas trip wins hands down. At your age bracket, sounds like many guys might be off starting families soon if they haven't already - make time count!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #30
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, we decided to do a Stay N' Play package at Panorama with included 1 round at Grey Wolf and one round at Eagle Ranch. They look to be very nice courses. With the accomodations, it was reasonably priced. We go this weekend!

Thanks for all the tips in here. There are enough tips to plan another trip later in the summer!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I thought I'd mention - someone from the office mentioned that Greywolf had a bad winter and is brown in a lot of places? Not sure if anyone else here can verify that, but you might want to give them a call and suss out how bad it is (if it is at all, this came from a non golfer).
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #32
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Well, we decided to do a Stay N' Play package at Panorama with included 1 round at Grey Wolf and one round at Eagle Ranch. They look to be very nice courses. With the accomodations, it was reasonably priced. We go this weekend!

Thanks for all the tips in here. There are enough tips to plan another trip later in the summer!
Eagle Ranch won't disappoint! I play there almost every weekend in the summer. It's by far the best golf course I have ever played - the service is unparalleled, the clubhouse has amazing food, and the course is breathtaking.
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #33
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
It does have some amazing scenery, the hole where you can see the highway are kinda bleh, to bad they couldn't continue along the ridge more and scrap those. Seemed to be a lot of turkeys (or at least turkey like birds) around.
I don't mind those holes, #15 is one of my favourites on the course. I agree though, it would be a lot nicer if they would have taken those and put them more along the ridge with more lake views.
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #34
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love Panorama - for the last 3-4 years we go and play Eagle Ranch and Greywolf once a summer. Greywolf can definitely be a little rough at the start of the season, but the greenfees are usually cheaper, and the scenery is so beautiful it doesn't really matter if the green is a little lumpy (to me, anyways).

We also went on a quading tour - I think through Toby Creek adventures? It was expensive but really fun. We went to an old mine site at the top of the mountain and back. The best part was that nobody else had registered to go quading that day so it was just the two of us and the guide!!

We did white-water rafting up in Panorama too. I was a big wimp about it at first but it turned out to be really fun and not very scary at all. The rapids are better down at Kickinghorse but I was too scared to try it. I guess that's why you shouldn't take your wives on these kinds of trips.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #35
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

I had a great time the few times I went houseboating, but I do agree that there are some idiots out there. Maybe its just cause I'm getting old as well...

I remember envisioning the trip being filled with tons of hot 18-25 yr old bikini-clad babes looking for a good time.

REALITY CHECK!!! Houseboating is a sausage fest.

Nevertheless, I would suggest it as a good alternative. You + buddies + boat/seadoo + wakeboarding/water skiiing + junk food + beer = good weekend. You can make it what you want it to be and can interact with others as often or as little as you wish.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #36
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
We also went on a quading tour - I think through Toby Creek adventures? It was expensive but really fun. We went to an old mine site at the top of the mountain and back. The best part was that nobody else had registered to go quading that day so it was just the two of us and the guide!!
That is definately Toby Creek, based on what their website lists.

How was the guide? Did they let you rip it up on the quad, or did you have to follow in line, like a horse trail ride? Was the riding on a gravel trail, or dirt trail, or did you get to go 'off-road'?

I am trying to decide if its worth the $200+, when I am going to compare it to snowmobiling which I absolutely love.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #37
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
It does have some amazing scenery, the hole where you can see the highway are kinda bleh, to bad they couldn't continue along the ridge more and scrap those. Seemed to be a lot of turkeys (or at least turkey like birds) around.
I hate that hole!!!

More for the fact that it is probably the hardest par 4 I have ever played in my life 411 yards and straight into the wind the whole way.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #38
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is definately Toby Creek, based on what their website lists.

How was the guide? Did they let you rip it up on the quad, or did you have to follow in line, like a horse trail ride? Was the riding on a gravel trail, or dirt trail, or did you get to go 'off-road'?

I am trying to decide if its worth the $200+, when I am going to compare it to snowmobiling which I absolutely love.
Well, it might depend on what tour you do (not sure if there is more than one?) but ours was basically all of the above - horse trail ride style, gravel trail, dirt trail, off-road, etc. I think it was at least 4-5 hours in all (we got lunch and snacks too), so there was quite a bit of variety. I'm imagining that if you are used to snowmobiling without a guide, this would be a bit more structured for sure (but I've never snowmobiled before so just my take on it). It's more restrictive up near the mine area just because you get really high up, the path is narrow, and you definitely would not want to be falling off the side of the mountain. But down in the valley area we went to see some historic old cabins and we got to have a bit more fun driving the quads down there through some more interesting terrain.

The views were really incredible, and there is quite a good chance of seeing some wildlife if that's what you're into - we were on the lookout for bears, wolves, etc. We saw some fresh poop but that was about it besides a few deer and hawks.

Edit: Oh, and the guide was really good. Definitely encouraged me to be a bit braver and try some stuff since I was a beginner, so I'm sure with a bunch of adventurous guys you could probably do more than what we did!

Tags
adventure , fun , not edmonton