Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fiber Optics question

Not sure if anyone on CP has experience with Fiber Optics but here is my question.

I'm currently working on a very substantial project where I essentially have to work backwards with Fiber Optics. Essentially the FO is in the ground but the communication hardware I am using uses RF (radio Frequency 450-470 range). I have no option of just changing everything over as this product does not work with FO. Is there a product out there that decodes/encodes or transfers RF to FO?

thanks

RTTR
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I think fiber optics work by transmitting digital information in the format of light bursts. So in order to convert from RF to digital you'd need an analog to digital conversion and then something that took that digital information from the AtoD and then transmitted it over fiber.

If it's the other way then the same principle applies. Digital to analog conversion then transmit via RF.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I think fiber optics work by transmitting digital information in the format of light bursts. So in order to convert from RF to digital you'd need an analog to digital conversion and then something that took that digital information from the AtoD and then transmitted it over fiber.

If it's the other way then the same principle applies. Digital to analog conversion then transmit via RF.
is this confirmed in actual working conditions or based on theory alone?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
is this confirmed in actual working conditions or based on theory alone?
Well I'm pretty sure that fiber optics are used to transfer digital information using light. So yes, that's all true.

We use this type of thing in our aircraft radar systems. We send out radar pulses, receive them, and record the raw RF data. To do that we have to convert from analog (RF) to digital (data) and then store it to a massive disk group. To do that you need an analog to digital converter. And a data recorder that controls the writing of that information.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you looking for something that will receive the signal off air? or just off of a coax cable? There are things out there that will do both. I am still digging for names and such. It has been awhile since I have done transmission or microwave stuff...

How far of a distance do you need to cover on the fibre?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Are you looking for something that will receive the signal off air? or just off of a coax cable? There are things out there that will do both. I am still digging for names and such. It has been awhile since I have done transmission or microwave stuff...

How far of a distance do you need to cover on the fibre?
Perhaps if I explain what I'm doing, I have some control system equipment operating from a central computer, essentailly the FO will act like a normal extra long run of RG8 cable out to my antenna. It will both send and receive two-way communication. The distance on the FO would probably be about a kilometer. Again, the FO is in place already and i'm really just trying to make use with what Is already there IE. existing radio tower and FO heading from the building to the radio tower
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps if I explain what I'm doing, I have some control system equipment operating from a central computer, essentailly the FO will act like a normal extra long run of RG8 cable out to my antenna. It will both send and receive two-way communication. The distance on the FO would probably be about a kilometer. Again, the FO is in place already and i'm really just trying to make use with what Is already there IE. existing radio tower and FO heading from the building to the radio tower
Yeah, I'd use a box that had a DtoA and AtoD, ideally in conjunction with your transceiver.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure if this will help but it sounds right. Never posted a link here before so bare with me.....

http://www.powerwave.com/688.asp
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if this will help but it sounds right. Never posted a link here before so bare with me.....

http://www.powerwave.com/688.asp
Holy crap i'm in over my head.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Holy crap i'm in over my head.
Sorry man. I assume you are looking for something a little cheaper or more on the consumer side? There must be a coax to fiber converter out there somewhere. They do make them for audio, I have one hanging off the back of my stereo, so I don't see why they wouldn't have something for what you need.

I have an old buddy I worked with years ago in radio, he must know of something. I will try and get a hold of him...
Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get media converters that will take your fiber and convert to RJ45 and stick your RJ45 into a switch. I'd assume you should be able to get a receiver/converter for your RF to RJ45 also.
check here
http://www.blackbox.com
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry man. I assume you are looking for something a little cheaper or more on the consumer side? There must be a coax to fiber converter out there somewhere. They do make them for audio, I have one hanging off the back of my stereo, so I don't see why they wouldn't have something for what you need.

I have an old buddy I worked with years ago in radio, he must know of something. I will try and get a hold of him...
not necessarily as this is a city wide project and the potential of 6 or 7 figure costs. If it gets the job done that I'm looking for and with no problem then cost really isn't a huge factor. Especially when you take into account the possibilty of using already existing infrastructure