Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2022, 05:33 PM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Brinks Home Security Door to Door

Anybody had Brinks home security come by trying to sell a home security system?

Probably the pushiest most offensive sales pitch I've ever witnessed. That went on for freaking ever. Unfortunately I'm not one of the blunt ones who tell them off after 30 seconds. I'll let them do their spiel and then tell them in no uncertain terms that I'm not interested. Then weed my way through their last ditch efforts to make a sale.

This thing was like a time share presentation with some uncomfortably sensitive questions about the house and some classic pressure sales tactics to boot.

My main question is if anybody has seen these guys making their way around and are they legit? The questions were a bit too specific about our house and I'd prefer if some things weren't disclosed.

I'm pretty sure it was just a really pushy sales pitch that was basically ambulance chasing a news making home invasion in the area, but I'm slightly concerned that it wasn't necessarily legit and they were casing the joint.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they stop by for a chat.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Brinks has actually posted a kind of FAQ article on their website about Door to Door salesmen

https://brinkshome.com/smartcenter/f...door-Impostors

US article about scammers

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...6-4c976de9960b

Quote:
e says a woman recently contacted the BBB to report a scammer, who told her that he worked for Brink's Home Security company. The man showed up without an appointment, at the door, and said he wanted to access the security system. She called the company to verify, and turns out, Brink's Home Security doesn't send employees door-to-door, nor do they show up unannounced.

I don't anyone that does door to door do their sales pitch, it feels like 90% of the time its either not worth it or a scam. If I do open the door I tell them I want to see their credentials, take a picture of it and tell them I'm phoning their home office first to verify they are who they say they are. I've had a couple of instance where they mumble that they don't want to do that and I tell them to F off. You have a right to access that kind of verification.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Anybody had Brinks home security come by trying to sell a home security system?

Probably the pushiest most offensive sales pitch I've ever witnessed. That went on for freaking ever. Unfortunately I'm not one of the blunt ones who tell them off after 30 seconds. I'll let them do their spiel and then tell them in no uncertain terms that I'm not interested. Then weed my way through their last ditch efforts to make a sale.

This thing was like a time share presentation with some uncomfortably sensitive questions about the house and some classic pressure sales tactics to boot.

My main question is if anybody has seen these guys making their way around and are they legit? The questions were a bit too specific about our house and I'd prefer if some things weren't disclosed.

I'm pretty sure it was just a really pushy sales pitch that was basically ambulance chasing a news making home invasion in the area, but I'm slightly concerned that it wasn't necessarily legit and they were casing the joint.
You're way more patient than I am.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is exactly why I got a smart doorbell. If the video shows a salesperson or someone I dont recognize I dont answer it and I dont even care if they realize I am home at the time
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #6
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a Vivint guy getting really pushy a couple of years ago. Right out of his script he gave me the "valuing the safety of your family line". I told him I value and respect them so much that I'm not leaving their safety in the hands of a summer student doing door to door sales. I smiled at him and he turned around and left, I enjoy when sales people come to my door.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #7
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I always tell a door to door security salesman that I already have one, thanks for stopping by then close the door on them essentially. I've noticed they start asking questions that make me uneasy, like what security do I currently have, what type of windows, etc.

For all I know, they are scoping my place and could use that info for a future break-in. So all they need to know is I already have a system (may not actually) and that's all they get out of me.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Door to door sales are like paper flyers, I just dont know why they exist anymore. I only know 2 people who read those flyers that come weekly and they are 85+
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, I'm by no means an assertive guy by nature either, but what I've found that works well for me now is that I use the following with all sales pitches I have no interest in.

"Sorry, before you continue, I just wanted to let you know I still won't sign at the end because I'm satisfied with my current service and have no plans to change. I'd just like end it here rather than waste both our times. Thanks."

They sometimes hit me back with "oh, but don't you want to save money?". And I usually just go "no, I'm good." Have always had the sales pitch end after that.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #10
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Selling FUD, because it works.
Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, I'm by no means an assertive guy by nature either, but what I've found that works well for me now is that I use the following with all sales pitches I have no interest in.

"Sorry, before you continue, I just wanted to let you know I still won't sign at the end because I'm satisfied with my current service and have no plans to change. I'd just like end it here rather than waste both our times. Thanks."

They sometimes hit me back with "oh, but don't you want to save money?". And I usually just go "no, I'm good." Have always had the sales pitch end after that.
I find saying "I'm not interested" and shutting the door tends to end the conversation immediately.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never understood folks who just stand there and let these people pitch them. I've had multiple hawkers show up on my doorstep and start in with their pitch.

The second they do, I do politely say "I'm not interested" and close the door. If they want to stand on my doorstep and pitch to the door, that's on them, but I'm not wasting my time on them. I can't imagine why someone would.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I say no pretty damn quick but I can't hate these guys, sales is a tough gig and doing it door to door is extra rough. Looking forward to the day when it's a thing of the past.

Religious dumdums though, I'll tear a strip off them and tell them to f off.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:35 PM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I say no pretty damn quick but I can't hate these guys, sales is a tough gig and doing it door to door is extra rough. Looking forward to the day when it's a thing of the past.

Back in our university party house, they came to the door one Sunday morning, after a particularly raucous night of merry-making. A couple of us were playing Mario Kart, the windows covered, party detritus scattered hither and yon, pizza boxes, beer containers aplenty, and a few sad souls still half asleep in various corners of the room.

"Would you like an opportunity to speak with God?" the one said, timidly, through the partially opened door which revealed only a portion of the chaotic domicile...his face turning from a gleeful smile to one of restrained horror.

Without missing a beat, my roommate retorts "No thanks, man, I spoke to him last night. We're cool." and swung the door shut on the shocked young soul.

I like to think that was the moment they re-considered their calling.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #15
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

The worst for sure. Had a group of 3 show up and ask "what if we told you God was a woman?".

OK, great. For the record I don't care one way or the other but why exactly do YOU care what I think? Do you get God points for changing my mind or something?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
The worst for sure. Had a group of 3 show up and ask "what if we told you God was a woman?".

OK, great. For the record I don't care one way or the other but why exactly do YOU care what I think? Do you get God points for changing my mind or something?
Technically, ya, they actually beleive that. The more they convert, the better chance of heaven, or somesuch nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #17
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It can often be kids and college student between semesters that pick up those door to door sales jobs, and by the sounds of it they're pretty demanding on them. So yeah, if they look like students I think it's always good to turn it down politely. They're just trying their best to do the gig and carry out marching orders. You can still be firm with a no, but smile and tell them to enjoy their day and good luck
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #18
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, haha, ok. I honestly didn't know that.

I wonder how they keep track or verify a conversion? Don't want someone padding their stats.

Perhaps a Holy text of sorts?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #19
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always say "No, thank you. If the product or service was so great to begin with then you wouldn't have had to corner me at home to sell me on it."
Old 01-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Oh, haha, ok. I honestly didn't know that.

I wonder how they keep track or verify a conversion? Don't want someone padding their stats.

Perhaps a Holy text of sorts?
Dude, that's not how God works. It knows everything. You don't need to record it on a blockchain for God.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: