Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #41
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yeah... expected but was still hoping he'd fall...

Raptors will pursue Jarrett Allen presumably

don't overthink this Raptors...don't need to be 'the smartest guys in the room' here...
You think Allen? I don’t think they reach. You can’t trade down but you can trade after the fact. We’ll only find out in about five picks if they trade down. But I’d have to think they’d take the consensus Suggs, and we’ll see a swap later if anything.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #42
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Colour me a tad disappointed.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #43
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG...

man...not happy with Barnes... guy cannot shoot the ball

Allen was a UFA pursuit

When Raptors were at 7, I was hoping for Barnes...but at 4?! nahhhh... not a fan

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 07-29-2021 at 06:29 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #44
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Wow, huge risk. Suggs/Barnes will be compared for many years.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #45
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really hope there’s more to this. Not the BPA
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #46
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Yeah, I don’t get this
Old 07-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #47
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

How do you go with Barnes????
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #48
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely trust in Masai a lot. The guy is a genius. I don’t get it but perhaps there’s a deal in the hopper. I don’t know why they didn’t do a trade down one or two spots to get the guy they wanted.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #49
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i mean who are these guys that the Raptors 'taught' to shoot?

Pascal? O.G.?

Ben Simmons 2.0

Orlando makes out like bandits imo
Old 07-29-2021, 06:37 PM   #50
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally wasn’t convinced at Suggs was that great. Sometimes there’s a recency bias and Suggs knocked it out of the park with his final four play. I still think he was the best available at that spot, but the guys above know what they’re doing and have shown to know better so I’ll adjust. Just not sure they couldn’t have acquired another asset and still get their guy.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #51
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't deny I was really rooting for Suggs, but also I'm not going to pretend I'm smarter than the Raptors front office. If they think Barnes is better than Suggs, then they think Barnes is going to be exceptional.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #52
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I personally wasn’t convinced at Suggs was that great. Sometimes there’s a recency bias and Suggs knocked it out of the park with his final four play. I still think he was the best available at that spot, but the guys above know what they’re doing and have shown to know better so I’ll adjust. Just not sure they couldn’t have acquired another asset and still get their guy.
Suggs is a high floor, low ceiling guy and filled a potential hole with Lowry leaving...

not sure what Barnes does? Switchable on D? Not sure if he's as good a passer as people say he is... Not a shooter, that's for sure.

could be worse like Oklahoma fans though... Giddy? Guy can pass but also not a very good shooter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #53
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

They must think they can teach Barnes to shoot, and that makes his potential higher then Suggs.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #54
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Suggs is a high floor, low ceiling guy and filled a potential hole with Lowry leaving...

not sure what Barnes does? Switchable on D? Not sure if he's as good a passer as people say he is... Not a shooter, that's for sure.
Yeah. I totally didn’t think they’d go with a guy they’d have to develop more. They must really really think highly of him. I’m patiently waiting to see their plan. Basketball is really interesting because after a year you basically know who did well in the draft and who didn’t. Basketball drafting always has its steals so you never know. I don’t know how to read what that means for what they do next with their roster. Will they re sign Lowry? Will they try and trade for a big? Who knows?
Old 07-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #55
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a side note, with GS getting Kuminga, I wouldn’t mind if that deal with Siakam was on the table. He seems like a project but his athleticism is very intriguing.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #56
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah. I totally didn’t think they’d go with a guy they’d have to develop more. They must really really think highly of him. I’m patiently waiting to see their plan. Basketball is really interesting because after a year you basically know who did well in the draft and who didn’t. Basketball drafting always has its steals so you never know. I don’t know how to read what that means for what they do next with their roster. Will they re sign Lowry? Will they try and trade for a big? Who knows?
well, at this point, all you can do is hope they are right.

the Raptor took fliers on long, toolsy guys in the past, but that's because they often drafted late, where it made sense to swing for the fences...picking top 4, you want a guy that's a known quantity. Barnes in not that.

thing about Barnes is he's not even that athletic; he's not a guy that can jump out of the gym either...

Quote:
Good quickness and lateral speed, but not an incredible athlete in terms of explosiveness. Doesn’t play with crazy vertical pop, which hinders him a bit as a potential rim protector playing down the lineup as a small-ball five. Also, not quite as flexible as you’d like to see from a player like this. Struggles to play with any sort of bend. Best thing for him would be to work with a trainer who really works on muscular structures and flexibility.

The big problem for his game right now is that he’s not a skilled scoring threat. In the half court, he’s a no-level scorer as opposed to a three-level scorer. Doesn’t really create separation unless he has an advantage and can just extend past. Doesn’t have a ton of craft as a handler and doesn’t have a crazy first step. It’s tough for him to consistently put pressure on the rim because of it. That lack of crazy vertical pop ends up hindering him as a finisher. More of a long jumper than a high jumper. Because of that, often takes off a bit too far away from the rim and puts himself into this weird floater territory. Made just seven of his 23 floater attempts, per Synergy, and doesn’t seem to have particularly good touch on those shots.
My man Franz Wagner goes at #8... University of Michigan athlete again.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:06 PM   #57
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to chime in here again but I found this from sports illustrated posted a few hours ago. I guess Suggs probably had it in the bag and got overconfident?
Quote:
Sources say Suggs had an underwhelming workout in Toronto last week, a piece of information that has circulated around the league and contributed to some of the external second-guessing around the selection. But Suggs is still viewed by most as the best prospect on the board at No. 4, and an excellent fit in Toronto.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #58
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to chime in here again but I found this from sports illustrated posted a few hours ago. I guess Suggs probably had it in the bag and got overconfident?
Its possible... not having a good workout/interview is definitely not something you want to do...

Honestly, at this point, who knows...

the only game I watched of his last year was Michigan/FSU in the Elite Eight, and Franz Wagner absolutely destroyed Barnes.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #59
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Josh Primo goes to San Antonio at #12 OA!

Canadian BBall is doing really well!
Old 07-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #60
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Gotta say that's pretty disappointing. Suggs seemed like a pretty awesome opportunity.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote