Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #1281
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Cavani to Barca. Logjam, yet with Martial leaving perhaps he'd get more time. Was hoping to see Ronaldo and Cavani up top, in a 4222, at least once. Oh well.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #1282
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Tierney told Klopp that he didn't give the penalty because Jota stopped on purpose so he would be barged over.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #1283
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The clubs are set to meet tomorrow to discuss postponing the next round of fixtures. Hopefully that doesn’t happen!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #1284
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bahahaha, I love Conte. His quote from his presser was hilarious. After Klopp whines and moans about how hard done by they were, Conte threw out this gem: "I haven't seen the Robertson situation or Harry Kane situation or possible penalties. My staff told me the second Liverpool goal was a clear handball. I'm not sure if Jurgen commented on this but my staff said it's incredible this goal was given."

Klopp is the biggest crybaby in the league at this point. It’s really not close, and frankly this draw feels like a win based solely on his whinging.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #1285
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Bahahaha, I love Conte. His quote from his presser was hilarious. After Klopp whines and moans about how hard done by they were, Conte threw out this gem: "I haven't seen the Robertson situation or Harry Kane situation or possible penalties. My staff told me the second Liverpool goal was a clear handball. I'm not sure if Jurgen commented on this but my staff said it's incredible this goal was given."

Klopp is the biggest crybaby in the league at this point. It’s really not close, and frankly this draw feels like a win based solely on his whinging.
He has a lot of pressure on him, some teams are expected to try and win, they cant all be like Spurs who are just happy to be involved.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #1286
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was a Spurs fan I'd probably not say anything and just be happy that the other player got his foot up at the last moment so Small Game Kane didn't snap someone's leg in half.

But that's just me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #1287
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The clubs are set to meet tomorrow to discuss postponing the next round of fixtures. Hopefully that doesn’t happen!
Most likely the round after that ornstein is saying

So the games on the 28th-30th

Keep the match rounds before and after that, which are on the weekend, and take a circuit break midweek
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #1288
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something not getting enough mention is how 'clear favorites' Chelsea are bottling it so quickly
Old 12-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #1289
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Something not getting enough mention is how 'clear favorites' Chelsea are bottling it so quickly
You're right. I didn't see this collapse coming.

One thing of interest is that before this weekend, Manchester City were -193 to win the title, just a little cheaper than 2/1 on. After their win and Liverpool dropping two points at Spurs, they're now -333, or slightly more expensive than 3/1 on.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:14 AM   #1290
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He has a lot of pressure on him, some teams are expected to try and win, they cant all be like Spurs who are just happy to be involved.
The thing is, Tierney wasn't even that bad. I look at the three potential penalties, and really those are exactly what need to be ignored to make players more honest. (I'm talking about Jota/Winks/Dele here). They all feel that contact, or brace for it, and drop. If you call one, you basically call all three and I'd rather they make less of those calls.

Kane was a yellow. Honestly, when it happened, it didn't seem that egregious, and it wasn't some brazen two-footed scissor or anything crazy. And the argument of "well if Robertson doesn't jump, he breaks his leg" is all fine, except he does jump. So now we want refs extrapolating what might have happened? I don't.

And the other argument of "I've seen reds given for less" is just as bad. How did we feel about those reds? Because a lot of times these reds are rescinded after the fact because they were poor calls in the first place.

I'm not suggesting that Tierney nailed everything yesterday, but there have been far more egregious instances of officiating. I guess I just don't think that Klopps tirade was justified though. I'm sure that other managers would be penalized in some manner for that, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for action on that front.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #1291
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I struggle to see the argument saying these calls could somehow be correct. Kane leaps into the tackle and puts spikes into his shin. Jota is setting his feet to shoot and get crushed.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #1292
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

To add to that, I’m not saying Liverpool alone got the bad calls and we would have won by six goals. The reffing sucked, especially the VAR role, it impacted an important game, and nobody should be happy with that.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #1293
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I struggle to see the argument saying these calls could somehow be correct. Kane leaps into the tackle and puts spikes into his shin. Jota is setting his feet to shoot and get crushed.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Well to me, that's literally Kane's toe hitting the shin. It's really not that egregious of a foul?

And like I say about Jota, that's the same as the foul on Alli for sure. TAA comes through and pushes him in the box. I just think that those calls are something that we need less of, not more, in general.

And of course Liverpool shouldn't have won by anything. They were lucky to escape with the draw. I mean I do debate whether that handball goal should've stood; it was clear and obvious. But seriously, mistakes happen and that's just part of the game.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #1294
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is, Tierney wasn't even that bad.
Stop embarrassing yourself further.

He and Var missed a clear red and a clear penalty. One of the worst ref performances in recent memory.

Quote:
I struggle to see the argument saying these calls could somehow be correct.
Because, to a lucid mind there is no argument. This guy is unable to see things objectively.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #1295
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To add to that, I’m not saying Liverpool alone got the bad calls and we would have won by six goals. The reffing sucked, especially the VAR role, it impacted an important game, and nobody should be happy with that.
I dono how he got this game, they don't hide the fact that they give the bigger games the supposed better referees, and he's consistently inconsistent
Old 12-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #1296
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's politics, there was an athletic article a few months back talking to Clattenburg, and it sounds like the referees association is akin to high school cliques.

Tierney must be in good with the Mike Riley who assigns the game still I think
Old 12-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #1297
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth mentioning that the Var referee was Chris Kavanagh yesterday whose wiki profile is very insightful!

Feeling Wiki might be doing a bit of editing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kavanagh_(referee)

NSFW to retain original entry.

NSFW!

Old 12-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #1298
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The clubs voted against the circuit break over the holidays, so I guess it's business as usual. Or at least as close as practical!
Old 12-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #1299
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Spurs had to forfeit that final match against Rennes 3-0 and as a result are out of the ECL. This probably works out better for us, but it's hilarious that UEFA penalized a team for a Covid outbreak.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #1300
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

No group of media rally around any perceived slight or unfairness like the ones with an association with liverpool, csnt even blame it on following what klopp does because he wasnt there when they went after evra for being the victim of some racism

https://twitter.com/user/status/1472927569955729417
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post: