Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #21
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very heartbreaking and senseless. An absolute tragedy. RIP
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #22
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate to be the one to say this, but First Degree Murder?

Would this not be second degree at most, I can't see how you could argue this was planned or targeted.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #23
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

Would this not be second degree at most, I can't see how you could argue this was planned or targeted.
Automatic for killing a cop.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #24
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are stopped and then your foot hits the gas, that shows thought before the action.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminal Code s.231
(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is

(a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff’s officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #26
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If these clowns have any sense they'll turn themselves in.

Granted, that being said...nobody who voluntarily sports that haircut likely has much in the way of sense.

He should use more discretion when picking his role models.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #27
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As others have mentioned, it's First Degree for killing a cop while in execution of his duties/on duty.

Also, they were able to name the 17yo as they applied to and got approval from the Youth Division of the Alberta Provincial Court (to answer your likely upcoming second question for you. )
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #28
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want to preface this with saying 14 hours later does seem like a crass time for this comment, but I think like many things if you don't talk about it now you wont later.

So if he has any family/friends here, I am very very sorry for what you are facing today, and I am in no way trying to minimize your loss.

Quote:
I don't follow criminal laws well enough to know if this is a fact or not. But if it is, I am extremely offended that some Canadians receiving a different standard of justice then I have, because of the job they have. Even if this is the way the law is applied, I sincerely hope it is not the way it is written. When we layout different levels of criminal responsibility for actions based on intent, they should be written well enough to cover all circumstances (not etching out little exceptions because the judicial system cares about the people close to it more than it cares about the rest of us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If you are stopped and then your foot hits the gas, that shows thought before the action.
I can't see how a split second decision in the moment could qualify as premeditation. These types of reactive decisions are exactly the reason less murder charges exist, because the circumstances weigh heavily on the risk of recidivism.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #29
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yup.
Well, I'm offended by our two tear justice system I guess.

Sorry to derail the thread.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #30
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Looks like both pics are mugshots, instead of going to jail for a drug/gun offence they run down a cop.

Rot idiots, and don't drop the soap
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #31
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If these clowns have any sense they'll turn themselves in.

Granted, that being said...nobody who voluntarily sports that haircut likely has much in the way of sense.
Those aren't high school pep squad pictures they're posing for there. They've been in trouble before clearly.

Only the 12th cop killed on active duty in Calgary in 143 years.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #32
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I want to preface this with saying 14 hours later does seem like a crass time for this comment, but I think like many things if you don't talk about it now you wont later.

So if he has any family/friends here, I am very very sorry for what you are facing today, and I am in no way trying to minimize your loss.

I don't follow criminal laws well enough to know if this is a fact or not. But if it is, I am extremely offended that some Canadians receiving a different standard of justice then I have, because of the job they have. Even if this is the way the law is applied, I sincerely hope it is not the way it is written. When we layout different levels of criminal responsibility for actions based on intent, they should be written well enough to cover all circumstances (not etching out little exceptions because the judicial system cares about the people close to it more than it cares about the rest of us).

I can't see how a split second decision in the moment could qualify as premeditation. These types of reactive decisions are exactly the reason less murder charges exist, because the circumstances weigh heavily on the risk of recidivism.
You're right. It's crass. Choose a better time.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #33
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

AND, you don't even know what the motive was here. None of us do. So you're speculation is just that, speculation. Maybe save it.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Saddened by the loss of an officer in the line of duty, A family destroyed.

I hope they catch these two mutts. If you're getting pulled over and you make the decision to put your foot on the gas and run it and put anyone in jeopardy then to me its premeditated, you made a decision.

I hope they're bought to justice and punished to the full extent of the law.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Those aren't high school pep squad pictures they're posing for there. They've been in trouble before clearly.

Yeah....its just...seriously? You know that the Cops are going to be having Traffic Stops on New Years' Eve. You know they're going to be out in full force.

Theres a Pandemic on FFS. Stay Home! You know all this!

This Sergeant didnt deserve this. This was needless.

This is just one of those moments that infuriate me. A man died because these two were stupid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I'm offended by our two tear justice system I guess.
tier*

... And it applies to prison guards and the like, too. Basically, people who are frequently put in a position where they interact with potentially dangerous people are afforded greater protection, while the people they're interacting with are presumed to know what they're doing if they kill someone in a CPS uniform. I think most people are fine with the system being "two-tiered" in that narrow sense.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #37
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
AND, you don't even know what the motive was here. None of us do. So you're speculation is just that, speculation. Maybe save it.
What difference does it make?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #38
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

That is actually a pretty amazing stat all things considered.

I think it is indicative of the hiring process, top notch training, a really solid relationship with the community and likely just a lot of luck.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #39
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

News reports are saying that the officer was hit by two cars. First he was hit and dragged by the suspect vehicle and then he was supposedly hit by a second vehicle which remained at the scene. If true, does the Crown's job of proving first degree murder become much more difficult? It is possible that the officer was significantly injured by the suspect vehicle but suffered life threating injuries from the second collision.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
My condolences to the CPS members here. Such an awful tragedy.
So angry at this. This happened to my high school friend Rick Sonnenberg.

https://www.calgary.ca/cps/tribute-t...-officers.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: