Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #281
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

Canada has never needed the eu and i don’t believe Britains do either. If they came together as a nation during ww2 and succeeded they can deal with Brexit.
This is pure sentimental claptrap.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #282
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada should stay as far away from the eu as possible barring a few trade deals.

Let’s put ourselves in Britains shoes for a moment:

If Canada was hypothetically part of the eu starting tomorrow, Canadians would be ok with whatever policies the eu wishes to impose upon us? I sure wouldn’t. Why would anybody want some dimwit in Brussels who we never elected making decisions on what policies are best for my country? While they are making policies that we here in Canada have to live by, we send them billions of dollars because we are a “have” country. Who in their right mind would ever go for that?

Canada has never needed the eu and i don’t believe Britains do either. If they came together as a nation during ww2 and succeeded they can deal with Brexit.

Then again maybe the eu making decisions for Canada wouldn’t be too bad. Brussels wouldn’t do a worse job than the current liberals.

I don't really care what the U.K does one way or another, but this is not a factual analysis of Britain in WWII.

For starters after WWII the U.K was lent a few billion pounds from the U.S.A an amount after interested that totaled £21 billion, and it was only paid off in 2006. Britain was practically bankrupt and had to withdraw from direct involvement in most of its colonies including Canada.

Not to mention that it is a stupid example because it is 74 years old. The world has changed, Britain's economy has changed, and Europeans attitude about one another has changed. All this is is a by gone appeal to a nationalistic nostalgia for a period in time where the U.K had some military might and were not seen as being "the bad guys" in terms of historic violence.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #283
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So there is zero benefit to a trade deal with the u.s.? It’s a one way street with the u.s. but lots of benefit to trade deals with the eu? I mean by that logic Canada should probably back out of usmca and try getting in the eu.
There is no comparison between the UK and Canada's economy, they are utterly different, the UK is a service economy, it makes very little and the manufacturing it does have is predominantly for the EU market and largely foreign owned, it has no raw materials and a small agricultural sector, 50% of its exports are service exports to the EU, those exports rely on the UK's membership of the customs union, you cant go and consult in Germany if you aren't allowed to work in Germany after all.

A trade deal with the US does little for the UK in comparison, there is nothing in the UK that has been held back by the lack of a trade deal and the price of a US trade deal will be the loss of the UK agricultural sector, it will be swamped by cheaper US produce and disappear overnight and the loss of the City, London has maintained its edge over Wall St by looser regulation and over sight, one of the first demands of the US is regulatory alignment which will kill of the city within a few decades.

The UK will survive Brexit, it will just be permanently and massively poorer because of it, much like world war 2 did to the UK.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #284
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2
If they came together as a nation during ww2 and succeeded they can deal with Brexit.

Victory Gardens and Ration Books for all!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #285
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Canada should stay as far away from the eu as possible barring a few trade deals.

If Canada was hypothetically part of the eu starting tomorrow, Canadians would be ok with whatever policies the eu wishes to impose upon us? I sure wouldn’t. Why would anybody want some dimwit in Brussels who we never elected making decisions on what policies are best for my country? While they are making policies that we here in Canada have to live by, we send them billions of dollars because we are a “have” country. Who in their right mind would ever go for that?

Then again maybe the eu making decisions for Canada wouldn’t be too bad. Brussels wouldn’t do a worse job than the current liberals.
So you're against free movement, increased paid vacation, and better consumer protections? I'd love it if Canada joined the EU, being able to look for jobs all across Europe without worrying about visas would be incredible. Your entire post reads like a Rebel talking point memo, it's ridiculous fear mongering
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #286
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
You live in Vauxhall?

Chipping Barnet.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #287
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Chipping Barnet.
I was thinking of Kate Hoey
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #288
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

So let me get this straight.... It's ok to have to send money to Edmonton or Ottawa and having elected officials create policy, but if you were hypothetically in the EU and had to do the same with people in Brussels, its suddenly a problem???

If Alberta was hypothetically part of Canada starting tomorrow, Albertans would be ok with whatever policies Canada wishes to impose upon us? I sure wouldn’t. Why would anybody want some dimwit in Ottawa who we never elected making decisions on what policies are best for my province? While they are making policies that we here in Alberta have to live by, we send them billions of dollars because we are a “have” province. Who in their right mind would ever go for that?

If Calgary was hypothetically part of Alberta starting tomorrow, Calgarians would be ok with whatever policies the province wishes to impose upon us? I sure wouldn’t. Why would anybody want some dimwit in Edmonton who we never elected making decisions on what policies are best for my city? While they are making policies that we here in Alberta have to live by, we send them billions of dollars because we are a “have” city. Who in their right mind would ever go for that?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #289
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I thought so.

How unfortunate for you.

And me. Now the thought is planted in my head.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #290
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
If Alberta was hypothetically part of Canada starting tomorrow, Albertans would be ok with whatever policies Canada wishes to impose upon us? I sure wouldn’t. Why would anybody want some dimwit in Ottawa who we never elected making decisions on what policies are best for my province? While they are making policies that we here in Alberta have to live by, we send them billions of dollars because we are a “have” province. Who in their right mind would ever go for that?
I think you just wrote the UCP manifesto.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #291
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think you just wrote the UCP manifesto.
Yeah, it is sad how many people are turning to that way of thinking. I was hoping putting it in terms of things that people are accepting of and used to would frame it better, but I forget how much tribalism is taking hold these days.

I was also worried the second version would go over terribly thanks to the Edmonton reference!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #292
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boris Johnson no longer has a majority in parliament. MP Tory Lee crosses the floor to join the Liberal Democrats during Boris Johnson's speech. I can't think of a bigger FU to one's former party.

Quote:
Rebel Tory MP Phillip Lee has dramatically defected to the Liberal Democrats – depriving Boris Johnson of his Commons majority.

The pro-EU former justice minister walked across the Commons chamber, to sit with Jo Swinson’s party, meaning the prime minister now leads a minority government – the first since 1996.

“The party I joined in 1992 is not the party I am leaving today,” said Dr Lee, a supporter of a Final Say referendum on Brexit.

“This Conservative government is aggressively pursuing a damaging Brexit in unprincipled ways. It is putting lives and livelihoods at risk unnecessarily and it is wantonly endangering the integrity of the United Kingdom.

“More widely, it is undermining our country’s economy, democracy and role in the world. It is using political manipulation, bullying and lies. And it is doing these things in a deliberate and considered way.”

Mr Lee said the Conservative Party "had become a narrow faction in which one's Conservatism is measured by how recklessly one wants to leave the European Union".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9090356.html

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #293
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking of The Vauxhall Tavern

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #294
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I realize cp is a leftist forum. Nothing new there.

However:

People who voted to leave the eu: 17,410,742
People who voted to stay in the eu: 16,141,241

This is the part where the left comes in and questions the results, the validity of the vote etc. Democracy be dam$&@.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #295
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

However:

This is the part where the left comes in and questions the results, the validity of the vote etc. Democracy be dam$&@.
Really? Although there a few very vocal left wing posters, I would argue that the majority or opinions are moderate right.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #296
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Really? Although there a few very vocal left wing posters, I would argue that the majority or opinions are moderate right.
Clearly stampsx2 doesn't read the Canadian politics thread.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #297
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously the far right loves the idea of Brexit however I thought this was an issue that transcends the political divide with Yes and No voters coming from both sides. Even Labour supports Brexit, just not a no deal Brexit.

The entire referendum was flawed from the start with Yes voters expecting a great deal Brexit not a no deal Brexit. If I was British I’d have no issue with continuing negotiations to reach a deal and a 2nd referendum taking that deal to the people.

Anyways it looks like Boris will be calling an election. He may go down as the shortest PM ever.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #298
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

However:

are people here actually questioning Britain leaving the EU (and their right to do so) or simply mocking them? Haven't followed the thread since the beginning...

the vote is a clear majority; whether the question was clear enough or the complexity of the issues were conveyed are a different matter that i don't really care about.

I think its idiotic and shortsighted, but they are free to do whatever they want... not really of fan of Johnson proroguing parliament however.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 09-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #299
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

However:

You’re 100% right.
Politicians, and the people who voted for them, or a position should never change their mind when presented with new information, or a change in circumstances. Who would want a leader like that, someone who makes measured decisions based on the most current information?

What’s best is they stick with a result that was based on a lie, and bears no resemblance to what is actually on the table.

Strict adherence to a poorly made decision, that’s what democracy is all about!
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #300
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do these things have to do with each other - the concept that the British people endured a necessary hardship before, one that crippled the economy decimating the "empire", so they should willingly cripple the economy again (without a threat of a foe), and decimate the union between England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote