Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #1221
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit wow found. crazy

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-23-2020 at 09:15 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #1222
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I was going to start buying parts for my build starting with the case and X570 motherboard, but holy hell supply chain issues are huge right now. I was entertaining a Phanteks Evolv Shift X but I can't secure a X570 ITX board without paying $600 for one because supply is shot to hell. Even if I decided on something that could do mATX, still everything is slim pickings. Going with an ATX board is somewhat easier but limits my choices for a case.

Goddamn, maybe I'll just buy the M.2 boot drive first.

be wary of what you put in the evolve shift x, the airflow with the tempered glass panels is pretty terrible.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #1223
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea the reviews coming in for the Intel 10th gen aren't pretty brutal. 5-7% above the competition on gaming and single-thread performance due to the faster single thread OC boosting but much worse multi-thread performance depending on the workload.

From price/perf standpoint AMD is blowing Intel out of the water. Even if Intel's multi-thread performance was on par with AMD, you are still going to end up paying a 33% premium.

Intel's not going to be competitive for awhile until there is a complete architectural re-design.

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-24-2020 at 10:04 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #1224
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was going to start buying parts for my build starting with the case and X570 motherboard, but holy hell supply chain issues are huge right now. I was entertaining a Phanteks Evolv Shift X but I can't secure a X570 ITX board without paying $600 for one because supply is shot to hell. Even if I decided on something that could do mATX, still everything is slim pickings. Going with an ATX board is somewhat easier but limits my choices for a case.

Goddamn, maybe I'll just buy the M.2 boot drive first.
Yea, all the PC manufacturers, even pre-builts, are screwed at the moment because of the COVID backlogs. Dell has taken to lying about their delivery delays quoting 1-2 days when they haven't shipped anything for almost a month now.

https://www.dell.com/community/Custo...7574819#M29474
https://www.dell.com/community/Custo...t/false#M29110
Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 PM   #1225
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Windows loads on my new M2 pciex drive faster than my bios.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #1226
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yea the reviews coming in for the Intel 10th gen aren't pretty brutal. 5-7% above the competition on gaming and single-thread performance due to the faster single thread OC boosting but much worse multi-thread performance depending on the workload.

Intel's not going to be competitive for awhile until there is a complete architectural re-design.
Is this fair though? As you just said, they're more than competitive for gaming - the current chips actually perform better for that. And this 10th gen version has improved heat performance than the previous generation, which is, I gather, a surprise.

I think they've really stretched this design to its absolute limits and a re-design must be in the works (I sort of assumed that 9th and 10th gen were both stopgaps to allow them to buy time to complete a new design), but for this generation at least, they're still good.

And you have to remember, it's still Intel. They still have their brand and their relationships. Until their chips are so obviously and demonstrably worse than AMD's that average consumers actually start paying attention, computer manufacturers are still going to be more likely to put an Intel processor in their machines than an AMD one. It's not as if you're going to go into Best Buy or Memex in 3 months and all of the laptops they're selling will have Ryzen in them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #1227
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm planning out my CPU/Mobo refresh for this year, and I'm seeing no AM4/+ motherboards with built in Thunderbolt? I thought Intel licensed some earlier this year.

I probably will be sticking with Intel just to have onboard TB at this point. Screw tracking down an expansion card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #1228
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plex server hard drive died, was running it on Win 10 so I bought a new 8TB replacement and decided to use Freenas instead of Windows 10. Takes some learning but once up and running its nice. I will say there must be some known exploits with it since I started it up I had 5000 attempts to connect through ssh port from Russia. Probably just trying to get in before the default passwords changed. Man the internet is a scary place.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #1229
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is this fair though? As you just said, they're more than competitive for gaming - the current chips actually perform better for that. And this 10th gen version has improved heat performance than the previous generation, which is, I gather, a surprise.

I think they've really stretched this design to its absolute limits and a re-design must be in the works (I sort of assumed that 9th and 10th gen were both stopgaps to allow them to buy time to complete a new design), but for this generation at least, they're still good.

And you have to remember, it's still Intel. They still have their brand and their relationships. Until their chips are so obviously and demonstrably worse than AMD's that average consumers actually start paying attention, computer manufacturers are still going to be more likely to put an Intel processor in their machines than an AMD one. It's not as if you're going to go into Best Buy or Memex in 3 months and all of the laptops they're selling will have Ryzen in them.
That statement is fair and Intel's current parts are not competitive when they can barely keep up in most metrics and only outperform in one or two scenarios at a substantially higher price for ownership.

Consumers do see this in the desktop space. Amazon worldwide and Mindfactory (One of Europe's biggest e-tailers) show their entire top seller lists going to AMD. Ryzen 5 3600 itself outsold the all Intel chips combined last quarter. Which would tell me the vast majority of people do not get their PCs for gaming exclusively.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-....459514.0.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15787...st-selling-cpu

Those same manufacturers you mentioned are getting sick of the Intel parts shortages because of the Intel fab manufacturing mis-steps of the 8th and 9th gen in their failed conversion to 10nm node with a few making public statements about diversifying their production.
https://marketrealist.com/2019/12/in...nts-pc-makers/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/intels-...ch-11579775401
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/27/inte...ectations.html

Given AMD's increasing mind-share on the desktop space, Ryzen 4000 laptop chips are blowing the Intel chips out of the water in every review coming out in peak perf and price, and the huge problems with performance/heat/price on Intel's new 10th gen server chips. What do you expect to happen? Yea, you won't see all the laptops at Memex AMD in three months, but you'll see maybe parity sooner or later and a longer erosion of their relationship with Intel PC manufacturers as long as Intel fails to deliver a new architecture or gets a working 7nm node; which according to Intels public roadmaps and private leaks from Intel employees won't be in the next two years at very least.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #1230
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Plex server hard drive died, was running it on Win 10 so I bought a new 8TB replacement and decided to use Freenas instead of Windows 10. Takes some learning but once up and running its nice. I will say there must be some known exploits with it since I started it up I had 5000 attempts to connect through ssh port from Russia. Probably just trying to get in before the default passwords changed. Man the internet is a scary place.
Are you running with a signed cert on your domain? If you are go through and use Cloudflare as a DDNS to block those Russian hacker connection requests. I just geo block all countries I don't expect to get a connection from now. Was getting way way too many PHP remote execution and password hack attempts from Russia, China, Romania, Ukraine, etc.

Also if you are running a Plex stack, consider Unraid. I found it much better than Freenas after trialing both from a convenience standpoint for my Plex server replacement a few months ago. Certainly took a lot less time to configure and set up w/ the docker support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
So I'm planning out my CPU/Mobo refresh for this year, and I'm seeing no AM4/+ motherboards with built in Thunderbolt? I thought Intel licensed some earlier this year.

I probably will be sticking with Intel just to have onboard TB at this point. Screw tracking down an expansion card.
Some X570 boards have TB headers, Asrocks boards do anyways.
https://www.amazon.ca/X570-Phantom-G.../dp/B07VXYYG7F

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-25-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #1231
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man people do *not* like that Asrock board just glancing around reviews on various sites.

Hope there's more by the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #1232
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man people do *not* like that Asrock board just glancing around reviews on various sites.

Most of the B550 mobos will as well which *should* be releasing soon
https://edgeup.asus.com/2020/b550-mo...-gaming-prime/
Old 05-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #1233
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

I just watched an LTT video that was put up today and Linus has that mobo for his home PC in a server rack because it has thunderbolt. What are the complaints?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #1234
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryzen 9 3900XT and Ryzen 5 3600XT incoming as a mid-cycle refresh ahead of the 4000 series offering a ~200-300Mhz base clock increase over the 3900X and 3600X. Leaks show the new chips beating incoming 10th gen Intel chips in single thread IPC. Anyone thinking of upgrading may want to hold off to see what these actually look like in terms of pricing.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ry....466823.0.html
Old 05-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #1235
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I wonder if that means the 4000 series is further off. I might be tempted to jump now if the prices on those look ok.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #1236
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yea, all the PC manufacturers, even pre-builts, are screwed at the moment because of the COVID backlogs. Dell has taken to lying about their delivery delays quoting 1-2 days when they haven't shipped anything for almost a month now.

https://www.dell.com/community/Custo...7574819#M29474
https://www.dell.com/community/Custo...t/false#M29110
I was supposed to be receiving that Dell monitor posted earlier in the thread this past Monday. Unfortunately, Dell ships with Purolator, and Purolator's Calgary facility had a COVID-19 outbreak earlier in the month, so while Dell made good on shipping the monitor, it hasn't even left Purolator's Etobicoke facility yet. I've been told by a telephone representative that it should now arrive June 1st... but my tracking number lists the Estimated Delivery Date as Not Available.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #1237
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I wonder if that means the 4000 series is further off. I might be tempted to jump now if the prices on those look ok.
Could mean there are manufacturing delays, or could be just preemptive move against the 10th gen Intel parts. Who knows? Probably wouldn't make sense to do a mid cycle like this without some time in between the next gen launch

Quote:
I was supposed to be receiving that Dell monitor posted earlier in the thread this past Monday. Unfortunately, Dell ships with Purolator, and Purolator's Calgary facility had a COVID-19 outbreak earlier in the month, so while Dell made good on shipping the monitor, it hasn't even left Purolator's Etobicoke facility yet. I've been told by a telephone representative that it should now arrive June 1st... but my tracking number lists the Estimated Delivery Date as Not Available.
So far my packages are all delayed anywhere from 7-10 business days... Better than Not Available I suppose.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #1238
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gmp45o/the_zen_3_architecture_is_coming_to_amd_x470_and/

also if the current technological lead ensures that rollout of Ryzen 3/4000 series isn't the tire fire that Ryzen 2/3000 was with multiple bios revisions coming out in 4/5 months that will be good.

pricing looks to be launch pricing for original ryzen 2 chips as there have been some discounts to the original pricing.

Caution swearing:
NSFW!
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #1239
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I am very much in that boat... have been waiting for the "Big Navi" thing to drop forever so it can drive down the 2080ti cost so I can go eGPU. Also waiting to play TLOU2 and FF7 until PS5 drops because my PS4 is dead and I'm not buying another this close to a next gen launch obviously.

Wait, wait, wait...
Corsi, replying to one of your older posts. I’ve built all of gaming my pc‘s over the years, but the the eGPU thing you mentioned, is quite interesting. What’s your plan?

On my next build in a year or so, could I instead grab a top laptop (hopeful), and USB-c/thunderbolt, in my eGPU, for a consolidated system? No longer two work stations at home. Work/personal.

Plus getting back the desktop real estate my tower inhibits would be another plus.

Anyone explored this ?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #1240
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where to grab a PCI/USB-C Card ?
Amazon is 2-3 months.
MemEx and Newegg are special order.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote