Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #2321
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seemed like things were getting back to semi-normal, and then they suddenly weren't again.

Hopefully they start shipping the steam deck soon and I can just occupy myself with that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #2322
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

For everyone looking for a newer GPU:
https://droptracker.ca/me/
That's a pretty accurate drop tracker for memory express, just a heads up that cards usually go out of stock in about 15-40 mins based on quantity. I had better luck with some discord servers that would alert me of drops.
If any of you want links/invites to the discords just PM me.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #2323
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have an unloved or under used 1440p monitor?
Old 02-01-2022, 08:30 PM   #2324
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

An interesting video about newegg's return policy:
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #2325
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brother in law walked in and got a 3080ti from memex but needed to also get a mobo/processor to purchase the GPU.

So they have stock but don’t just sell the cards I guess…
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:34 PM   #2326
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Purchased a new system several months ago and asked them if they could put a new GPU on back order and the guy at the till said they were still trying to catch up on the orders shortly after release, buddy asked them the same thing a few weeks later and got the same answer as your BIL, so I its a roll of the dice on who you get
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #2327
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Did anybody ever sign up for EVGA product notifications? I did this what seems like a year ago and I finally got an email saying they had inventory. Got a direct purchase link for a 3060 Ti. I only had 20 hours to purchase it which I did, buy now think later.

Wasn't really planning on building a gaming PC but I guess I will, lol. It's probably been 15 years since I last built a PC.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #2328
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone heard or done business with Simply Secured? Their website looks legit and everything, but I’ve never heard of them. They have a location in Calgary.

They have a piece of gear in stock that’s sold out everyone else. Just wanna make sure I’m not throwing money away.

www.simplysecured.ca
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #2329
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
Did anybody ever sign up for EVGA product notifications? I did this what seems like a year ago and I finally got an email saying they had inventory. Got a direct purchase link for a 3060 Ti. I only had 20 hours to purchase it which I did, buy now think later.

Wasn't really planning on building a gaming PC but I guess I will, lol. It's probably been 15 years since I last built a PC.

I'm in the queue, but haven't heard anything yet. Still chugging along on my rx580 for now.
Canadianman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #2330
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post

They actually drop cards for their elite memebers once a week. They are gone rather quickly though. They usually do both RTX cards and older cards so you can even get a 1080 or a 2060 for example. The last drop for RTX cards was on Thursday, but they dropped some B-stock(older cards) on Friday.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #2331
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I want to be able to easily switch a headset between two computers. This looks like it would work, though was hoping to find something sooner. Any ideas?

https://www.amazon.ca/Nobsound-Audio...dp/B07GVFGB6N/

Old 02-10-2022, 06:22 PM   #2332
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I want to be able to easily switch a headset between two computers. This looks like it would work, though was hoping to find something sooner. Any ideas?

https://www.amazon.ca/Nobsound-Audio...dp/B07GVFGB6N/

What about using Bluetooth headphones with both computers? or is that not an option?
Old 02-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #2333
photon

Exp:

I already have a nice headset for my home computer and want to easily switch to using it on my work laptop too (I have both hooked up to my primary monitor).

They did provide me a cheapo headset today so I'll see how that works.. I just feel dumb now because I have my PC headset, I'll have another headset for work for meetings.. and I currently have my Switch attached to my primary monitor too and I have ANOTHER set of headphones (my former office headphones) for playing games on the Switch.

Maybe I should just buy a mixing board lol.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #2334
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Schiit Hel would work but it's not cheap and they're having issues getting product out because of shortages.

https://www.schiit.com/products/hel-1

The one you linked to is probably good enough if the quality is decent.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #2335
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hefty price. 3080 Ti available:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B097DTK1F6

EDIT: Last one in stock it looks like.

Last edited by chemgear; 02-11-2022 at 09:39 AM.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #2336
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I already have a nice headset for my home computer and want to easily switch to using it on my work laptop too (I have both hooked up to my primary monitor).

They did provide me a cheapo headset today so I'll see how that works.. I just feel dumb now because I have my PC headset, I'll have another headset for work for meetings.. and I currently have my Switch attached to my primary monitor too and I have ANOTHER set of headphones (my former office headphones) for playing games on the Switch.

If you're only interested in audio(I know you said headset, but never know). This will convert any headphones into bluetooth and let you easily connect to 3 devices
Again your solution is probably better for your case.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:38 AM   #2337
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You could buy a DAC with multiple inputs.. or have a USB switcher that runs in before the DAC. (For example my FIIO K5 pro has line in, usb, coax and optical in). Problem is in that scenario you need a different option for a mic. I personally have good success with my logitech webcam mic, so I never need a 'gaming' headset at all

Just spitballing

Last edited by calumniate; 02-15-2022 at 07:40 AM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:33 AM   #2338
photon

Exp:

The cheap headset they gave me is actually not that bad turns out. The audio isn't that great but the mic is fairly decent. And it is small, I guess I'll just use it when I have meetings.

Of course it's USB-A and my Mac is USB-C, so I asked them if they could provide an adapter so I could use it when I'm away from my dock.. They said no. They won't provide a $10 adapter for a $4000 laptop so I can attend meetings when I'm doing the hybrid home/office that the company is doing? Companies are so stupid.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:58 AM   #2339
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attend all your meetings with your manager using the built-in mic and speakers, don’t turn on noise cancellation, and ‘forget’ to mute yourself when there’s a lot of noise around you (turn on the dryer and have your meetings in the laundry room). Apologize profusely that you can’t use your headset because the company won’t provide a USB-C adapter.

Although in all seriousness, I’m surprised you don’t already have one as the owner of a USB-C only device. I have two different USB-C to USB-A / HDMI / NIC adapters and they’ve been really handy to have.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #2340
photon

Exp:

That sounds like half of my existing meetings already.