Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #321
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
@HeavyJack, put away the milk cartons
They were going sour… kinda like this move by the Oil haha. Oilstain good to see your ‘active’ again just in time for a 3 game win streak and EKane signing.

Never change Edmonton, never change.

Stang still missing too no?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #322
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I don't think the guy has ever been accused of being out of shape.
3 wins and look who comes out of hiding!!
Old 01-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #323
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I wouldn't mind hearing your honest reaction to this move.
Do you support it or not?
How does this alter your impression of the Oilers organization, if at all?
I support it.

The Oilers acquired a good player at a low cap hit.

It doesn't alter anything for impressions. I don't care if Kane makes poor decisions in his personal life. Maybe some people like the off ice drama more, but I don't care. Most of the talk of moral high grounds that comes from orgs is just to help them appeal to the widest possible fanbase.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #324
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I support it.

It doesn't alter anything for impressions. I don't care if Kane makes poor decisions in his personal life. Maybe some people like the off ice drama more, but I don't care. Most of the talk of moral high grounds that comes from orgs is just to help them appeal to the widest possible fanbase.
And the fact that his teammates universally hated him and wanted him gone? Is that just off ice issues?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 08:15 PM   #325
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Its also evident from the presser that Kane also probably doesn't care what he does to that dressing room and the sour taste he leaves on former teams.

Even from strictly a hockey and not PR perspective, its stupidity.

But it makes sense for the Oilers more than any club I guess because they're running out of runway until that inevitably McDavid trade reqiest, and they've botched it to this point.

Too bad Kane doesn't make Koskinen better, or teach McDavid how to backcheck. Thats what they actually needed, not this.

But Edmonton lives to define insanity.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:36 PM   #326
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I support it.

Fair enough. There's a whole lot of off ice stuff the fans never hear in every dressing room and with a lot of players. But eventually when that drama keeps bubbling to the top, it speaks to his overall character and judgement issues, and that's because he doesn't take responsibility for his actions thus doubling down in the problem by being selfish and not learning from transgressions.

Those character and judgement issues and the selfish way he deals with teammates certainly make their way down to and affect the team dynamic and the way teammates think of him, and that never usally plays out well. In the Oilers room, with the great divide where some players have different rules than others already, it's probably less of an issue than any other room in the league, but adding a known toxic element is going to accelerate the defined shelf life he already seems to have in each destinations.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:41 PM   #327
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
And the fact that his teammates universally hated him and wanted him gone? Is that just off ice issues?
That's the definition of off ice issues I would say.

I've heard a lot of the guys on the team didn't like Pronger in Anaheim. He still did alright for himself. Seems like Kane is a more extreme case, but I haven't heard of him doing stuff like bullying other teammates like we heard about Avery on Brown in LA.

Kane's problems seem to stem more from not showing up on time, following protocol, etc. Not good for sure, but didn't hear anything much about it in SJ for the first two seasons he was there and they were making the playoffs.

Will Kane break the Oilers dressing room in the 4 months he will be there? I'm leaning towards not, but lets wait and see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #328
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
I support it.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #329
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Kane's problems seem to stem more from not showing up on time, following protocol, etc.
I’d suggest Kane’s problems are a tad more serious that being late for practice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487109642023022597
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #330
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Fair enough. There's a whole lot of off ice stuff the fans never hear in every dressing room and with a lot of players. But eventually when that drama keeps bubbling to the top, it speaks to his overall character and judgement issues, and that's because he doesn't take responsibility for his actions thus doubling down in the problem by being selfish and not learning from transgressions.

Those character and judgement issues and the selfish way he deals with teammates certainly make their way down to and affect the team dynamic and the way teammates think of him, and that never usally plays out well. In the Oilers room, with the great divide where some players have different rules than others already, it's probably less of an issue than any other room in the league, but adding a known toxic element is going to accelerate the defined shelf life he already seems to have in each destinations.
Yeah he definitely can't seem to fall in line. I think his shelf life in Edmonton will be only this season regardless of how the results are though.

If he has a good season and doesn't blow up the dressing room, I imagine he'll want to make some money and there isn't any left in Edmonton.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #331
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm reminded of a Jim Gaffigan joke about 2 dirt pairs of underwear when I think of Evander the Oilers.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #332
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
I’d suggest Kane’s problems are a tad more serious that being late for practice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487109642023022597
Yeah....there are times I find it rather surprising that he skates right on by on the 'Paying for Abortions' bit.

I do find it odd at times that people brush away his incidents under the guise of jealousy of someone successful or thinly veiled racism but...really?

Its not like he did one questionable thing that cant be proven. The guy has a pretty outstanding track record.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:22 PM   #333
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487255430287949830

Tippet's reaction is priceless to finding out Kane is in the lineup tomorrow night.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:26 PM   #334
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's a "help" face if I ever saw one.

Sorry we didn't come through and break you out of your shackles last weekend Tipper.

I hope that 300mph train crash is quick and painless for your sake.

God speed.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-28-2022 at 09:33 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 PM   #335
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Yeah he definitely can't seem to fall in line. I think his shelf life in Edmonton will be only this season regardless of how the results are though.

If he has a good season and doesn't blow up the dressing room, I imagine he'll want to make some money and there isn't any left in Edmonton.
So let me get this straight. You support Evander on your team knowing there is a chance he destroys the Oilers dressing room for half a season of his service?

All I keep seeing is Oiler fans sticking their heads in the sand on this one. The Oilers and their fans totally deserve Evander Kane. He will fit perfect with all the other selfish guys on the Oilers. Cant wait to hear about which guy he fights in that dressing room first.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #336
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah....there are times I find it rather surprising that he skates right on by on the 'Paying for Abortions' bit.

I do find it odd at times that people brush away his incidents under the guise of jealousy of someone successful or thinly veiled racism but...really?

Its not like he did one questionable thing that cant be proven. The guy has a pretty outstanding track record.
I’m surprised he paid and didn’t run out on the bill.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 10:09 PM   #337
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'll give you a slow-clap for that one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:33 PM   #338
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

The one guy I wonder about is Hyman. Dude is a children's book author in his spare time. And now a guy with the character and brains of Kane comes in... Presumably to take his ice?

Let's say Kane enjoys a bit of personal success... And Hyman goes the other way. Next year, Kane is gone but Hyman's still in a rut. Who do the fans and media turn on? Not Kane... He gone.

Hyman will get absolutely torn to shreds in that market once he starts underperforming that contract. If it happens soon, it's a disaster.

When people say, it's only a few months, what could go wrong? Well ya, actually quite a bit.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #339
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's the definition of off ice issues I would say.

I've heard a lot of the guys on the team didn't like Pronger in Anaheim. He still did alright for himself. Seems like Kane is a more extreme case, but I haven't heard of him doing stuff like bullying other teammates like we heard about Avery on Brown in LA.

Kane's problems seem to stem more from not showing up on time, following protocol, etc. Not good for sure, but didn't hear anything much about it in SJ for the first two seasons he was there and they were making the playoffs.

Will Kane break the Oilers dressing room in the 4 months he will be there? I'm leaning towards not, but lets wait and see.
I guess we have a different definition of off ice issues. If you are going through a nasty divorce or some family issues, then that is off ice. If the other people on your team and your linemates in a game hate you and wish you were gone that seems to he an on ice issue. You know, because you are on ice together.

Will he break the Oilers dressing room? Not sure. They seem so stable and calm without him lol. Or is the word pissy?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 PM   #340
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's why he's being sued. He promised to pay her $3 million if she had the abortion. She did, and he didn't pay up. -- All allegedly, for now.

https://theathletic.com/news/judge-r.../6eUxPR75fBSZ/

Quote:
A federal bankruptcy judge gave the go-ahead for discovery in a lawsuit filed by Hope Parker, who alleges Kane reneged on a promise to pay her at least $2 million if she aborted their pregnancy.

That means Parker, who first sued in 2018 in California state court, can begin seeking testimony and electronic correspondence from Kane, who says he changed his mind about paying Parker before she sent him proof of the abortion. That argument did not win over bankruptcy judge Stephen Johnson.

“Plaintiff (Parker) was unwilling to terminate the third pregnancy until Defendant (Kane) offered her two to three million dollars to do so,” Johnson wrote. (According to bankruptcy court documents, Parker allegedly aborted a fetus conceived with the hockey player twice before, and Kane paid her $125,000 for the second abortion.) “Then, on June 13, 2018, Plaintiff sent Defendant a text message of her lab results, which confirmed she had terminated the third pregnancy. When Plaintiff requested Defendant update her on the status of her payment, Defendant, for the first time, told (Plaintiff) he was not going to pay her, stating: ‘I’ll have my lawyer contact you I’m not dealing with this any further then.’

“I can infer from the complaint that Plaintiff falsely said he would pay … to abort the third pregnancy, and that he did so to deceive (her) into actually undergoing that abortion.”