Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #3501
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Why would you even write that out?!
Because I'm a jinx

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #3502
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bizzare article from CBC Hamilton a few weeks ago. Of course they run to some random member of the Forge, who drops this bit of wisdom about the weather:

But when Canada's men's national soccer team meets the U.S. at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton on Jan. 30 for a World Cup qualifying game, Smith said, the deep-freeze conditions will most likely challenge the visiting team.

"They're in the off season, so they're not coming in top shape and then ... they're leaving pre-seasons from warmer places, so Arizona, Florida or California," Smith, a former professional player, told CBC Hamilton.

"Having to come back here and having to deal with the weather in Hamilton outdoors would be very difficult, giving the Canadian team the advantage."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ield-1.6308949

Because of all Canada’s players are taking a break from their day jobs of ice fishers and igloo makers to play WCQ?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:39 PM   #3503
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad but no major surprise.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487495908300316676

Also, don't think this has been posted yet but do you think these guys are loving the journey right now? what a group
https://twitter.com/user/status/1486932327834042368

Last edited by Trojan97; 01-29-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #3504
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Bizzare article from CBC Hamilton a few weeks ago. Of course they run to some random member of the Forge, who drops this bit of wisdom about the weather:

But when Canada's men's national soccer team meets the U.S. at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton on Jan. 30 for a World Cup qualifying game, Smith said, the deep-freeze conditions will most likely challenge the visiting team.

"They're in the off season, so they're not coming in top shape and then ... they're leaving pre-seasons from warmer places, so Arizona, Florida or California," Smith, a former professional player, told CBC Hamilton.

"Having to come back here and having to deal with the weather in Hamilton outdoors would be very difficult, giving the Canadian team the advantage."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ield-1.6308949

Because of all Canada’s players are taking a break from their day jobs of ice fishers and igloo makers to play WCQ?

I think there's some truth to that. There's current infighting within the US camp between the MLS players and the overseas players. Berhalter keeps picking MLS players, to the dismay of their fans, but he claims the overseas players are divas. So they are not going to like the cold.

There was a lot of criticism of their 1-0 win over El Salvador on Thursday. It's all about work rate. Zardes, Ariolla, and Morris all get jerseys for games because of the effort they put in on the forecheck. I noticed that from Musah until he exhausted himself. Dest and Weah did a nice job pushing forward but Musah was then forced to sprint back behind the ball to pressure (not just prevent a counter attack). You don't get that effort from Pulisc (he has to remember to get up and run after a turnover) So playing in -15 temperate might reduce the American work rate and Pulisic is going to whine and complain.

And Johnston will be in short sleeves again!

Old 01-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #3505
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think there's some truth to that. There's current infighting within the US camp between the MLS players and the overseas players. Berhalter keeps picking MLS players, to the dismay of their fans, but he claims the overseas players are divas. So they are not going to like the cold.

There was a lot of criticism of their 1-0 win over El Salvador on Thursday. It's all about work rate. Zardes, Ariolla, and Morris all get jerseys for games because of the effort they put in on the forecheck. I noticed that from Musah until he exhausted himself. Dest and Weah did a nice job pushing forward but Musah was then forced to sprint back behind the ball to pressure (not just prevent a counter attack). You don't get that effort from Pulisc (he has to remember to get up and run after a turnover) So playing in -15 temperate might reduce the American work rate and Pulisic is going to whine and complain.

And Johnston will be in short sleeves again!
My point is that sure the Americans will find it cold, but all of the top talented Canadian players returning for these games from Europe (heck even MLS which was done over a month ago) are also coming from nicer climates as well, and have been playing in nicer climates probably since their early teens...basically no one is used to playing a snap game outside in Canada between October and March growing up here, so it's not a massive advantage to Canada.

Maybe in the olden days with teams and bad pitch conditions negating skill that Canada didn't have and other teams did, there would be a reason for this, but it's antiquated and cliched IMO becuase Canada's skill level is legit at the top level in CONCACAF.

It just heightens the worry about injury.

And, for US costernation about their result, Canada got a result and the media just continues the hype train to Qatar becuase of the result, but I don't think they had a great overall game Thursday.

Sure, play down to the opponent a bit, but that's likely what the US did and are getting criticized for. Canada in the same boat, and was very fortunate IMO not to have conceded 1 goal, and if that one goal (first Borjan save) came before the 2-0 goal, it may have remained 1-1 and a completely different narrative without the play of the team looking much different. Canada counter attacked great, but in the second half were not looking that comfortable with balls in the air at the back, and I think better teams would carve them apart at the back and not give them the counter attack opportunities.

That said, if they pull out (what I would consider an upset) a win tomorrow and take care of business in ES on Tuesday, they would firmly have one foot on the plane to Doha.

Last edited by browna; 01-29-2022 at 01:40 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #3506
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487495908300316676
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #3507
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My point is that sure the Americans will find it cold, but all of the top talented Canadian players returning for these games from Europe (heck even MLS which was done over a month ago) are also coming from nicer climates as well, and have been playing in nicer climates probably since their early teens...basically no one is used to playing a snap game outside in Canada between October and March growing up here, so it's not a massive advantage to Canada.

Maybe in the olden days with teams and bad pitch conditions negating skill that Canada didn't have and other teams did, there would be a reason for this, but it's antiquated and cliched IMO becuase Canada's skill level is legit at the top level in CONCACAF.

It just heightens the worry about injury.

And, for US costernation about their result, Canada got a result and the media just continues the hype train to Qatar becuase of the result, but I don't think they had a great overall game Thursday.

Sure, play down to the opponent a bit, but that's likely what the US did and are getting criticized for. Canada in the same boat, and was very fortunate IMO not to have conceded 1 goal, and if that one goal (first Borjan save) came before the 2-0 goal, it may have remained 1-1 and a completely different narrative without the play of the team looking much different. Canada counter attacked great, but in the second half were not looking that comfortable with balls in the air at the back, and I think better teams would carve them apart at the back and not give them the counter attack opportunities.

That said, if they pull out (what I would consider an upset) a win tomorrow and take care of business in ES on Tuesday, they would firmly have one foot on the plane to Doha.
Canada is also coming back from a few days in Honduras, while the US played their last game in Ohio. It seems like they will be more acclimated than we are.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:04 PM   #3508
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487555087501303813
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #3509
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487559654548938754
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 04:12 PM   #3510
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Canada is also coming back from a few days in Honduras, while the US played their last game in Ohio. It seems like they will be more acclimated than we are.
We're Canadian. It's in our bones! I don't care how long you've been away.

Old 01-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #3511
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I’m staying at the same hotel as the US team, seems like a great night for a loud party
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 04:35 PM   #3512
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487559683447603208
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 05:39 PM   #3513
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I’m staying at the same hotel as the US team, seems like a great night for a loud party
I'll donate to this cause
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 06:06 PM   #3514
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487591391647526916
Old 01-29-2022, 08:15 PM   #3515
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like Weah can't get into Canada:

Quote:
USMNT midfielder Tim Weah didn't accompany the team to Hamilton, Ontario, and will miss Sunday's World Cup qualifier against Canada due to his vaccination status not meeting the country's entry requirements, manager Gregg Berhalter said on Saturday.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...ination-status
DeanOMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #3516
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post

If you aren’t pulling multiple fire alarms, are you even a fan of Canada?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #3517
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else a nervous wreck for this match today?

Really hoping for at least a draw. Feeling less confident than I was against Honduras but that result takes some of the pressure off today.

Let’s hope CofR can whip those good for nothing Forge fans into a frenzy and make it a hostile place!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:50 AM   #3518
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Anyone else a nervous wreck for this match today?

Really hoping for at least a draw. Feeling less confident than I was against Honduras but that result takes some of the pressure off today.

Let’s hope CofR can whip those good for nothing Forge fans into a frenzy and make it a hostile place!

Not that nervous, confident of this Canadian team and the system they employ. Also I'd be much more nervous if Canada were heading into this game in 4th or 5th instead of 1st.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #3519
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What genius scheduled this match head to head against the AFC Championship game? Way to grow the game.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #3520
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, football > gridiron.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: