Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #1161
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll throw this out there to stir a little debate but....how about eliminating overtime in the regular season? Might mean more ties, but also might mean teams try more to win in regulation if they can't rely on OT.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:27 PM   #1162
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing NFL coaches they’d then play for the tie.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #1163
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'll throw this out there to stir a little debate but....how about eliminating overtime in the regular season? Might mean more ties, but also might mean teams try more to win in regulation if they can't rely on OT.
Not sure how well that would work for two reasons:

1. Americans do not like ties. All their major sports have provisions to determine a winner in every game. It's hard to see a league moving away from this.

2. NFL (and coaches in particular) don't play to win, they play not to lose. Maybe that's changed or at least it's begun to change recently with analytics but I also don't see teams taking extra 'risk' to try and win when they can take the safe road and tie. Unless you get late in the season and playoff scenarios come into play.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #1164
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But teams don't even play for overtime now. Even McVay, who is horribly conservative, played to win on Sunday even as he had a known pick-six machine as his QB. I think as the Chargers-Raiders game this year showed we underestimate how competitive these guys are and how much they want to win and not just "not lose". And I do think end of game situations would be played out different, I don't see a team down three just saying lets just kick a FG and tie. If you know your options are tie or win, that teams will always try and win. A FG would be the fallback instead of now where it's the first priority.

The biggest reason it would never happen is gambling, not the fans not being cool with ties. We deal with ties every year now it seems (more so since the 10 minute OT started) and no one is saying make OT the college shootout so we avoid ties.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:45 PM   #1165
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

21% of OT games since the rules were changed have ended on 1st possession touchdowns.
But in the playoffs isn't it 63.6 or 7 out of 11. Granted that's a small sample size. But Generally in the playoffs with better teams it's likely those are teams who are good enough on offence to drive the ball and score. At this time there's no good reason for a team to win the OT coin toss and defer.

Which is why I wonder if you had no kickoff and the team with the ball first started with second down and 10, or the first down to gain was a first and 20 it forces the team who get's the ball first with the chance to keep the ball away from the other team to give up something of value for that opportunity.

Having games that go on forever isn't really the answer, but I think making it so that there is a bit of thought into taking the ball, or opting to let your opponent having is would add something. At least force the team who get's the ball first to do something a bit extraordinary to score that game ending T.D.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #1166
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
What about first to 8? If you give up a TD and a two point conversion or a TD and a FG, you deserve to lose.
I would actually be okay with something like this - you have to go for 2 and if you don’t get it, the other team gets a chance to answer.

But if you hang 8 on a team after going 80 yards, you deserve to give your defense a break.

That’s part of the benefit of not giving both sides a shot. It’s a bonus for winning the game.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #1167
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
But in the playoffs isn't it 63.6 or 7 out of 11. Granted that's a small sample size. But Generally in the playoffs with better teams it's likely those are teams who are good enough on offence to drive the ball and score. At this time there's no good reason for a team to win the OT coin toss and defer.

Which is why I wonder if you had no kickoff and the team with the ball first started with second down and 10, or the first down to gain was a first and 20 it forces the team who get's the ball first with the chance to keep the ball away from the other team to give up something of value for that opportunity.

Having games that go on forever isn't really the answer, but I think making it so that there is a bit of thought into taking the ball, or opting to let your opponent having is would add something. At least force the team who get's the ball first to do something a bit extraordinary to score that game ending T.D.
11 playoff OT games since last rule change, 10 times winner of coin toss has won.
As every extra play is so potentially dangerous, and those are the results, may as well just flip for it, maybe?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:09 PM   #1168
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mahomes trashy gf or wife or whoever sprayed chiefs fans with champagne after winning from her luxury box. What an absolute tool. Go Bengals!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #1169
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Mahomes trashy gf or wife or whoever sprayed chiefs fans with champagne after winning from her luxury box. What an absolute tool. Go Bengals!
Chiefs fans donated tens of thousands to Josh Allen's Patricia Allen Fund, which benefits the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo.

Go Chiefs!
Old 01-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #1170
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever notice how Nobody laments Matt Ryan not getting an extra shot at the end of 28-3?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #1171
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Chiefs fans donated tens of thousands to Josh Allen's Patricia Allen Fund, which benefits the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo.

Go Chiefs!
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ldren-hospital
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:05 PM   #1172
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Ever notice how Nobody laments Matt Ryan not getting an extra shot at the end of 28-3?
It was a huge talk at the time. At least in my circles. But there are obvious reasons why it isn’t a discussion point.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #1173
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
11 playoff OT games since last rule change, 10 times winner of coin toss has won.
As every extra play is so potentially dangerous, and those are the results, may as well just flip for it, maybe?
7 of those 10 scored on the first drive. So there is 3 out of 4 times where the coin toss loser got the ball back only needing a field goal and couldn't get that done. Again a small sample size but I would have expected that to be closer to 3 out of 4 being able to score on their first possession.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #1174
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
To me that seems like a bit more a kick a guy in the nuts when he's on the ground donation.

The original gesture to thank Daulton for helping the Bills make the playoffs seems to have a different spirit. You're giving gratitude to someone who helped you achieve something when they had no real direct benefit.

But when you donate to Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen because you just beat them directly, it's not the nice guy look. It would be like Bengal fans giving $8 donations to Ryan Tannehill. I'm sure the charity likes it, but it would have to annoy him. Whereas if Steelers fans raised money for Daneil Carlsson kicking a Field Goal that let them in the playoffs he'd like that more than Brandon Staley would enjoy getting $3 donations for calling the time out.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #1175
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
To me that seems like a bit more a kick a guy in the nuts when he's on the ground donation.

The original gesture to thank Daulton for helping the Bills make the playoffs seems to have a different spirit. You're giving gratitude to someone who helped you achieve something when they had no real direct benefit.

But when you donate to Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen because you just beat them directly, it's not the nice guy look. It would be like Bengal fans giving $8 donations to Ryan Tannehill. I'm sure the charity likes it, but it would have to annoy him. Whereas if Steelers fans raised money for Daneil Carlsson kicking a Field Goal that let them in the playoffs he'd like that more than Brandon Staley would enjoy getting $3 donations for calling the time out.
Donating to defeated quarterback’s local children’s hospital in a trollish amount should become a regular thing.

The fans get to twist the knife, and if you’re going to do that anyway, you may as well do it in a way that benefits sick children.

Josh Allen, not wanting to lose face in front of the home team, can double the donation. Or quintuple it, whatever - he’s worth a quarter Bill now. Really, that can go for any QB this happens to, the average salary now being like $35M and all.

Much better than the stupid bets the opposing mayors make.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-26-2022 at 02:57 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #1176
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a few days now and still gutted. Especially since I think the Bills would've absolutely rolled to a Super Bowl if they could've hung on in that one. So disappointed they had a year from last year's debacle to try and figure out a better way to stop KC and the answer was once again to get into a shootout with Mahomes. It's never a very good strategy, even when you have Allen playing a monster game like he did, the one guy in the league that can out-monster him is on the other side.

Oh well, there will be next year. I'm sure we'll see them in the playoffs again.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #1177
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well Championship Sunday is here.

#4 Cincinnati at #2 Kansas City (-7) Total 54.5
1:00 Mountain Time, kick off Forecast 6°C, clear, and little wind

From what I can tell the side here is pretty even with Cinci maybe seeing a bit more money. In some places the line has gone to -7.5, so if you can still get that and want to back the Bengals jump on it. 10% of games do end up with the favorite winning by 7 points. Over 54.5 is the most public play of the 4 side/total options for the weekend.

The two teams played in week 17 with Cincinnati coming back for a 34-31 win. So the Bengals know they can beat the Chiefs. But in recent history the Chiefs always lose in Cincinatti and have tended to win big in Arrowhead. If the Bengals can get Chase in good matchups and Daniel Sorenson has to play a lot of snaps, than he could put up 200 yards again. But I think Cincinnati will want to try and control things and avoid falling behind again. Similarly I think the Chiefs will also run some longer drives too knowing the Bengals big play ability. I think the Bengals cover, and it comes in under the 54.5 total...I just hope the Chiefs win this one outright.

#6 San Francisco at #4 Los Angeles Rams (-3.5) Total 45.5
4:30 Mountain Time, Indoors at SoFi Stadium

In this one the public had not been too strong on either side with the Niners having a bit of an edge as the public dog. The public also appears to be backing under the total as the game did start out at around 47.

2 of the last 3 NFC reps in the Superbowl meetup for the 3rd time this season with the 49'ers having won both matchups. Well known that the 49'ers have won 6 straight against the Rams. The 49'er defense has been the best of the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs having held Dallas to 17 points and Throw Rogan and the Packers to a measly 10. The Rams looked unbeatable thru their first 6 and a half quarters outscoring their opponents 61-14, and 41-3 in first halfs. But than Brady seemed to conjure up some sort of Voodoo that resulted in the Rams needing a last minute Field Goal to get out of Tampa despite being up 24 points with about 22 minutes left in the game. The last meeting between these two saw the Rams out to a 17-0 lead...maybe bet big on the Rams to be up at the half. The QB battle is interesting as Stafford has been good in these playoffs and Jimmy G really has not. But Jimmy G has been here before and Stafford has not.

I'm going to be a fool and be on the Public side predicting that the 49'ers do as 14 of 22 teams before them have and win the third matchup after winning the first two. San Francisco wins 21-17 on a last minute T.D. Drive. Although I don't think I would bet the under here...this might be that crazy game that looks like it will go under all day, only to have the 4th quarter double up the total to get it over. That Chiefs and Bills game that had 78 points...very well may have ended up under if Buffalo doesn't get that TD on 4th and 13. That play essentially resulted in 31 points added to the total whereas if it doesn't go that way, the game may have ended 26-21 and well under. So maybe this game is like that only that the team down 21-17 scores a TD to make it 24-21, than the other teams drives to for a TD to make it 27-24 and screws up the extra point which results in a 27-27 game and final of 33-27. At which point the 60 point total looks like it went way over, but was very close to ending at 38.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 01-30-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 11:54 AM   #1178
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping for a Cinci win today. I think that Cinci vs either NFC team will be a much more interesting Super Bowl than KC.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #1179
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tend to think the exact opposite. The Bengals can't protect Burrow and the Niners and Rams both have elite pass rushes. I think Burrow dies in a Super Bowl against them, assuming he doesn't die today against a very good Chiefs pass rush. Bengals really need a great gameplan to win today, whether it's leaning run or lots of quick passes. They also need Burrow to step up and take four yard sacks and not 12 yard sacks, and to throw the ball away instead of hanging onto it hoping to make something happen. Of course, they can play a perfect game today and then Mahomes happens and that's that. If there's one thing Mahomes provides more than any other QB it's a bigger margin for error from his team.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #1180
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obvious DPI against KC not called. Ho hum, another Sunday in the NFL.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post: