Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #1181
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
For the 66 time, ir telling you about NHL streams.
This has been my go-to when I can't access through SNNOW but I get a really choppy feed and poor resolution when I chromecast it to my TV.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #1182
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. It's been working great for me this year using Apple Airplay.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #1183
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the entire football game on TSN through my chromecast last night

sportsnet now always funking blows, Mario's site works better lol

I have basic cables plus SN just for the Flames, cutting the cable totally would be nice but at what cost. Maybe some day but I am not willing to sacrifice reliability of Flames games
Old 11-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #1184
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurFish View Post
How do either of those service's for watching games delayed (either the next day, or starting the game mid-way through it's occurrence)? I am frequently watching the game on a delay and have struggled to find a subscription service that can accommodate this properly - particularly if the delay is only 1 hour or so such that the live event is still streaming.

If I could figure out how to sort this out then I would truly have no need for cable any more, but the ability to PVR flames games and watch delayed is what's kept me with Shaw.

Watching delayed games is not much of an issue except the damn score summary when not in full screen. They show the active score not the score relating to your delayed time in the game. So stupid. If someone knows how to disable that on NHL TV please let me know as I have yet to find a way.

Beside that I some times have the stream stop even though I’m and hour or two behind when the game ends and I have to refresh the page. Annoying but not a huge deal.

I just switched to this from Shaw centre ice for this season and it is ok I guess. True per is better but I am rarely home so watching on the laptop with NHL TV works.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #1185
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurFish View Post
How do either of those service's for watching games delayed (either the next day, or starting the game mid-way through it's occurrence)? I am frequently watching the game on a delay and have struggled to find a subscription service that can accommodate this properly - particularly if the delay is only 1 hour or so such that the live event is still streaming.

If I could figure out how to sort this out then I would truly have no need for cable any more, but the ability to PVR flames games and watch delayed is what's kept me with Shaw.
NHL.tv supports this. When you go to watch any game, you have the option to start the game live or start from the beginning of the game (and then navigate to where you want to start). Can be done during the game or any time after the game has already finished.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 11:59 PM   #1186
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have one of the newest Chromecasts with Google TV (this one) and have any comments on if the hardware in it is up to snuff?

I ask because I saw some discussion on reddit about it going on sale for Black Friday and the comments really surprised me. People said things like apps crash all the time, it's not really power enough for Disney+, you can only install a few apps before it completely fills up.

I had plans to get one or more if they do go on sale and had only ever heard good things, but now I'm not as sure.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #1187
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Does anyone have one of the newest Chromecasts with Google TV (this one) and have any comments on if the hardware in it is up to snuff?

I ask because I saw some discussion on reddit about it going on sale for Black Friday and the comments really surprised me. People said things like apps crash all the time, it's not really power enough for Disney+, you can only install a few apps before it completely fills up.

I had plans to get one or more if they do go on sale and had only ever heard good things, but now I'm not as sure.
I have it. Haven't had any issues. I don't have Disney+ but have Netflix, Crave, Amazon, NHL, DAZN. I don't use it for Stadia or anything like that, just streaming. Works fine for me.

Main complaint would be the front page is pretty useless in terms of what it surfaces as things to watch. Lots of 'but/rent' through Google or Tubi options that I don't use.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #1188
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got a couple Chromecasts w/ Google TV. Works well for me as a Plex client or for streaming DAZN, Disney, Apple TV, Netflix etc.

The only performance hitches I've seen are in the Google TV home screen when you first start it up, but that happens on my Nvidia Shield too, so I think it might be more of a software problem than anything.

All in all, I'm really happy with the Chromecasts for the price.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 12:40 PM   #1189
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Sportsnet Now has been pretty bad lately, more than at any point since the start of the NHL season. No streams are hitting 60 fps and I've been checking all sorts of settings and resetting my router. Every other streaming service on the Shield has been running great, so I'm blaming Sportsnet, and their support is awful.

I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription after the season is over. I'll probably start researching other options once that happens.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #1190
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Sportsnet Now has been pretty bad lately, more than at any point since the start of the NHL season. No streams are hitting 60 fps and I've been checking all sorts of settings and resetting my router. Every other streaming service on the Shield has been running great, so I'm blaming Sportsnet, and their support is awful.

I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription after the season is over. I'll probably start researching other options once that happens.
NHL.tv (+ VPN for Flames games) is far superior
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2022, 12:58 AM   #1191
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
For the 66 time, ir telling you about NHL streams.
Have you been able to add ir to PLEX?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #1192
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
NHL.tv (+ VPN for Flames games) is far superior
I forgot to circle back earlier, but thank you for this - the NHL app on the Shield is a flawless 60 fps and looks great. Hopefully Sportsnet gets their act together soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #1193
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I've got a couple Chromecasts w/ Google TV. Works well for me as a Plex client or for streaming DAZN, Disney, Apple TV, Netflix etc.

The only performance hitches I've seen are in the Google TV home screen when you first start it up, but that happens on my Nvidia Shield too, so I think it might be more of a software problem than anything.

All in all, I'm really happy with the Chromecasts for the price.
I like it too. I somehow had it hooked directly into my TV at first, but the sound and overall quality seems better when it's hooked into my receiver (which is what I should have done in the first place).
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #1194
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

After using TSN Direct to watch the Scotties I have to say I'm pretty disappointed about what $20 a month buys. As a positive, the live stream quality on PC is pretty good. On the downside, the overall device support is pretty spotty and lower quality than PC, the navigation for live and video on demand is pretty bad, and the video on demand quality is downright pathetic - 540p at 30 fps? Really?
Old 01-03-2024, 03:34 PM   #1195
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any updated recommendations for Android TV Box?
Old 01-03-2024, 10:11 PM   #1196
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any updated recommendations for Android TV Box?
Nvidia Shield is still the best. Google Chromecast TV if you don't want to spend that much
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 09:10 AM   #1197
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

We mostly use Amazon Firesticks. They are also good, but Google TV much better for casting to from any device.
If they are available up there, the onn streaming box (2023 model) is by far the best $15- 20 (USD) you will ever spend on a streaming device, unless Dolby Vision/Atmos is a dealbreaker (it is HDR10). I bought one for $14.98 black friday

https://www.techhive.com/article/197...23-review.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 07:58 PM   #1198
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you load Kodi on that thing?

My Channel Master is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:18 PM   #1199
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Can you load Kodi on that thing?

My Channel Master is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Kodi can be installed on any Google/Android TV streaming box, or the TV directly if it runs Android
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 12:15 AM   #1200
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I should have made it clear that the onn streamer is Google TV. It's a great budget streamer
Just another review
https://www.androidpolice.com/onn-go...ng-box-review/
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: