Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #2281
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Chatting with my father last night he raised a point I hadn't considered.

Background: I'm the kind of person that doesn't care what kind of car he drives, so long as it's reliable. I'll drive a car until its no longer economical to repair. I love not having a car payment. Currently I'm driving a 2009 Honda Accord, probably 260,000 clicks on it and no issues at all.

The question my father raised is two fold: (1) how long are you going to keep the car, and (2) do you want to want to spend the money on Blizzaks/Ice tires the intention is to get rid of the car before they're worn out?

Both good questions.

Being a Not A Car Guy, I don't know how much longer I should expect the Accord to last and if its reasonable to put a long lasting tire on it rather than a cheaper winter tire.
If the tire outlasts the car, then you can always part it out and sell it independently of the car.

The Accord probably would still last you for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 15-20 years as long as it is reasonably well maintained (ie: On time oil changes, fluid flushes/top up, spark plugs, brakes, fuel injector cleaner, maybe a couple hundred here and there for a minor thing here and there etc.). My current car is a 2007 Camry and I hate it. It's such a boring car to drive. I think I'd be in this car for another decade if I went with the "drive it into the ground" mentality. I'm thinking I'll sell/trade in in a few years for a new(er) car and that car will still be on the road for quite a few years after I no longer own it.

But if you are worried it's close to its last legs, I guess you could always take it to a mechanic and pay for an inspection (ie: in the same way you'd get a mechanic inspection if you were going to buy/insure a used car). That way for around $150-200 or whatever those inspections cost you'd get an idea/peace of mind about if there's anything major that might go relatively soon that would cause the car to stop running.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #2282
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Winter is not coming you are all fools.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #2283
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You know nothing, Jaune Snow.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #2284
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well we have had early snow the past few years either late September or early October. You can never rule out old man winter in Calgary.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #2285
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

how are blizzaks for road noise compared to michelin x ice? I have a set of x ice for the winter and bridgestone dueler for the summer and the road noise on the duelers is horrible but the michelins are much better.

It sounds like blizzaks are a better tire for snow/ice but if they are noisy I wouldnt want them
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #2286
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yep, wasn’t it last October we had at least a few inches several times by mid October.

#### it’s depressing typing that.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #2287
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had X-Ice Snow on the truck, they were very quiet.

Blizzaks are very loud.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #2288
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't gone back in the thread to look to far to see if anyone else has mentioned this but order your Winter tires early this year.

We have a shop and it has been very difficult to get all tires this year and our distributors are telling us the supply for winters is going to be a challenge.

If you need them i would get on it fairly quickly.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #2289
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I had X-Ice Snow on the truck, they were very quiet.

Blizzaks are very loud.
Deal breaker for me. I cant stand all the road noise on the duelers. The blizzaks are probably similar.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #2290
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

X-Ice is the quietest tire ever I wish such a compound was viable for summer driving. Nokian Hakkakapapappapeliitta's are great tires but damn they wore out fast for me. Great if you don't drive all that much.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #2291
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
X-Ice is the quietest tire ever I wish such a compound was viable for summer driving. Nokian Hakkakapapappapeliitta's are great tires but damn they wore out fast for me. Great if you don't drive all that much.
I quite liked the Nokia WRG All weather tires. I agree Nokian tires wear down fast and I agree if you don't drive a ton, they're excellent tires to have.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #2292
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I quite liked the Nokia WRG All weather tires. I agree Nokian tires wear down fast and I agree if you don't drive a ton, they're excellent tires to have.
Noisy as hell. We have them on my wife's Outback I find them almost unbearable for long drives. Good tire but awful road noise.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #2293
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Noisy as hell. We have them on my wife's Outback I find them almost unbearable for long drives. Good tire but awful road noise.
Strange, I didn't find road noise an issue with WRG3 on my old TL. That being said, I followed a guide online, bought some rubber seals and added seals to my TL to match the Acura putting triple seals of the newer cars like the TLX. Maybe that was a reason I didn't hear as much road noise?
Old 09-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #2294
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Michelin CrossClimate 2 and SUV are very good if you're looking for AW tires.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:51 PM   #2295
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Strange, I didn't find road noise an issue with WRG3 on my old TL. That being said, I followed a guide online, bought some rubber seals and added seals to my TL to match the Acura putting triple seals of the newer cars like the TLX. Maybe that was a reason I didn't hear as much road noise?
No idea and this is our second set and the only reason I stick with them is because I already have winter/summer wheels/stacked in the garage for my car and I don't want to do that for hers. You can get by with all seasons on an Outback in the winter but it's nowhere near as good as these. I think we are going to move on from this car in a year or so (whenever the industry gets back to a level or normalacy) otherwise I would look at the Michelin CrossClimates noted above by Shazam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #2296
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Canadian Tire has a sale on Michelin xIce Snow for $140 and Xi2 for $143 a tire, I found some 245 60r18
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered some Xi2 replacements for my vehicle. I was very happy with them, happy to order them again, good deal.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #2297
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Your post got under my skin but it the the UCP under yours. Can we not agree on that? I just don't think we need any political refences in threads that are not of the topic. Do you agree or not?
You're getting as worked up as Trudeau at a halloween party about all of this.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #2298
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got free winter tires at a UCP sponsored mask protest.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #2299
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I got free winter tires at a UCP sponsored mask protest.
3 of mine are stuck in Spain, but one made it out to a local rally.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #2300
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone looking to do their winter tires shopping early, Costco has 20% off tires today only, so pretty good deal going on. Ordering my Blizzaks today.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote