Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #2261
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How are blizzaks on a more “performance” car? I just ordered some Michelin pilot alpins (same as what I am replacing) and I found them a good tire that preserved the handling on my car through the winter. I don’t want to go to a tire that gives my car a squirmy feel, which I’ve had on some previous winters I’ve used.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #2262
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love the Pilot Alpins - see no reason to move off of them
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #2263
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
How are blizzaks on a more “performance” car? I just ordered some Michelin pilot alpins (same as what I am replacing) and I found them a good tire that preserved the handling on my car through the winter. I don’t want to go to a tire that gives my car a squirmy feel, which I’ve had on some previous winters I’ve used.
In my opinion Alpins and Conti WinterContact are the way to go if you're doing a lot of winter driving on dry roads in a performance car. I don't think they are a great choice if you only have one car, and I leave those tires in the garage on really dicey days.

I tried Pirelli Sottozeros as well. I didn't like them as much, but they came on the car so I never got to try them new.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #2264
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m looking to offload a set of X-ice i3s (245/40r18). They’re in good condition, only one season of commuter driving. Reason for sale is that the car they were for was stolen and they don’t fit our replacement.

If anyone is interested, let me know.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #2265
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I like the Michelins, that's what I run on mine.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #2266
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm leaning toward Michelin Ice Xi3s.

Any feedback on those or something equivalent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
We’ve run the Michelin X ice or blizzaks on our vehicles and I just choose whichever one is cheaper between the two when we order. I prefer the Michelin’s as they seem to wear a bit better than the blizzaks and still have great performance in ice and snow, but both have worked well for us.
On our 2014 Civic we switched from X-ice to Blizzaks this past winter. I found there was a night and day difference between the two- with the Blizzaks way ahead. On glare ice the X-ice seemed to be slightly better. However for all around winter driving conditions I found the Blizzaks to be much better. They just felt to be gripping better.

I have bought most of my tires online, but I also have a buddy who owns a shop so I can go in when it's slow or right at close and use the machines myself.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #2267
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
On our 2014 Civic we switched from X-ice to Blizzaks this past winter. I found there was a night and day difference between the two- with the Blizzaks way ahead. On glare ice the X-ice seemed to be slightly better. However for all around winter driving conditions I found the Blizzaks to be much better. They just felt to be gripping better.

I have bought most of my tires online, but I also have a buddy who owns a shop so I can go in when it's slow or right at close and use the machines myself.
100% exactly my experience, too. I did like how he framed the question, though (asking about performance cars specifically). If he's willing to sacrifice grip for performance then maybe the x-ices will be better because Blizzaks feel a bit wiggly versus the Michelens, but for me, I want the best grip and that's hands down the Blizzaks. Maybe for a guy that still wants to push the car a bit on the nice days when the pavement is dry he'll be happy with the x-ices, but I get kind of a thrill out of how awesome Blizzaks are on the crap days that I wouldn't trade that off ever again.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #2268
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
100% exactly my experience, too. I did like how he framed the question, though (asking about performance cars specifically). If he's willing to sacrifice grip for performance then maybe the x-ices will be better because Blizzaks feel a bit wiggly versus the Michelens, but for me, I want the best grip and that's hands down the Blizzaks. Maybe for a guy that still wants to push the car a bit on the nice days when the pavement is dry he'll be happy with the x-ices, but I get kind of a thrill out of how awesome Blizzaks are on the crap days that I wouldn't trade that off ever again.
You should try some Nokian Hakkapeliitta's if you get the chance. I've used all 3 on various vehicles, and I felt the same difference going from Blizzak to the Hakk's that I did from X-Ice to Blizzak
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #2269
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't Blizzak's still limited by the fact that only the 1st 50% of tread depth is the special MicroCell Compound, with the remainder a more standard all season compound? Might be a consideration if you rackup a lot of miles.

I have Hakka R2's and X-Ice on two different AWD vehicles. Somewhat of a unfair comparison given they're different cars, but I wouldn't say one is light years ahead of the other.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:54 AM   #2270
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Canadian Tire has a sale on Michelin xIce Snow for $140 and Xi2 for $143 a tire, I found some 245 60r18
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #2271
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Love the Pilot Alpins - see no reason to move off of them
In my experience Pilot Alpin PA4's have been perfectly fine for Calgary roads and are my favorite performance winter tire. Calgary roads are dry for the majority of winter and these tires offer very good dry performance with the benefit of not being as noisy as regular winter tires.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #2272
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Chatting with my father last night he raised a point I hadn't considered.

Background: I'm the kind of person that doesn't care what kind of car he drives, so long as it's reliable. I'll drive a car until its no longer economical to repair. I love not having a car payment. Currently I'm driving a 2009 Honda Accord, probably 260,000 clicks on it and no issues at all.

The question my father raised is two fold: (1) how long are you going to keep the car, and (2) do you want to want to spend the money on Blizzaks/Ice tires the intention is to get rid of the car before they're worn out?

Both good questions.

Being a Not A Car Guy, I don't know how much longer I should expect the Accord to last and if its reasonable to put a long lasting tire on it rather than a cheaper winter tire.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #2273
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can always sell a good set of winters with the car, or separately. It's easier to sell rims if they have good rubber on them that won't need to be replaced.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #2274
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winter tires are a no brainer almost irrespective of your plans for the car, since you'll effectively get double the lifespan on your all-seasons. Worst case you can sell and recoup some of the cost, but all it takes is one saved accident and they've paid for themselves multiple times over. Not even factoring in how it makes driving in the winter less stressful and slow/painful....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #2275
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Your tires are the only part of your car that is in contact with the sweet, sweet, stationary ground. Given winter driving is likely the most dangerous thing you'll do all year besides attending an indoor UCP supporter's event, spending on better winter tires makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #2276
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Capital Chev in the SE sells all their tires at cost and have always been the best deal I can find.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #2277
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Your tires are the only part of your car that is in contact with the sweet, sweet, stationary ground. Given winter driving is likely the most dangerous thing you'll do all year besides attending an indoor UCP supporter's event, spending on better winter tires makes a lot of sense.
Man you can really tell who the posters are that let politics get under their skin. Can you at least respect that in some threads we don't want to include that stuff?
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #2278
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This has always been my stance on winter tires. Why not spend a bit to equip yourself the best you can for the road conditions? Statistically, driving's probably one of the most dangerous things the average person does. And even not factoring the safety part involved, getting into fender benders suck. Winter tires (sans rims) run about $1K to $1.5K for at least 5 years. That's roughly a Netflix or Crave subscription.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #2279
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man you can really tell who the posters are that let politics get under their skin. Can you at least respect that in some threads we don't want to include that stuff?
Let's recap.

I make (an objectively hilarious (and factually correct)) joke.

You reply, upset.

Therefore, I am the one that lets things get under my skin.

Got it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #2280
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's recap.

I make (an objectively hilarious (and factually correct)) joke.

You reply, upset.

Therefore, I am the one that lets things get under my skin.

Got it.
Your post got under my skin but it the the UCP under yours. Can we not agree on that? I just don't think we need any political refences in threads that are not of the topic. Do you agree or not?