Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #1561
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Why not keep Gaudreau for another year and simply add a value winger who can score at a moderate pace. There are still some available.
A few reasons:

1. First and foremost, if you no longer believe Johnny Gaudreau can be your best offensive player in the playoffs, you have to trade him.

2. You have a unique opportunity to replace Gaudreau with a recent Hart trophy winner for nothing but money.

3. Gaudreau’s contract makes him more than just a rental for the acquiring team, and allows you to add an extra blue chip prospect or pick to the system.

Now, if you believe Johnny can elevate and find that next Kane level, don’t trade him.

If you believe you can keep him past two years, definitely keep him.

If not, make the best of the situation. Gaudreau to Hall is at worst a lateral move.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #1562
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I heard he was waiting on a team or teams to clear cap space for him. There’s a couple teams that fit that bill, including Calgary.
Teams can go over the cap by 8.3 million. Which team is making Hall wait to sign while they clear cap? You sign hall then clear cap space.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #1563
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sign Brian Boyle and Jesper Fast for 3-3.25m total, move Ryan for the best pick possible. Fill the rest of the roster with 700-850k and I believe the math works out.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #1564
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Teams can go over the cap by 8.3 million. Which team is making Hall wait to sign while they clear cap? You sign hall then clear cap space.
Don’t ask me - ask Hall.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #1565
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Too risky. Then you are dealing from a position of weakness and other GMs will know.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #1566
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Possible but not a preferred route. You will have very little leverage when you have to make a trade to clear space, you will be in a spot where you likely have to take less or add a sweetener to get a deal done.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #1567
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I highly doubt the Flames view Kylington as a top pairing D man, they've done everything in their power to keep him out of the line-up Lol (Gustafsson, Forbort, Fantenberg etc)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #1568
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And put yourself over a barrel to eliminate any possibility of getting decent value for your guy. Look at Tampa literally giving Tyler Johnson away, or Vegas with Fleury. Obviously you don't wait forever, but if Hall is willing to hold off a day or two to give you a chance to get a better deal for the salary you are moving; you do it.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #1569
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
And put yourself over a barrel to eliminate any possibility of getting decent value for your guy. Look at Tampa literally giving Tyler Johnson away, or Vegas with Fleury. Obviously you don't wait forever, but if Hall is willing to hold off a day or two to give you a chance to get a better deal for the salary you are moving; you do it.

Or they are simply talking to several teams and are evaluating.

That would be my guess,
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #1570
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Too risky. Then you are dealing from a position of weakness and other GMs will know.
Maybe.

If you’re a GM of another team and the Flames have a player they are willing to part with and you want that player, then it makes no difference. Especially if there are more than one team interested.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #1571
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't followed in about 16 hours. Have there been any legit trade rumours surrounding the Flames?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #1572
woolymammoth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I highly doubt the Flames view Kylington as a top pairing D man, they've done everything in their power to keep him out of the line-up Lol (Gustafsson, Forbort, Fantenberg etc)

interesting negative take.. I wonder if they were just giving him time to develop more? Theres an awful lot of hate around here for a 23yo defenseman that has shown decent offensive ability and has good wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to woolymammoth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #1573
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think the Flames go after Hall just due to the $ amount and the position he plays unless Johnny gets traded this year which I don't see happening.

My gut tells me the Flames will go hard after Toffoli. They have been linked to him countless times in the past, he plays RW, only 28, can score big goals and I think he would compliment the top 2 lines very nicely, plus he won't cost you 8+ mil like Hall would. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #1574
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
I don't think the Flames go after Hall just due to the $ amount and the position he plays unless Johnny gets traded this year which I don't see happening.

My gut tells me the Flames will go hard after Toffoli. They have been linked to him countless times in the past, he plays RW, only 28, can score big goals and I think he would compliment the top 2 lines very nicely, plus he won't cost you 8+ mil like Hall would. Just my 2 cents.
Plus we've already signed 2 Canucks. 3rd times the charm.
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #1575
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
No...he did that to himself with his play.

BT wasn't dealing picks for rental Dmen just so Kylington couldn't play...there were red flags everywhere on him last year and although he was with the team almost all season, the coaching staff saw enough in games and practice that they simply couldn't trust him. Hence spending assets they really would have liked to keep.

Im guessing they had a pretty lengthy chat with him at exit interviews and told him what he needed to work on if he wants to stay past this season.

Hopefully he figures it out as it would really solve a problem but at this point the team cant rely on that until he proves them wrong. I wouldnt be holding my breath on that though.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #1576
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
Possible but not a preferred route. You will have very little leverage when you have to make a trade to clear space, you will be in a spot where you likely have to take less or add a sweetener to get a deal done.
I just don’t believe it.

Hey Taylor, yeah we’d love to have you on the team, you’d be a perfect fit, yeah I know there are 15 other teams trying really hard to get you to, do you mind just holding off and not signing anywhere for a couple days because even though we have space technically I don’t want anyone to know we need to make cap room.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #1577
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I just don’t believe it.

Hey Taylor, yeah we’d love to have you on the team, you’d be a perfect fit, yeah I know there are 15 other teams trying really hard to get you to, do you mind just holding off and not signing anywhere for a couple days because even though we have space technically I don’t want anyone to know we need to make cap room.
Maybe you missed this part of the rumor, but the team needing to shed was said to be his preferred destination.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #1578
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
because then we are moving into Gaudreau's final contract year where he has some trade protection, why not be a proactively managed team for once?

The other big question is - is Tree okay with his two top forwards being Monahan and Gaudreau again, can they get it done when it comes to playoff time?
Forgot about the NTC kicking in.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #1579
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Forgot about the NTC kicking in.
Both the trade deadline and the draft happen before the NTC kicks in, lots of time to make a move later.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #1580
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We have 3 D pairings. Kylington doesn’t need to be a top pairing D-man.
Closed Thread