Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #7641
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Very apt for Canada too, and why Canadians should be so concerned with Trudeau (and for that matter why Albertans should be so concerned with Kenney).
Honestly, just about every government in my life has been embroiled in very comparable scandals.

A lot of the problems you see in Canada is related to partisanship, people become so certain that they hold a moral high ground because they villainize the morality of their opponents. When you have absolute clarity and certainty that you hold the moral high ground it justifies taking short cuts. That seems to generally be what happens in Canada. Kenny "knows" to admit oil extraction is a problem for the climate would destroy our way of life, so he "knows" he needs to fight against that narrative, and he "knows" that he needs his buddy who have seen the light just like him, and he "knows" is buddy would only do it for $200K/an, so it's OK to save our very way of life he is going to short cut the process and hire his buddy to a position that has never been needed.

What Trump and McConnel have done is very different, it has been about gathering and controlling power. These guys don't have some moral principal they are trying to defend, it is simply about controlling the leavers of power to whatever ends benefit them at the time.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #7642
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vanity Fair article quoted can be Googled easily enough. Kushner basically said that Cuomo did not try hard enough to get what the New Yorkers needed, and that now they are going to suffer, and that is there problem.

I think the worse thing he said though is that if states want help from the federal government, that they need to change their policies to support the president. Basically, if they don’t support Trump, who cares if they die.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-25-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #7643
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing to add to the Naughty List:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1320357043442749441

Quote:
A federal health agency halted a public-service coronavirus advertising campaign funded by $250 million in taxpayer money after it offered a special vaccine deal to an unusual set of essential workers: Santa Claus performers.

As part of the plan, a top Trump administration official wanted the Santa performers to promote the benefits of a Covid-19 vaccination and, in exchange, offered them early vaccine access ahead of the general public, according to audio recordings. Those who perform as Mrs. Claus and elves also would have been included.

The Department of Health and Human Services said Friday the Santa plan would be scrapped. The deal was the brainchild of the official, Michael Caputo, an HHS assistant secretary, who took a 60-day medical leave last month. The rest of the campaign now is under an HHS review.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #7644
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
No offence.

When I see “this, this, this, this”, I expect a succinct point, and you have a link to a 57 minute video. And no commentary. No effort to direct people to the key point.

Most people see posts and don’t expect to invest an hour

Although you have god as part of your user name, so maybe your word is enough for some of your followers

TLDR; you had 57 minutes to actually watch this, and felt so passionate to share it that all you can offer is 4 X “this”?
Oh god. This board sometimes.....

No offense, but your post comes across as looking for a reason to complain for the sake of complaining.

It's a video. Watch the first minute or two to get the gist of what the video is about, then make your own assessment on whether or not you want to invest more time watching it. No one is obliging you to watch the whole thing.

As for the snarky comment, coming at me on a personal level for some reason... not sure what to say there other than it seems like you got upset simply because I posted a video.

I didn't type out an explanation of what was in the video is because of two reasons, first, because I didn't think it was necessary (it's easy enough to click on the video and listen to it), and second, because Obama's deconstruction of the Trump presidency was so well worded and beautifully delivered that I didn't feel like I needed to add anything.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #7645
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy, oh boy. Just watched the 60 Minutes interview with Trump that he abruptly walks out of. Many people have commented over the last 3 years why reporters don't hold Trump to account when he lies by calling him out when he lies and pushing until he provides an answer, but poor Leslie Stahl (the interviewer) clearly tries throughout the interview but it seems impossible to do.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #7646
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I apologize in advance.

This dumb woman interviewing Joe Biden is ####ing ######ed. Half her questions are “Donald trump says...” like stfu and ask some good questions.

Joe: I’d like to get rid of Trumps tax cuts on Americans making over $400k/yr.

Stupid woman: do you really think it’s a good idea to raise taxes on hardworking Americans during an economic crisis though?

Jesus Christ woman are you listening?

Even the Trump questions were bad. These are embarrassingly oversimplified tabloid questions.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #7647
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Boy, oh boy. Just watched the 60 Minutes interview with Trump that he abruptly walks out of. Many people have commented over the last 3 years why reporters don't hold Trump to account when he lies by calling him out when he lies and pushing until he provides an answer, but poor Leslie Stahl (the interviewer) clearly tries throughout the interview but it seems impossible to do.

I think it depends on the reporter. That Australian journalist Jonathan Swan did a pretty good job of calling out Trump's bulls**t right to his face a couple of months back, and Trump was definitely rattled during that interview.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #7648
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Another thing to add to the Naughty List:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1320357043442749441
I think, in terms of getting people to vaccinate when one is available, this is actually a pretty good form of marketing. The kind of word-of-mouth that would result from every mall-santa in America touting the benefits of vaccination would be great.

If this were one more aspect of a well-thought-out response to the Covid crisis, I think a lot of people would see it the same way.

As it is, it comes across as another hare-brained scheme from the warren of self-serving morons Trump brought into office. Classic case of Trump having poisoned his own well so badly that even ideas which could work end up looking stupid for coming out of his White House.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #7649
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Biden has a better chance in Texas than Trump does in Pennsylvania. The Dems should pick a day and blitz Texas next week. Biden and all the surrogates. Joe in Dallas, Barack in Houston, Kamala in Austin, Pete in San Antonio. It’s Texas, go big!

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-has-b...lvania-1541967
Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #7650
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

Still can't lift a small glass of water with one hand..18:20
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #7651
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Biden has a better chance in Texas than Trump does in Pennsylvania. The Dems should pick a day and blitz Texas next week. Biden and all the surrogates. Joe in Dallas, Barack in Houston, Kamala in Austin, Pete in San Antonio. It’s Texas, go big!

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-has-b...lvania-1541967
That is how you lose an election...Biden doesn't need Texas. Don't spend your final week in a state where you have under a 40% chance of winning just to be cocky. 100% of time should be devoted to converting the leaning dem states to firm dem states.

Last edited by dino7c; 10-25-2020 at 07:07 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #7652
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Still can't lift a small glass of water with one hand..18:20
lol... it's such a weird quirk or something like Parkinson's developing. I've caught myself doing weird things drinking out of a glass over the years that's made me a little self aware when drinking. Pinky finger sticking out randomly, tongue sticking out to meet the glass... but I've never had to bring in a second hand for help unless it is like a 32 oz beer mug.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #7653
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
lol... it's such a weird quirk or something like Parkinson's developing. I've caught myself doing weird things drinking out of a glass over the years that's made me a little self aware when drinking. Pinky finger sticking out randomly, tongue sticking out to meet the glass... but I've never had to bring in a second hand for help unless it is like a 32 oz beer mug.
I've never really thought about it before, but a lot of Trump's random physical struggles remind me exactly of things my somewhat elderly neighbor would do before they acknowledged he had Parkinson's.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #7654
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I question whether any of the stops mean anything anymore from a location perspective. You aren't going to draw big crowds and excitement due to covid. Hammering the message will involve more social media presence, podcasts, and on streaming services. I think you push hard with dollars and focused advertising not on sending Biden to visit Texans.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #7655
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I question whether any of the stops mean anything anymore from a location perspective. You aren't going to draw big crowds and excitement due to covid. Hammering the message will involve more social media presence, podcasts, and on streaming services. I think you push hard with dollars and focused advertising not on sending Biden to visit Texans.
True. But I can't foresee any realistic scenario playing out where Texas decides the winner. If Biden wins Texas, it is the difference between 360 and 400 electoral votes. Also the oil remarks in the debate killed Biden's chance of sneaking out a Texas victory.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #7656
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering more if the stops begin to coincide with the election of Senators and the like. Places where voters need a little push on a more local scale.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #7657
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I apologize in advance.

This dumb woman interviewing Joe Biden is ####ing ######ed. Half her questions are “Donald trump says...” like stfu and ask some good questions.

Joe: I’d like to get rid of Trumps tax cuts on Americans making over $400k/yr.

Stupid woman: do you really think it’s a good idea to raise taxes on hardworking Americans during an economic crisis though?

Jesus Christ woman are you listening?

Even the Trump questions were bad. These are embarrassingly oversimplified tabloid questions.
I got the sense that she wanted to catch Harris making a mistake with some of her questions but Harris is too smart to fall into the traps. I also feel like Harris wasn't a fan of her through some of her responses.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #7658
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
True. But I can't foresee any realistic scenario playing out where Texas decides the winner. If Biden wins Texas, it is the difference between 360 and 400 electoral votes. Also the oil remarks in the debate killed Biden's chance of sneaking out a Texas victory.
No they didn't...polling is pretty much exactly the same, Biden with a slight gain

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...general/texas/

People just assume every Texan is a short fat guy with a cowboy hat and a gun in each hand
Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #7659
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
No they didn't...polling is pretty much exactly the same, Biden with a slight gain

People just assume every Texan is a short fat guy with a cowboy hat and a gun in each hand
What does that link prove? The only polls that have any data after the debate show Trump up.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #7660
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Yeah, and I think Texans might be more likely to consider Biden's whole answer... which was to the question of how you deal with communities and families living close to oil refineries and other large-scale industrial facilities. There are a lot of people in Texas who empathize with that side of the equation (and some people with both sides of the equation). Biden knocked his answer on that out of the park both with his knowledge of the issue and his empathy, while Trump could only mumble that if they lived near a refinery they probably had high-paying jobs. It's a much more complicated issue than the 'phase out oil' soundbite would suggest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread