Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #141
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dont think Gaudreau is worth tons more than Wheeler, even factoring in age. Wheeler is a beast, I know who I would rather go to war with in a 7 game playoff series, age, contract, whatever. Im not sure the Jets would even accept Wheeler for Gaudreau one for one unless they are hurting for cash
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #142
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
I dont think Gaudreau is worth tons more than Wheeler, even factoring in age. Wheeler is a beast, I know who I would rather go to war with in a 7 game playoff series, age, contract, whatever. Im not sure the Jets would even accept Wheeler for Gaudreau one for one unless they are hurting for cash
Wheeler has 399 pts in 398 gp over the last 5 seasons.
Gaudreau has 380 in 383gp.

Wheeler is also 27pts in 27gp in the playoffs during that span, compared to Johnny's 10 in 19.

And then there's the whole two-way thing. I think I'd probably still prefer Wheeler on the last two years of his deal compared to Gaudreau on the first two years of his next one.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:53 PM   #143
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Wheeler has 399 pts in 398 gp over the last 5 seasons.

Gaudreau has 380 in 383gp.

Wheeler is also 27pts in 27gp in the playoffs during that span, compared to Johnny's 10 in 19.

And then there's the whole two-way thing. I think I'd probably still prefer Wheeler on the last two years of his deal compared to Gaudreau on the first two years of his next one.
Wheeler is just as productive but can actually do things other than score. It's crazy how good Wheeler looks at his age still, a true physical and skilled specimen. He's exactly the type of forward we lack.

There's also the matter of how good Wheeler is in the playoffs while Gaudreau consistently looks like an overmatched 3rd liner there.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #144
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing the last 5 years is fine, it is what it is. But leaving it at that is ridiculous.

Wheeler is 34, Gaudreau is 27. What do you think the NEXT 5 years are going to look like? And, while I am not a GM, I am fairly sure that one can't acquire the last 5 years' production, only the next 5.

So let's look at the next 4 years (the length of Wheeler's contract). What do you think Wheeler will produce over that period (being his 34 thru 37 YO seasons)?

And what do you think Gaudreau will produce (being in his prime over that period)?

Wheeler will cost $33M over those 4 years.

Gaudreau will cost $13.5M for the 1st 2, so he will need to get bumped to $9.5M per year, in order to cost as much as Wheeler. The only way Gaudreau is getting $9.5Mpy is if he goes back to scoring 90+ pts per year. And if he does that, he is obviously way more valuable than Wheeler.

The only argument you can make to compare Wheeler's value favourably to Gaudreau's, is to assume that Gaudreau is basically done as a player. And even if you do that, he's STILL more valuable than Wheeler because he will be way cheaper (because Wheeler will also have no value in a couple years)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #145
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The really funny thing is watching this discussion move into a Wheeler vs Gaudreau discussion.

That clearly was never the intent.

Ricardo looking for gloom was suggesting Gaudreau wouldn't have any value because of his off year, to which I just posted his production over three years, and the players in that vicinity.

Give the guy credit he can really take things in a different direction.

But yeah teams that swap 27 year old on complimentary contracts for 34 year olds on big tickets don't tend to do well over the long haul!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #146
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of direction...

Do you think they still add? I hope they do, especially if they can trade one of their D for help up front. I still really like the idea of adding Vantanen.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #147
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flying V’s on the third pairing!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #148
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's keep in mind Wheeler has Scheifele as his centre to Gaudreau's Monahan. Does anyone not think Gaudreau would put up more points with a C of that calibre to play with?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #149
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Let's keep in mind Wheeler has Scheifele as his centre to Gaudreau's Monahan. Does anyone not think Gaudreau would put up more points with a C of that calibre to play with?
I don't know if Gaudreau would put up "more" points but I do think there would be more variety in his repertoire with a more playdriving centre.

Anyways my take on the Wheeler/Gaudreau, age aside, is...

I wish they played together on a line. Their skillsets complement each other so hard.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote