Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #181
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Did I ever like part one of Lance. I love how direct he is. The guy may be a lying piece of #### but at least he seems kind of genuine. A really fascinating story. Especially now that everyone can tell the truth.
I'm watching the two part Lance one tonight and he is such a huge ######bag. I didn't pay a lot of attention to Lance and the doping and cheating scandal but watching this really showed Lance in a very negative light, in my opinion. Yes, it is fair to say that Lance was quite open and honest in the documentary but it really doesn't help him.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #182
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm watching the two part Lance one tonight and he is such a huge ######bag. I didn't pay a lot of attention to Lance and the doping and cheating scandal but watching this really showed Lance in a very negative light, in my opinion. Yes, it is fair to say that Lance was quite open and honest in the documentary but it really doesn't help him.
True but I respect a piece of #### who don’t pretend that he has some squeaky clean image. I actually respect him more for just being himself.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #183
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True but I respect a piece of #### who don’t pretend that he has some squeaky clean image. I actually respect him more for just being himself.
Yeah it is great to hear someone be open and honest but from what I have heard and saw he wasn't really accepting any of his actions as mistakes or as being wrong and he isn't remorseful. He is just upset that he was turned in by his buddies and former teammates and he couldn't hide behind the lies anymore. I don't see much to respect in him.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #184
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Armstrong essentially winking at the camera and saying he wouldn't change a thing is all you need to know.

Bully. Cheater. Narcissist.

Even when talking about his family, he emotes no sense of warmth.

And getting defensive about being asked to step away from Livestrong when he finally got caught? Really?

This documentary came across as some sort of 12 step program for him. A formality, almost, like the lawsuit with UPS.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #185
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah it is great to hear someone be open and honest but from what I have heard and saw he wasn't really accepting any of his actions as mistakes or as being wrong and he isn't remorseful. He is just upset that he was turned in by his buddies and former teammates and he couldn't hide behind the lies anymore. I don't see much to respect in him.
So what?

Should this be some mea culpa? Why would you even want that if he’s not genuine?

I don’t expect him to be apologetic. I want to see the real Lance. Plus, let’s be honest, insofar as cycling, he did nothing wrong. The sport was inherently dirty. He shouldn’t apologize imo. It was a sport for dishonest cheaters. Seems to me he was right at home.

As for his foundation, sponsors etc. Yeah he’s a lying scumbag but again, I’d rather he be honest about his feelings than fake regret.

I find it odd that MJ got attacked for allegedly exercising editorial control to make himself look good. Lance seemingly exerts no such control and people are mad that he comes across as a jerk because he was honest.

So what do we want? Docs that only portray perfect people perfectly? That’s no fun.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #186
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s good that he’s “honest” which makes for a more genuine documentary.

But I don’t see much to respect in the guy personally.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #187
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
That’s good that he’s “honest” which makes for a more genuine documentary.

But I don’t see much to respect in the guy personally.
Well I respect his honesty, that’s about it though. And I guess the positive impact he had on cancer.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:14 AM   #188
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
So what?

Should this be some mea culpa? Why would you even want that if he’s not genuine?

I don’t expect him to be apologetic. I want to see the real Lance. Plus, let’s be honest, insofar as cycling, he did nothing wrong. The sport was inherently dirty. He shouldn’t apologize imo. It was a sport for dishonest cheaters. Seems to me he was right at home.

As for his foundation, sponsors etc. Yeah he’s a lying scumbag but again, I’d rather he be honest about his feelings than fake regret.

I find it odd that MJ got attacked for allegedly exercising editorial control to make himself look good. Lance seemingly exerts no such control and people are mad that he comes across as a jerk because he was honest.

So what do we want? Docs that only portray perfect people perfectly? That’s no fun.
I personally didn't think MJ came out looking good in The Last Dance. I understand it was basically his doc but I'm not sure what issues or elements of his career he omitted. The controversial stuff I remembered about his career (the gambling, the "Republicans buy sneakers, too" comment, being a jerk teammate) wasn't whitewashed, in my opinion.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #189
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
So what?

I think what set Lance apart from everyone else was the way he would absolutely destroy someone's life if he felt they would blow his story. I agree that he was open about a lot of this in the doc but I think he's still coming to terms with it. In a weird way, it reminded me a bit of Theoren Fleury's book Playing With Fire. Fleury was open about his life but still had incredible resentment against many people. The way Lance spoke about Floyd Landis reminded me of that. He still holds Landis responsible for outing him.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #190
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Does TSN show these on the same night as they air on ESPN? I'm really interested in watching the Bruce Lee one on June 4.
They do.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #191
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what?

While I haven't seen the documentary yet, I disagree with this one part. He sued or threatened to sue any reporter who dared alluded to his alleged doping. I don't have the details on hand but he played the heavy hand because of his deep pockets when they were telling the truth. That's a sign of a pure sociopath in my mind.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #192
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Yeah I’ll clarify a bit and say the cheating specifically was acceptable in the sport.

The harassment was way beyond the limits of reason.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #193
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Does TSN show these on the same night as they air on ESPN? I'm really interested in watching the Bruce Lee one on June 4.
Just noting that it's on the 7th though, not the 4th.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #194
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Just noting that it's on the 7th though, not the 4th.
Yeah I realized that after the fact, but thanks!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #195
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I only caught a few parts of it. But it was fascinating to watch. I'd much rather watch a guy like Armstrong be the unapologetic sociopath that he was than being some sad remorseful fake looking for sympathy. He didn't really hide who is, and didn't make any bones about it, and I sort of admire that quality. My inner a-hole wishes I had the nerve to be that cut throat.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #196
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed almost every 30 for 30 is now available under TSN VOD on Telus. Great as there are a couple I missed when they aired
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 05:49 PM   #197
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

BUMP

Couple 30 for 30s I watched recently that I’d never seen before.

Bullies of Baltimore. This one is fairly new. Ray Lewis Ravens. It was good but I don’t like him or that team.

The Tuck Rule. About the infamous Brady/Woodson play. It was great seeing Brady and Woodson interact and bicker about the call. I was pleasantly surprised how good this was for an entire episode on a single play.

I also watched a bit of the one about the pool player lady. Seemed pretty good.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:18 PM   #198
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The American Gladiators one was pretty good. Would definitely recommend.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:26 PM   #199
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They need to do one on why the Canadian teams haven’t won a Stanley Cup in thirty years. Coming up on ESPN, our new series, “Zero for Thirty.”
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #200
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
The American Gladiators one was pretty good. Would definitely recommend.
Part 1 was good. I thought part 2 was a huge waste of time. I shut it off.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post: