Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best general manager from the following list
Doug Risebrough 1 0.47%
Al Coates 102 47.66%
Craig Button 5 2.34%
Darryl Sutter 96 44.86%
Jay Feaster 4 1.87%
Brian Burke 6 2.80%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #101
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Calling the Hamonic trade a fiasco is way too strong. It ended up being an overpayment, but the Flames have had several solid years from a middle pairing, tough-as-nails, great character defenseman on a very, very affordable contract. Too many higher end picks for that, but it's not the end of the world either.
It was worse than that IMO.

He overvalued Hamonic, who in my view is an average NHL defender and isn’t the difference between winning and losing most nights.
He undervalued the picks he gave up, overestimating the team he had assembled. A devastating loss of premium draft picks (12,43 and 57) for a team that still needed to be building talent.
The cap space benefit shouldn’t have been worth that much to a team still developing and was wasted on overpriced UFA’s and buyouts.
He was skinned by one of the worst GM’s in the league.

I don’t know what words to use but it was bad.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #102
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Coates should get a pass on the 1997 draft. Only 18 picks of the top 120 and 32 picks out of the total 246 played more than 350 games... it was an absolutely brutal draft. Arguably, he should also get a pass on the 1999 draft too, where there where only 31 picks out of the total 271 made it past the 350 game mark. Those are two of the worst drafts of all time with respect to the talent pool. By comparison, Sutter only picked one NHLer from the greatest draft of all-time (2003) and whiffed on a bunch of solid draft pools during the rest of his tenure.

The conditions that Coates had to work with are also incredibly understated. The Flames payroll was near the bottom of the league at $20-21M in the last two years of his tenure. League average at the time was around $31M and the big market teams (i.e. Avs, Leafs, Rangers, Wings, Stars, Flyers, and Blues) were spending $40M+ per year on player salaries. Imagine trying to assemble a decent team when a third of the league is spending twice as much money.

Sutter should get a ton of credit for pulling together the 03-04 run on a shoestring budget, but being the GM during the cap era for the rest of his tenure makes it infinitely easier to assemble a perennial playoff contender. The salary cap was a game changer.

I voted for Coates on the basis that he:
  • inherited the terrible roster and prospect pool that Risebrough gutted
  • received zero financial support from ownership to acquire higher-end players
  • was subject to two of the worst drafts of all time during his four year tenure as GM
...and in spite of that, he still managed to keep the Flames from being the worst team in the league.

Last edited by boogerz; 07-10-2020 at 07:59 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #103
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It was worse than that IMO.

He overvalued Hamonic, who in my view is an average NHL defender and isn’t the difference between winning and losing most nights.

He undervalued the picks he gave up, overestimating the team he had assembled. A devastating loss of premium draft picks (12,43 and 57) for a team that still needed to be building talent.

The cap space benefit shouldn’t have been worth that much to a team still developing and was wasted on overpriced UFA’s and buyouts.

He was skinned by one of the worst GM’s in the league.

I don’t know what words to use but it was bad.
Exactly how I feel. I thought I was being level headed calling it a fiasco. Disaster was the first word that came to mind. Just a devastating blow so early into a rebuild to spend that kind of pick capital on a total non-difference maker. Worse than that, because of how high he plays in the lineup, he actually hurts the team and his partner. If he was 3rd pairing guy they signed in ufa to that contract I would still be annoyed. But to add 3 high picks on top of it? Gross.

We talk about lack of assets and such but that trade is a major reason why. Others were death by a thousand cuts, Hamonic was on a whole other level.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote