Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 Friedman: potential CBA modifications as NHL/NHLPA continue negotiations

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-negotiations/

Quote:
The updated rules will carry through 2025-26, although there is a provision for a one-year extension if more than $125 million in escrow is owed to the league. The salary cap for 2020-21 is $81.5 million. The NHL/NHLPA are talking about keeping it there until revenues hit $4.8 billion. At that point, they will use the two years prior to calculate the cap number — meaning the 2022-23 ceiling will be based on 2020-21 revenues. That will give more certainty and planning.

Cap on escrow is 20 per cent next season. Somewhere between 14-18 per cent in 2021-22, depending on 2020-21 revenue. Then we go 10 per cent in 2022-23, with a maximum of six per cent over the remaining term (if there is an extra year, the escrow cap will be at nine per cent). There will be a 10 per cent salary deferral next season. It will be repaid during the final three years of this CBA.

Olympic participation for 2022 and 2026 is guaranteed pending agreement with the IOC. This year’s playoff fund (a bonus pool of money players earn the longer their team plays) will be doubled to $32 million. It is much higher this year since more teams are eligible and players are coming into a bubble during a pandemic. It will go to $20 million next season. The minimum salary will rise to $750,000 next season and reach $800,000 by the end of this deal.

There are some interesting modifications:

• No-move and no-trade clauses now travel with a player who has agreed to lift one, even if they haven’t kicked in (previously, the acquiring team had to agree).

• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).

• Year-by-year variability: six-year contracts that are front-loaded and worth at least 7.5 per cent of the cap cannot exceed 35 per cent between the highest and lowest salary amounts. Rules for other contracts remain the same (I’ve heard players and teams will consider back-loading new contracts because escrow is capped at a lower number and cash flow should improve for clubs).

• No changes to signing bonuses

*There are no more conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing with the acquiring team. For example, the New Jersey Devils’ current third-rounder from Arizona in the Taylor Hall deal upgrades if he re-signs with the Coyotes. Agents and NHLPA staff felt it hurt players’ value.
Also on RTP: any player can opt out without penalty and other safety measures in the article
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
*There are no more conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing with the acquiring team. For example, the New Jersey Devils’ current third-rounder from Arizona in the Taylor Hall deal upgrades if he re-signs with the Coyotes. Agents and NHLPA staff felt it hurt players’ value.
I like that one.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

just get it done...a lockout or strike will not be tolerated in this new world we live in

Last edited by dino7c; 07-03-2020 at 03:13 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like all those modifications. In particular, if a player finds a fit with a team at the deadline, if there's a conditional pick, it discourages the team from signing that player, so it's really bad for both sides
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you cap escrow, what’s the mechanism if HRR fall below the threshold amount? Do player salaries simply exceed 50% at that point?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If you cap escrow, what’s the mechanism if HRR fall below the threshold amount? Do player salaries simply exceed 50% at that point?
Obviously, neither side could predict empty arena games when they signed the CBA. I imagine that suddenly having to give back half their salary would bankrupt a lot of players, plus with the danger of playing in the pandemic, I think the players has a lot of leverage in this negotiation
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No 35+ contracts will make it a lot easier for the Flames to extend Giordano after his current deal expires. He'll be 38 when it expires and I expect the Flames will probably look at a 2- or 3-year deal to take him to 40 or 41.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If I'm understanding right they would exceed 50% temporarily but would have to pay back that difference over the next few years.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
No 35+ contracts will make it a lot easier for the Flames to extend Giordano after his current deal expires. He'll be 38 when it expires and I expect the Flames will probably look at a 2- or 3-year deal to take him to 40 or 41.
I don't think that would have been an issue for the Flames and Giordano. Both sides would probably be happy to do 1 year deals until Gio retires, assuming the current relationship continues through the years.

Where this will make a difference is for the Kovalchuk type UFAs, making it a lot less riskier committing term to them.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Report: Blues cancel practices due to 'multiple' positive COVID-19 tests
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #11
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

The conditional pick on resigning definitely hurts the players value with the team he is traded to. Good for them to put that rule in.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if this change will result in more sign and trades like the Stone trade? If you can’t get compensation for a traded player signing on the new team then GMs can at least try to get an extension signed to increase the trade value.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
The conditional pick on resigning definitely hurts the players value with the team he is traded to. Good for them to put that rule in.
I feel like it is going to lessen the returns for a player.

Coyotes would not give up 2 1st and prospects for a rental Hall but if they can sign him and win a round the Devils will get this and next years first.

I wonder if this will lead to more sign and trades (or trades with a deal in principle) with rental players similar to what happened with Pageau this year or Stone in 2019?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams will just have to pay full price for a player and take the risk that they won't re-sign instead of attaching a conditional pick that waters down the value. At least that's how I see it.

I think it will help even more when it comes to players with more than a year left on their deals. Like if the Flames trade Johnny this off season, they won't have to have some BS 2022 pick attached to the deal that the value changes on based on whether or not he'll re up with them.

Tre won't have to listen to some GM whine "oh we can't be sure Johnny will sign an extension with us. We can't even talk extension for a year yet, so instead of 2 picks in 2020 plus a prospect and roster player, we'll just give you one pick for 2020 and then attach a second pick in 2022 and if he signs with us it will be a higher pick"

You get every GM on the east coast pulling that crap and then you're waiting two years for that asset to come to fruition and you don't even have a clue how valuable it will be.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-03-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #15
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the NMC and NTC sticks with the player for the duration of the contract. If he waives it for a trade, it will only be a one-off situation and the NMC/NTC remains for the new team after he got traded.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I like the NMC and NTC sticks with the player for the duration of the contract. If he waives it for a trade, it will only be a one-off situation and the NMC/NTC remains for the new team after he got traded.
I don't, I hate it because it seems like every other year the Flames get royally screwed by someone with a NTC or NMC.

I can just imagine how many times it happens and we don't even hear about it.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #17
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
It should be that way. It’s in the contract, the team is trading for the contract knowing what is involved. Dos that mean that currently the NTC does not move with the player at all? When would it and when wouldn’t it move?
Old 07-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #18
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like the 35+ rule change, the NTC/NMC change and the change to conditional picks.

The part I like about the 35+ change is it forces those deals to either be flat or escalating in value, which allows those players to sign for term, but eliminates the use back-diving years.

The NMC/NTC change I think is simply fair, an acquiring team should not be able to change the terms of an agreed upon contract.

I hate conditional picks, I'd like to see all eliminated. But at least this limits them to almost completely being performance/health based.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:02 AM   #19
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
It should be that way. It’s in the contract, the team is trading for the contract knowing what is involved. Dos that mean that currently the NTC does not move with the player at all? When would it and when wouldn’t it move?
Currently, the acquiring team gets to chose, which IMO is fine for guys like Lucic where he could veto the trade if they don't honor it, but was completely unfair to players whose clauses haven't kicked in yet because it was negotiated into the contract to start at a certain point, they should still get that.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 01:55 AM   #20
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Currently, the acquiring team gets to chose, which IMO is fine for guys like Lucic where he could veto the trade if they don't honor it, but was completely unfair to players whose clauses haven't kicked in yet because it was negotiated into the contract to start at a certain point, they should still get that.
So it only has to do with clauses that haven't kicked in yet? I believed if a player waived his clause once he didn't have to, but that goes against what I've learnt about the Lucic deal.

So its more of a signing a player into UFA years, where he gets to earn NMC/NTC but trading him before that clause kicks in, the next team still has to honour when that clause kicks in.

I can't believe it wasn't already that way, no wonder why they are fighting for this.