Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Every NHL Teams WORST Decision Of The Past 10 Years

Edmonton gets the double whammy having been indirectly involved in Pittsburgh's worst decision.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-26-2020 at 12:42 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Oilers got off easy. Selecting the clear cut #1 player in the draft isn’t a bad decision.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well they could've and should've traded the pick for an NHL Defenseman. But yes he was the clear number 1 at the time. Could've also gone with trading a 1st (matt Barzall) to get Griffen Reinhart. Or trading Taylor Hall for Larson, or trading Eberle for Strome, or the Lucic signing. The following were all bad moves when they were completed and are still bad moves for the organization today.

As for the Flames, I think trading Iginla for nothing of significance was a worse move then the Neal signing. Interesting to see that the best teams over the last 10 years have made very minor and very few "mistakes" while the Edmontons and Buffaloes along with Ottawa remain tire fires.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-26-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers' worst decision was G. Reinhart for Barzal.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Barzal for Reinhart, Yakupov, Hall 1 for 1, turning an Eberle into a Gagner magic trick, ####ing up Puljujarvi.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp

Last edited by Jacks; 06-26-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Oilers got off easy. Selecting the clear cut #1 player in the draft isn’t a bad decision.
Rumour is that their scouts didn't want Yakupov but management stepped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The Oilers' worst decision was G. Reinhart for Barzal.
Terrible trade regardless but they didn't trade Barzal, they traded a draft pick. Barzal fell in the draft and the Isles got lucky, they could easily have picked Senyshyn.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Terrible trade regardless but they didn't trade Barzal, they traded a draft pick. Barzal fell in the draft and the Isles got lucky, they could easily have picked Senyshyn.

I was shocked when New Jersey didn't take Barzal at 6th. And then he just kept dropping, for some reason. One of the most skilled players in that draft, I'm not sure why scouts didn't like him.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers worst decision was founding the team in 71.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post

Okay, we'll go with your take that it was for picks, so 16th OA and 33rd OA for G. Reinhart.

Look at who else was on the board, even if Barzal was picked. To save you time, here are the remainder of the first rounders, some that you should familiar with:

Kyle Connor (17th OA)
Thomas Chabot (18th OA)
Yevgeni Svechnikov (19th OA)
Joel Eriksson Ek (20th OA)
Colin White (21st OA)
Ilya Samsonov (22nd OA)
Brock Boeser (23rd OA)
Travis Konecny (24th OA)
Jack Roslovic (25th OA)
Noah Juulsen (26th OA)
Jacob Larsson (27th OA)
Anthony Beauvillier --> Isles traded 33rd OA and 72nd OA to move up 5 spots. So, one could argue that it was Beauvillier and Barzal for Reinhart and a 2015 3rd, which makes the trade far worse.

I can stop right there, because that's 5 players bolded the Oilers could've chosen. But they didn't. They instead traded for their precious Oil King that will go down as one of the worst trades they've ever made. I have no evidence to back this up (maybe someone does), but they could've had a Dougie Hamilton with those picks, in fact, I believe Chiarelli wanted Hamilton and Sweeney traded Hamilton to Calgary instead in spite. So, what does Chia do? He does what Chia does best, a panic trade.

Could you imagine Connor or Boeser flanking McDavid? Chabot and Larsson as a pairing? Konecny causing us havoc with strong two-way play and snarl mirroring what M. Tkachuk already does to them? Samsonov with the current potential of being an elite goaltender for the Capitals, imagine if the Oilers had him? You can top that off with Beauvillier as the 3C behind McDavid and Draisaitl if he makes it to 33rd OA. Heck, the Oilers could have picked Aho with 33rd OA (Aho was 35th OA).

The reasons go on. It was a panic trade and a trade I firmly believe has detained Edmonton from being a powerhouse in the current weak Pacific Division. More than Hall/Larsson (Larsson is at least a top 4 D), and Yakupov was a top prospect that just simply didn't pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I was shocked when New Jersey didn't take Barzal at 6th. And then he just kept dropping, for some reason. One of the most skilled players in that draft, I'm not sure why scouts didn't like him.
I think it was because he was injured during the 14/15 season. Kind of what happened to Veleno just recently. I really wanted the Flames to figure out a way to get him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're talking about the oilers here, unlikely that they would have picked one of the good players. Even if they did they probably would have screwed up the players development. Anyway, I said it was a terrible trade.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d rank the Bouwmeester and Regehr trades up there as the Flames worst moves. Unlike Iginla there was no need to trade either of them at the time and Feaster could have held out for much better offers.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I’d rank the Bouwmeester and Regehr trades up there as the Flames worst moves. Unlike Iginla there was no need to trade either of them at the time and Feaster could have held out for much better offers.
The Regehr cleared up cap space for the Flames to re-sign Tanguay.
So timing was definitely a factor there.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #14
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouwmeester was the Flames worst trade by far...he still had over a year left on his deal, played for team Canada on the greatest d ever assembled the next season

Feaster didn't even wait for the ####ing trade deadline for some leverage when he had another year on the contract as a safety net
Old 06-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fricken Neal.

If this rebuild doesn't ever bear fruit I will forever blame that summer as the double miss that set the Flames off course.

They made the big trade that sent a disgruntled Hamilton away but managed to find gold with Lindholm and also Hanifin to an extent.

But then ROR gets moved and Treliving missed the boat on that one. Part of me wonders if at that point the newly acquired part time C Lindholm was part of the reason why BT didn't offer more than St. Louis did, or maybe it was also because they still had hope Bennett would get back on track with a new coach (Peters was hired that summer as well). Even still, should have got that one done.

Then he goes out and signs Neal, which I was happy about I admit. What a double whammy miss in hind sight.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeesh. Good lookin' out on that Griffin trade Chia. Could you imagine the Oilers with McDerpy, then a guy even faster on the same team?
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #17
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank the good lord for the Griffin trade. Imagine of the oilers had landed mcdavid and Barzal in the same draft?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #18
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Bouwmeester was the Flames worst trade by far...he still had over a year left on his deal, played for team Canada on the greatest d ever assembled the next season

Feaster didn't even wait for the ####ing trade deadline for some leverage when he had another year on the contract as a safety net
I guess he just couldn't wait to Feast.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #19
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Edmonton gets the double whammy having been indirectly involved in Pittsburgh's worst decision.
Perhaps the most annoying voice on the internet? Talk normally.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 06-26-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:18 AM   #20
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Perhaps the most annoying voice on the internet? Talk normally.
He also has some of the worst takes out of all the hockey YouTubers IMO.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote